Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Breastfeeding question. Please help!!

I have been EBF my DD and she is now 4 months old. It does not seem like my breasts are as full and my baby only eats for about min on each side. She also cries a lot while she is eating, like she is fruterated. I can hear her swallowing for about 5 min on each side, but after that, not really. Sometimes I even even her a few ounces of formula to see if she is still hungry and she usually sucks it down..but I know a lot of babies will over eat, so I don't know if that means anything. Has anyone else expirienced something similar?? I'm really afraid she will get dehydrated and I won't know. PLEASE HELP

Re: Breastfeeding question. Please help!!

• Have you tried weighing her before and after she eats to see how much she is actually getting?
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • try pumping and see how much comes out.. pump and feed every 3 hrs... ... this way u will now exactly how much is in her.... 
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If she is having enough wet diapers she is not dehydrated. 

Babies get more efficient as they get older and your milk supply will adjust to her needs so you won't necessarily feel as full.  

The weighed feeding pp recommended is a good idea but chances are she is getting plenty.  If you are concerned, let her nurse a few more times each day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine has been doing the same thing the last few days. During the day she acts satisfied enough and will go longer between feedings but at night and first thing in the morning before we get up it feels like she is constantly on my boob. I fed her at 1pm today, and then went to feed her just after 3 but she fell asleep before I got to her so I pumped and I only got 3 oz out of both. I don't know if its possibly a 4 month growth spurt. Anywho, no real advice besides just make sure you keep hydrated and nurse often to help satisfy her. I know if I relax and she keeps trying to nurse I will have more letdowns. So maybe try just keeping her on there instead of the formula. The more you nurse the more your supply will adjust to what she needs.
    anyone can be passionate, it takes real lovers to be silly
  • imagegymnst1013:

If she is having enough wet diapers she is not dehydrated. 

Babies get more efficient as they get older and your milk supply will adjust to her needs so you won't necessarily feel as full.  

The weighed feeding pp recommended is a good idea but chances are she is getting plenty.  If you are concerned, let her nurse a few more times each day.

This. Also your boobs feeling full or empty as well as babies behavior are not good indicators of if you have enough milk. Check out kellymom.com if you haven't already. Great tips and info there!   

• Has her poop changed colors? Green? Watery? My daughter was fighting me too very fussy at the breast I looked it up and thought it was an over supply with her symptoms but took her to the dr just in case and it turned out she had reflux which is pretty common. Also once my milk supply was regulated I didn't feel as full and I stopped leaking. If you are worried about your supply you can take fenugreek pills 3 once a day to increase it. Babies will always suck down fast from the bottle because it's easier and a different way of eating I was confused about that too but my lactation consultant helped me. Also your pump will not always get as much milk as your baby does so don't worry to much about that unless you strictly pump. If you get less and less milk you may need different size flanges for your pump. Most hospitals have a free lactation consultant on hand and mine really helped me if you dont find any answers on here i would def try to find one! HTH!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Your breasts might not be as full if you're giving her formula.  You'll train her to wait on that (because it's easier and faster) and fuss at the breast.  Then she won't take as much BM and your body will produce less.  I would try stepping off the formula and getting her back on only BM to see if the bottle preference is the problem.  There could be any number of other issues - thrush, gas, colic, reflux.  Does she have white spots in her mouth anywhere?  That could be thrush and it's painful in their mouths.  That would definitely make her cry while eating. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"