Babies: 0 - 3 Months

what do you guys do to help your LO have a bowel movement?

Sometimes mine will go 2 days or so without one and I feel so bad, every now and then he has these screaming fits and I'm afraid it might be because he's constipated :( any suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: what do you guys do to help your LO have a bowel movement?

• You can use a rectal thermometer to help him along. Also you can bicycle his legs.  There are other things you can try (karo syrup, apple juice, etc), but you should definitely talk to your pedi first.
    BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• I bicycle his legs around & kind of push them bent into his abdomen with just enough pressure to help him fart then poop. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told to give DS a very tiny bit of Karo syrup to help move things along. It works, but be prepared for runny poop.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• If it's only 2 days I wouldn't worry about it. My LO often goes 2 days without pooping. He rarely goes any more than that. I would ask your pedi's advice before giving juice or anything to help.
  • My pedi reccomended using the rectal thermometer (it helps him to bear down), a warm bath, and skin to skin contact. The warmth from the last 2 is supposed to help move things along. 
  • How old is your LO? My pediatrician says after 6 weeks it is completely normal for them to go 2-3 days between poops, and it is not constipation or cause for concern.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bicycle her legs but that's more fir gas. My lo is ebf and poops anywhere from 3 times a day to every four days. It's normal
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We started to notice our DD would go when we gave her "air time". We used to put her on the changing table with a prefold cloth diaper under her and she would kick her legs a little and starts going. Now we hold her on a infant potty in the morning and she pees and poops in it. Much easier than sticking things in her anus! 

June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

• 1/2 oz of prune juice.  The ped recommended an oz (or 1 tsp of karo syrup) but I felt that was too much.  I don't worry about it anymore because I know they can go days without pooping and be ok. But she was a preemie and he didn't want her going more than 2 days in the beginning.  Sometimes a warm bath and tummy massage seems to help too. 
  • imageLiz1485:
    If it's only 2 days I wouldn't worry about it. My LO often goes 2 days without pooping. He rarely goes any more than that. I would ask your pedi's advice before giving juice or anything to help.

I agree... 2 days is normal and ok. My ped doesn't like to * interfere* before its been at least 5 days. 

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • infant massage. clockwise light rubbbing on the tummy. Acupressure points in the feet are also proven to help baby have a bowel movment, look them up, I cannot explain properly how to do them, my mom is a massage therapist and showed me. It truely helped(still does) for my toddler and now for LO.

You may also want to change formulas if you are Formula feeding, sometimes the different brands cause tummy issues.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • My LO is 2 months, I was also having concerns about his poopies... At one point he went 6 days without going poop, so I was advised by a nurse to get a q-tip and dip it into vaseline and then rub LO anal with it... DONT PENETRATE you only massage the anal in circles... I havent tried it because I actually went ahead and tried the Karo syrup with the water and it worked... that one time... finally I went to the doc and he had me switch the milk from Similac Advanced to Similac Sensitive adn it has been helping him. The issue I'M having right now is that he eats every 3 hours 3 to 4 oz but then at bedtime 4oz isnt enough, I've given him up to 6 oz!:( my mom suggests I give him a little cereal with his formula at bedtime... isnt he still too little for cereal though???
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"