Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Play date with child who has rsv

My friend asked me to come over tomorrow for dinner and a movie but her son was diagnosed with rsv 10 days ago. Her son is 4 months and my daughter is 3 months. I don't think it's a good idea even though I know that it's spread from children sneezing on each other and touching surfaces that have the infected snot saliva etc. I am a major germaphobe so my question is how would you politely say no without making her feel like her son is diseased? I feel bad but not enough to risk my daughter getting sick our dr has had 10-15 cases a day this month!!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Play date with child who has rsv

• Why beat around the bush?  She shouldn't have invited you if her son is sick.  There's no need to say anything except "I think it would be best if we rescheduled since your son isn't feeling well."
  • imageoverture:
    Why beat around the bush?  She shouldn't have invited you if her son is sick.  There's no need to say anything except "I think it would be best if we rescheduled since your son isn't feeling well."

This! I would just tell her that you would feel more comfortable if you waited a bit longer. Some parents are not aware/sensitive about illness prevention and unfortunately, this kind of situation will come up again.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerv
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe keeping it simple and just say that something came up and you can't make it....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would just tell her that RSV is extremely contagious and you don't want to risk it. I don't see a reason to lie.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't see why you would need to lie, just explain that you don't want your baby to be exposed to it. There's no way I would go. It's just too much of a risk for not much reward.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would just be honest and let them know that you don't feel comfortable having your child around others that are sick. There is no reason to lie or beat around the bush. I think its unreasonable for her to ask you, honestly.

Just let her know what your true feelings are, and that it is nothing personal against her or her kids. You just don't want your baby to get sick. That is a reasonable concern. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageoverture:
    Why beat around the bush?  She shouldn't have invited you if her son is sick.  There's no need to say anything except "I think it would be best if we rescheduled since your son isn't feeling well."

Yes

Logan - 11/09, Lander 08/11, Baby #3 ~It's a girl!!~ EDD: 04/10/14

• I would just bring over a meal and  tell her something like "You probably have been so busy since your LO has been sick. Here is something for your family. Lets get together when everyone is feeling better."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"