High-Risk Pregnancy

17p shots for cervical length issues?

Hi ladies 

I've been lurking for a week or so and am new to this board. 

I am taking the progesterone because i had premature labor issues with my daughter due to funneling and shortened cervix.  I'm having length u/s every two weeks and so far so good.  I'm on my 4th shot. 

I'm stressing right now because baby was breech and sitting right on my cervix at my anatomay u/s on Friday.  He is lieing extremely low right now and i'm worried that the pressure is not good for my cervical issues.

I was hoping to hear some success stories with the shot to calm my nerves a little!  Thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 17p shots for cervical length issues?

• I started p17 at 18 weeks, even though I did do a stint in the hospital from 24-29 weeks once I got out the baby had moved up off my cervix and even though I stopped the shots 2 weeks ago the cervix is still maintaining.

Good luck to you. Its encouraging that you still have good length and are ahead of the funneling. :)

• I had a cerclage, but my baby boy was breech for the last 11wks and it managed to hold even with him kicking it all.the.time (and his sister on top of him). If they are watching you closely, you should be okay. How far along are you? Best of luck to you!
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

• Loading the player...
  • I'm 19 weeks.  I tried doing my profile but keeps saying i need to enable cookies and i did but it's still not working.  Frustrating!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I went on progesterone suppositories after my cervix measured 2cm at 20 weeks.  My little one was breech until about 30 weeks.  I am now almost 36 weeks, cervix holding at 2cm and just a week away from what my OB calls a "normal patient", LOL!

Good luck to you!!

• I had a cerclage at 12 weeks and they started my shots at 17 weeks.  I am 34 weeks today.  They put me on strict bedrest at 18 wks due to a short cervix and funneling.  I will say that I had scary times months 4 and 5, where the baby was breech, my cervix shortened and she kept kicking at my cerclage.  I had to be monitored on a weekly basis.  Things got much better at 7 months when she moved up and they are going to modify my bedrest.  I know how you feel....but hang in there and follow the drs orders.
  • I am also on the 17p shot.. but I was under the impression that it is not actually meant to help with pre-term labor due to shortened cervix.  That might just be because they haven't done enough studies in those of us blessed with a short cervix. And just because it is not meant for it doesn't mean it can't help. 

I am also on progesterone vaginal suppositories, and I know those ARE indicated for delay of labor in women with shortened cervix.

So far, so good. I reached my first goal on Sunday (28 weeks). Now we are aiming to get to 30weeks (when I had my DD).

It sounds like your doctor is monitoring you closely, which is good, and good for piece of mind. I have read stories of some women on here that had shortened cervix with their previous pregnancies and then didn't for later ones. They say every pregnancy is different, maybe you will luck out with a strong cervix this time? :) 

Good luck and welcome to the board.  

image image image image BabyFruit Ticker
  • they are going to start given me those shots at 16wks to strengthin my cervixs to prevent me from going n2 early labor im a lil nervous bout it but im willing to do WHATEVER it takes to make sure my baby stays in the oven till done lol

• thanks so much for the encouraging words!  i really needed to hear some success stories right now :)

i was on bedrest for 10 weeks with my daughter and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that i don't have to go down that road again!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • LADIES-how was your cervix diagnosed as short? I should say...had you had problems before that made them moniter you closer? I just read that previous LEEPs can cause weakness, issues and I was a little taken back that they wouldn't do this to just check me.. (u/s) to be preventative. ?? Obv they aren't worried...lol...but I am.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Tickerimage

• I am on the shots too.  Stay positive and know you are doing all you can for your baby.    

imageJKS21:
    LADIES-how was your cervix diagnosed as short? I should say...had you had problems before that made them moniter you closer? I just read that previous LEEPs can cause weakness, issues and I was a little taken back that they wouldn't do this to just check me.. (u/s) to be preventative. ?? Obv they aren't worried...lol...but I am.

If you are worried and your doctor doesn't seem to be concerned I would seek a 2nd opinion at the very least to help get more information.  IC can be discovered in many ways by exams and the vaginal ultrasound exam can measure cervical length, sadly some ladies have to suffer one or multiple losses before it is diagnosed, many of those losses in the 2nd trimester.   Multiple procedures and trauma to the cervix can cause IC, some people have IC genetically as well. 

• I have been on the p17 shots since week 21 and had a cerclage placed at 22 weeks. My cervix measured .8 and funneling. Plus, babys head was directly in the cone of funneling. His head has been directly against my stitches since the cerclage was placed. My cervix never measured more than .8 and it never shrunk so I guess the shots worked good. He's been low since week 20 and never moved. I stayed on bedrest since the cerclage because his head was up against my stitches. I'm now 37 weeks and get my cerclage out tomorrow so I hope my story helps to put your fears at ease. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"