2nd Trimester

Intro and question about day care

Hi ladies,

I suppose it's time to start camping out over here...I'm 14 weeks along with baby #1, and happy to be moving into the second trimester!

Might as well start off with a question, so here goes. About when did most of you decide to start researching day care centers? I feel like it's a little too soon for me to start, but DH and haven't decided yet if I'm going to keep working once the baby comes...it's all going to come down to how much day care costs, and whether or not it's worth it for me to go back to work (I would probably only be working part time, at least for a while).

Are any of you not sure yet whether you're going to do the SAHM thing? About when did you start doing the serious research? 

Re: Intro and question about day care

• I started asking friends for daycare recommendations as soon as we announced our pregnancy. All have been full so far, so I'd say it's never too early.
    June 2012 Mom (2.5 yr old boy), July 2015 Mom (team green), Babywearing newbie/enthusiast
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm sort of in the same boat, though I have done some research on day cares. I've put our baby on the wait-list for one in particular that's part of the University I work at. We're still not entirely sure whether we I will be a SAHM or not, but we want to be prepared for the possibility that I'll be going back to work full time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome!!! If I decide to go that route, I will probably start looking after my 20 week mark, bc there is usually a waiting list at the really good day cares. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I started getting on wait list at 9-10 weeks.  I found 1 daycare that I liked that will let you reserve a guaranteed spot (as long as they will have one ) and I was able to reserve the last availabe spot they had for Oct/Nov, all the other places I checked had waiting list that in most cases are several months to a year long.

Daycare infant rooms fill up fast in most areas, so you probably want to start looking soon.  If you plan to use an in home provider, they typically don't hold spaces for as long as  a daycare will so you can wait until later to talk with them.

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

imageimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I make more than DH, so there was no question I was going back to work FT after DD was born.  Luckily, there was a day care in my office building where I got a discount and would be able to stop in throughout the day.  I guess I really didn't do much research, but I put my name on the list almost as soon as I got a BFP because some friends waited too late and couldn't get a spot there.  We moved DD when she was 2 to a different daycare, and I waited until 12 weeks to put my name on the list there.  They give priority to those with a child already enrolled there though.  If you're even considering daycare, it is better to research and get your name on a list asap so you can get in where you want if that is what you decide to do.
  • It really depends on your area. Where I am the wait lists are 12-18 months long and the infant rooms are the longest. I would call around and just see what wait lists are like and most places will give you an idea of pricing.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Since cost of daycare seems to be a deciding factor in whether you'll SAHM or not, I'd suggest starting to research now.  You don't have to commit to anything but lots of people are majorly surprised to find infant daycare ranges from $35 a day in some places to $1700 a month or more in others.  You won't know until you start looking.  Looking now will also give you an idea of the availability of places in your area.  Some places have looong waiting lists so it's better for you to at least get your thoughts straightened out early.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageelmoali:
    Since cost of daycare seems to be a deciding factor in whether you'll SAHM or not, I'd suggest starting to research now.  You don't have to commit to anything but lots of people are majorly surprised to find infant daycare ranges from $35 a day in some places to $1700 a month or more in others.  You won't know until you start looking.  Looking now will also give you an idea of the availability of places in your area.  Some places have looong waiting lists so it's better for you to at least get your thoughts straightened out early.

This.  Where I live a daycare that is certified, and set up as a school-type setting costs about $2000 a month for an infant.  In-home care can cost a bit less, but then they are only state licensed, as opposed to NAEYC certified.  I got on waitlists with my first child when I was 9 weeks along, and still barely got in to my first choice.  Many places will not even let you on the waitlist, as they know they will never be able to accommodate you.  It's easier with this pregnancy, because sibilings get priority, but I was still on the list for Oct 1st before I'd even told my mother I was pregnant.

Please consider more than just out-of-pocket for daycare versus money brought home when calculating the real cost of leaving the workforce.  If you want to be a SAHM, then that may be what's best for you.  If you are deciding on cost alone, then there are bigger picture issues to consider, such as benefits costs, retirement savings and ability to re-enter the workforce.  Being a working mom and being a SAHM are both rewarding, and both challenging, and I know it's a very personal choice.  Good luck!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We started looking a couple of weeks ago and reserved that week. My expected return date to work is sometime in the middle of Sept, but the daycare can't take LO until January (fortunately, I have a generous retired mother who is going to help us in the meantime), but I would say start early--especially if cost is a concern. 
  • We started looking around 15 weeks since some centers have wait lists.  It was a big stresser for us since we both work and i have to go back after 6 weeks, and being that we have quite a commute i wanted to make sure we got into one of the 2 centers in our town.  we got on the list no problem and are very happy with where we chose, and the cost!  one thing less to worry about now :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"