C-sections

Questions for recent c-section mom's...

This is going to my third, but I've forgotten... Smile

1) How long from baby out did it take you to get stitched up and brought to recovery?

2) If you had family in the waiting room, when did they meet the baby? On the way to recovery? A couple hours later? I'm going to have like twelve family members (urgh) waiting in the waiting room but I've forgotten when they really met the other kids. I'm assuming not right after I'm stitched up, right? 

3) When were you able to start trying to walk? Did they remove the catheter before that?

4) How long did it take you to pass gas and be able to start eating?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Questions for recent c-section mom's...

• Hi, my last c/s was almost 2 years ago so my memory is a little fuzzy but I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.  From the time DD came out until being back into recovery I think was about 45 minutes.  She was born at 6:45 and I was in my room recovering by 7:30ish - it took no longer than an hour.

Our family came in to see the baby about an hour after that - 8:30 - not sure if they could have come in sooner, I think they could have if we wanted them too but honestly I wanted some time and even having them at 8:30 was a bit too soon for me.

The nurses had me up and walking that night - 12 hours after surgery - not for a long time but just made me stand and walk to the bathroom and back.  No the catheter wasn't out - I believe they took it out the next morning.  Or maybe they did take it out that night, not sure but it wasn't it longer than 24 hours

I remember passing gas pretty soon after delivery, lol.  It was one of the things the nurses kept asking.  I was on a liquid diet that whole day and was able to have Popsicles, jello, ice cream by lunch time and by the next morning I had a bland post-op breakfast and lunch but a regular dinner.  

My second c/s I felt as if I healed and was able to move around a lot sooner than my first.  At the two week mark I felt pretty good, just minimal soreness. 

HTH!  Good luck to you! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • I just had an unplanned c-section (induction due to BP, failure to progress, baby's heart rate dropping) in December.  Here's how things worked at my hospital...

1.  LO was born at 5:57 PM.  I know we did some pictures and I was able to kiss him in the OR.  Then, he and DH went to the nursery.  It didn't feel like a long time.  I know that by 6:30 I was beginning to BF LO in my room.  (My hospital just has you recover in your PP room).

2.  We didn't have family in the waiting room.  That would have bothered me.  I think this is your call.  I will say, that it would have REALLY bothered me if family (other than DH) got to hold and cuddle LO before me.  If that would bother you, you may want to make it very clear to your DH and nurses that you don't want anyone holding LO until you've had a chance to BF(if you're BFing) and bond a bit. You may want to let your family know too.  In some ways, I'm glad I had an evening c-section...we didn't have visitors until the next day.  It was GREAT!

3.  The nurse had me up at midnight (6 hrs post op) to walk to the bathroom.  They left the catheter in for 24 hours.

4.  I forget when I first passed gas, but I had the regular hospital breakfast the next morning (a little more than 12 hours post op).

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just had my csection last Friday!

1) It took probably 20 min for me to get all closed up and brought to recovery where I spent an hour and had my LO with me and my husband the whole time.

2) My parents actually showed up right after they wheeled me back to the room but we wanted time with he baby first. She was born at 12:29 and our parents came in at around 4.

3) I walked the next day, around 24 hours after. They took the catheter out right before that.

4) The first night I could have jello, broth, juice etc. the next day I could go back to foods but had to take it easy. I started passing gas I think the third day. The gas pains were sometimes worse than the section pain,

All the best to you!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks ladies!

Ditto Kiki- with my first c-section I don't remember any gas pains. With my second one, I was dying and told the nurse that they must have left something in me the gas pains were so bad. Hoping to avoid that this time! :-) 

Yeah, the fact that SO MANY family is going to be there is freaking me out. I'm going to send out an email to everyone and let them know that they are more than welcome to be there; and see the baby as she is being walked to the recovery room; but no one is getting into the room until later that day. :-)

• I will preface this with I have a horrible concept of time. RCS was 2/1 

1. I would say about 20 minutes at the most. i was headed to the OR at 750a, he was born by 815a, when i looked at the clock in the room it was about 845a.

2. No family waiting but DD and my mom did come up immediately after. I will say that other than siblings, no children were allowed up to see the baby. After the baby was cleaned up and brought to me they did let family in. If you don't want them to come in immediately just let the nurses know, I'm sure they can help.

3. My OB said I could try that night but the night nurse wouldn't have it. It wasn't until I started complaining A LOT and demanding she unhook everything (including the catheter) that she did, in the middle of the night. I got up the next morning to walk and shower.

4. I was able to eat immediately after. In fact they brought me breakfast (he was born at 815a). I passed gas sometime that day, I believe it was later that afternoon.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My experience was this week:

1.) We started at 7 AM, we were in recovery & BF by 8:15.

2) We asked only my parents & DH's to be at the hospital. They came in after we had time as a family of 3. I had my DS "nursing" & skin to skin for about 45 minutes then my DH held him, along with him taking a bath & doing some other little things. We let the grandparents in about 9:30, so hour & 15 together as a family. I have 4 siblings & we asked them to wait until 11/12 AM to come up to the hospital.

3) I wanted to walk with in 12 hours (just because the advice people have given on this board), but with some visitors being there, I decided to tell the nurse we'd do it after everyone left. Which was about 9 PM (14 hours after surgery) we walked for about 10 minutes in the room. We walked with the bag :-) Sexy! We waited to take out the catheter until 7 AM the next morning (24 hours) - I got up on my own about 8 AM & didn't need much help from then on out.

4) UGH! Pass gas! I was so close a few times before 9 PM, the first day. but, I was STARVING so my nurse went ahead and let me eat a turkey sandwich very slowly! Took me about an hour (just because I didn't want to rush it) then I was able to actually pass gas "well" around midnight.

Hope this helps!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1) How long from baby out did it take you to get stitched up and brought to recovery? Baby came out and I went into recovery about 30 minutes later.

2) If you had family in the waiting room, when did they meet the baby? On the way to recovery? A couple hours later? I'm going to have like twelve family members (urgh) waiting in the waiting room but I've forgotten when they really met the other kids. I'm assuming not right after I'm stitched up, right?  We did not have any family in the waiting room, so I can't comment.

3) When were you able to start trying to walk? Did they remove the catheter before that? I was up and walking about 6 hours after.  They did not remove the cath until the next morning.

4) How long did it take you to pass gas and be able to start eating?  DD was born at 9:45am and I was eating about 4 hours later.  I had chicken broth and jello for that first meal, and then I had a grilled cheese for dinner that night.  I started passing gas that night, but didn't have a BM until 2 days later.  My stomach pushing muscles weren't back to full working order for a few more days.  Ugh, that was really the worst part of the c/s.  Be sure they're giving you anti-gas meds and stool softeners.  But actually getting up and moving around and drinking a lot of water was the best for me. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imagesoveryexcited:

1) How long from baby out did it take you to get stitched up and brought to recovery?

about 45-60 min I think

2) If you had family in the waiting room, when did they meet the baby? On the way to recovery? A couple hours later? I'm going to have like twelve family members (urgh) waiting in the waiting room but I've forgotten when they really met the other kids. I'm assuming not right after I'm stitched up, right? 

My hospital had a 2 hour wait policy before people can come in, so I had 2 hours with the baby and DH first

3) When were you able to start trying to walk? Did they remove the catheter before that?

Tried to walk following day, got out of bed to a seat that night (c/s was 2:30pm)

I was eating that day soup / jell-o, the next day a huge Italian sub!

336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. I have no clue. Never saw a clock

2. They met him about an hour after I went back to our room. At my hospital, you recover in the same room.

3. He was born at 1:30ish and I walked to the bathroom that night. I don't remember

4. I was eating that night. I had "easy" foods a couples hours after and soup for dinner.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • 1. I think it was <30min.

2. Because my hospital does not have a seperate recovery room, they take you to your room and watch you for the first hour after. So to answer you question, family was able to meet him an house after he was born.

3. I stood up about 12 hours later and was able to get up and walk to the bathroom the next morning which is when they took out the catheter.My C-section was at 6pm and I was up walking somehwere around 7/8 am.

4. I was able to eat breakfast the next morning and passed gas somewhere around the same time. It took about 5 days for me to go number 2 though.

• 1.  My OB worked rather quickly, I thought.  After I saw my little guy and my hubby and the nurse took him back to our room to get cleaned up, the OB finished stitching and I went to recovery.  I was barely in there and my hubby and nurse brought the baby in.  We hung out there for about 45 minutes - the nurse helped me to breastfeed. 

2.  We had no family at the hospital which was our choice and I do not regret it one bit.  You never know if something will be delayed, etc.  We had planned for a vaginal birth but I had an emergency c-section.  We called family after we settled in to let them know our little one had arrived.  It was like 3am so we appreciated that no one came until around lunch time.  No one other than my hubby and baby were allowed in recovery.  

3.  My cath was removed 4 hrs later when I got up to use the bathroom.

4.  I was on liquids only for a full two days before as I was originally being monitored and then induced.  I was on liquids for the first part of the day PP and then slowly added foods back into my diet.  I was on a regular diet before going home.  I did not have problems passing gas but didn't have a bowel movement until like 5 days after the c-section.  1- I was on a liquid diet for a while, 2- pain meds can cause constipation.  I was never miserable but took the stool softeners as recommended. 

•  

1) How long from baby out did it take you to get stitched up and brought to recovery? After DS was out, it took about 45 mins to stitch me up

2) If you had family in the waiting room, when did they meet the baby? Technically I was only supposed to be in recovery for 1 hour and they could have met him then, but I hemmorhaged and was in recovery for 8 hours

3) When were you able to start trying to walk? Did they remove the catheter before that? I was up and walking about 8 hours after I got to my postpardum room and once I made it to the bathroom they took the catherter out.

4) How long did it take you to pass gas and be able to start eating? I don't remember exactly, but not long and they let me eat right away when I got out of recovery

Married my best friend 5/2/2008
    TTC our first miracle since November 2010
    BFP 3/16/2011 Chemical Pregnancy 3/20/2011

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • 1.  about 20 min.

2. The met LO in the recovery room after we had been in there for about 15-20 min and I had a chance to spend some time with DS and try to nurse. 

3.  They had me walking about 12 hours after surgery.  I can't remember about the catheter.

4. ?? I can't remember and it wasn't even 3 months ago!

• imagesoveryexcited:

1. About 30 min I think

2. They offered to let my mom see the baby on the way to recovery but she had gone to get dinner. My family saw him a few hours later when I got into my room

3. I was woken up exactly 8 hrs after csection...at midnight, to start walking. Catheter was removed in morning I think

4. They let me eat the next afternoon, even though it took me 48 hrs to fart. OMG the pain! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesoveryexcited:

1. About an hour, maybe? 2. No family, we are in Germany, they are in the states. 3. I got up and stood about 5 hours later, not with permission, I could feel my legs fine so had dh help me stand at the side of the bed. Cath came out about 12 hours later. I ate a power bar that night (I did not ask). I had no nausea and just an epi.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• imagesoveryexcited:

1) How long from baby out did it take you to get stitched up and brought to recovery?  I'm thinking about 30-40 minutes however they knocked me out after DH and LO went to the nursery.  I woke up in recovery.

2) If you had family in the waiting room, when did they meet the baby? On the way to recovery? A couple hours later? I'm going to have like twelve family members (urgh) waiting in the waiting room but I've forgotten when they really met the other kids. I'm assuming not right after I'm stitched up, right?  No family waiting.  We didn't see LO for a couple hours - he had to stay in the nursery to be checked out since he was early.  I think they brought him by two hours after he was born for skin to skin and BF.

3) When were you able to start trying to walk? Did they remove the catheter before that?  I had my cs at 5pm and I think I got the catheter removed and was told to walk around noon the next day.  I also got to shower then. 

4) How long did it take you to pass gas and be able to start eating?  I didn't have to wait to pass gas before eating.  They gave me some frozen green apple stuff around 10pm and finally gave me ice water around then (if I promised to just sip - I was dying).  I got gram crackers around midnight after I started to feel nauseous (I drank too much water too fast I think).  I got full breakfast the next morning.  I think I was passing gas by noon that morning.  I hadn't eaten since the day before my cs.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimageVisit The Nest!
    imageimageVisit The Nest!
  • 1) It took an hour from the time they wheeled me down to surgery, baby out, stitched up and wheeled back to my room.  There's no recovery room, I just went back to my room.

2)My parents and cousin were waiting in my room while I was down in surgery, so they were there to meet us when I got wheeled back to my room an hour later.

3) DD was born at 8:40 p.m.  They had me up and walking next morning.  I couldn't tell you the time.  8?  They took they catheter out before I got up.

4) I ate a big breakfast first thing the next morning.  I was starving.  I don't remember ever passing gas?  Maybe the last day I was there, so three days later? I know it took me over a week to have a b/m.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • 1) It took probably 30 minutes to get to recovery. I got to meet DS for the first time about 45 minutes after he was delivered.

2) They were able to watch through the nursery glass while he was cleaned up and weighed, but didn't get to meet him until we were all in our room, maybe an hour or two after birth.

3) I started walking the next day and it HURT. I hated getting out of bed and took the fastest shower ever just so I could sit back down. They did remove my catheter first, and let me go to the bathroom on my own the next day too (roughly 24 hours after delivery)

4) They let me eat a full meal the next day as well. I was starving (21 hour labor, hadn't eaten in almost 2 days - just fluids) and ordered chicken parmesan. It was marvelous.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• 1) How long from baby out did it take you to get stitched up and brought to recovery?

About 45 minutes after he was born, I got to go to recovery and hold/feed him. I met him right away after they pulled him out though

I didn't have family in the waiting room. Just DH with me - and he got to be with DS the whole time they were stitching me up.

The next morning I got up. They removed the catheter, and I was sad about it. After being pregnant and peeing every five minutes, it was nice to not have to get out of bed! After they removed it, of course, I had to get out of bed and that was painful. But necessary. The quicker and more I got myself moving the faster the recovery, I was told

I began eating the next day. I had DS at 3.42pm, and was eating solid food (not the liquid) around 10am. I passed gas sometime that day too. It was weird, I wanted to push the ahem gas out... but had no tummy muscle control to help!

•  1) How long from baby out did it take you to get stitched up and brought to recovery? I honestly didnt keep track of time. But It all went by fast.

2) If you had family in the waiting room, when did they meet the baby? On the way to recovery? A couple hours later? I'm going to have like twelve family members (urgh) waiting in the waiting room but I've forgotten when they really met the otherkids. I'm assuming not right after I'm stitched up, right?  

Where I had my son they took you out in the hallway on the way to recovery and you show the family,friends the baby then and they'll give time for them to snap some pics of you and baby. And then they take you to recovery.  

3) When were you able to start trying to walk? Did they remove the catheter before that? The next day after I had him. They wouldn't let me til they took the catheter out and I peed in the toilet.

4) How long did it take you to pass gas and be able to start eating? I started eating that next morning. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"