2nd Trimester

Anyone have to pay for some or all of their anatomy scan?

My insurance is wack and I have to partially pay for my anatomy scan.  I think it'll only end up being 10 or 20% (waiting on the call back) but I'm trying to estimate how much to budget for that.

Also - are there additional ultrasounds after the anatomy scan?  I'll need to budget for those, too.  Thanks so much!

Re: Anyone have to pay for some or all of their anatomy scan?

• I have no idea how much one costs, as ours are free but, to answer your question regarding further ultrasounds, I believe it depends on your level of risk, as well as the practice of your doctor.

For me, I will be receiving many more, but that is just because I am high-risk.  I would highly recommend contacting your doctor and asking.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've had to pay a varying amount on each ultrasound ... between 70 and 120 dollars .. I guess it's because I haven't paid my $500 deductible yet?

I have friends who said they only paid a $20 co-pay at the beginning of their pregnancies and never paid a dime after that so I am a little upset .. but with all the changes to healthcare in the past year or two I guess that's to be expected ..

I'm interested to see what others say.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• Loading the player...
  • total scan for me is 265$ i know this because i had to have U/S for kidney stone at my dr my insurance didnt cover it... now im pregnant they pay 90% of my U/S and I pay like 30 i think per time.
    image baby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH & I are out of pocket for this entire pregnancy...Long story. As for future A/S - that depends on your dr.

• Our deductible is $500 and of course My a/s was one of the first things scheduled this year so I had to pay the entire insurance amount, about $150.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • I'll have to meet my deductible for the year and I have my out of pocket minimum, but I don't have to pay for a certain portion of my a/s.  Most people don't have later u/s, but I needed a growth u/s with DD because she was measuring big for weeks.  That was the only 1 I had after my 20 week a/s.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My deductible is $2500. So basically we pay for all ultrasounds and dr visits until we hit that mark. It all depends on the type of insurance you have.
    Photobucket Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • I paid my 30$ co pay and then a 100$ payment for the whole pregnancy. The only thing I paid for my A/S was 5$ for the DVD.
    Miscarriage at 6 wks 04/11 Miscarriage at 7 weeks 8/11 BFP 10/8/11 - Stick little baby! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ultrasounds fall under our "Labs/Radiation stipend" for our insurance.  So the insurance company will pay $250 per year towards any xrays, ultrasounds, etc.... then we have to meet our insurance deductible before they pay 80% again. 

So, we had to pay $220 (the doctor had to write off $48 due to the insurance agreement, or it would have been $268) for our 18 week A/S, as we had already used the stipend and hadn't yet met the deductible. 

We will have at least one more ultrasound, due to marginal placenta previa.... but if everything had been normal, we probably wouldn't be having another one after the 18 wk A/S.  So it will depend on how your 20 week A/S goes as to whether you have another scan.

Good luck.   

• I'm sorry your insurance is "wack."  I have a $35 copay every time I see the doctor plus I have to pay a total of $750 toward any diagnostic testing (ie. ultrasounds) and labs out of pocket and then 20% of each procedure after that $750 up to $1500 per year. So...it really doesn't sound like your insurance is that bad.

Anyway, it's up to your doctor if you have more ultrasounds after the a/s. It all depends on how your baby is developing and what the doctor feels comfortable with. Just be glad you're not having multiples. I have ultrasounds every 2 weeks until 3rd trimester and then one per week and then from 32 weeks until the end I'll have them 2x per week. It wears me out just thinking about it!!

Good luck to you!!

• Our deductible is $1500 and we obviously haven't met that yet. So we have to pay a little over $800 for our a/s. We don't have the ability to put that down all at once for something as minor as an ultrasound and they won't let us do payments instead. I have an appointment with my ob this week and we're going to have a talk with her about this.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageallisonmarie22:

I'm sorry your insurance is "wack."  I have a $35 copay every time I see the doctor plus I have to pay a total of $750 toward any diagnostic testing (ie. ultrasounds) and labs out of pocket and then 20% of each procedure after that $750 up to $1500 per year. So...it really doesn't sound like your insurance is that bad.

Anyway, it's up to your doctor if you have more ultrasounds after the a/s. It all depends on how your baby is developing and what the doctor feels comfortable with. Just be glad you're not having multiples. I have ultrasounds every 2 weeks until 3rd trimester and then one per week and then from 32 weeks until the end I'll have them 2x per week. It wears me out just thinking about it!!

I didn't go into all the details of my insurance, believe me I'll be paying much more than just the 10 or 20% of the u/s bill.  I didn't post all my expenses because I was just trying to estimate this current bill.  I'm not saying it's bad at all, there are a lot of stipulations I didn't post.  Not trying to sound ungrateful, I have many more expenses to come.

And also, we would have loved to have multiples, we had suspected twins with one lost early on - so that's kind of a sensitive topic.  We would have loved to have both babies growing right now, believe me!

Good luck to you!!

• imageallisonmarie22:

I'm sorry your insurance is "wack."  I have a $35 copay every time I see the doctor plus I have to pay a total of $750 toward any diagnostic testing (ie. ultrasounds) and labs out of pocket and then 20% of each procedure after that $750 up to $1500 per year. So...it really doesn't sound like your insurance is that bad.

Good luck to you!!

I didn't go into all the details of my insurance, believe me I'll be paying much more than just the 10 or 20% of the u/s bill.  I didn't post all my expenses because I was just trying to estimate this current bill.  I'm not saying it's bad at all, there are a lot of stipulations I didn't post.  Not trying to sound ungrateful, I have many more expenses to come.

And also, we would have loved to have multiples, we had suspected twins with one lost early on - so that's kind of a sensitive topic.  We would have loved to have both babies growing right now, believe me!

• We had to pay for part of our nt scan.  The total cost was about $200.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We pay a 20% co-pay which I thought was good because every other aspect of our insurance policy is great...but now I am wondering...is that not good?! For our first ultrasound (dating purposes), the bill ended up being 85 bucks to us...
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • My goodness! You all are making me feel lucky! I was having to pay $20 co-pay & the hospital tried to get me to sign up for a payment plan (& this was before I even had the a/s). But I had them hold off because I was waiting to find out if I was getting Medicaid. Thankfully I got approved & everything is covered, including co-pays. As far as I know, the a/s will be the only ultrasound done (I'm not high risk or anything). But my hospital offers free ultrasounds on Fridays so I'm gonna go back next month to double check & make sure she's a she! 

If I wouldn't have been able to get on Medicaid I would've had to pay everything, including the a/s, because my other insurance (Anthem BlueCross BlueShield) doesn't cover anything pregnancy related. I'm still under my mother's insurance until November when I turn 26 because I'm a college student. Oddly enough though, it does cover if she gets pregnant...yeah, um....she's 60....ain't gonna happen!! :) 

• I have a really high deductible that restarts on Jan1st ($4000). So I have no idea how much if any will be covered. But thanks for asking this question, as I was wondering too. I did have a friend who did the 3D elective U/S and she said that one was about $500, b/c it was just for curiosity by the parents, not medically necessary.
  • If you haven't had any u/s before your a/s I would think you won't have another one after unless there is a medical need. I unfortunately don't know how much they cost as my a/s is covered fully. Hope you get some answers to that! Good Luck :)
  • We have a pretty high deductible to reach before main coverage kicks in i think its 2800 with a max 3800 out of pocket for the yr. I am not even at 10% of that, so I expect my a/s next week to be a hefty. We have a health savings account where the employer gives use about half that each yr and its up to us to pay the diff so we are really about 1600 needed to pat. I almost hope I reach it before LO arrives!

But I am beyond frustrated with dealing with ins co's and figuring it out.  I wanted to budget but they give me no straight answers. I think my last u/s was about 800.

DD - Lucia Alessandra 6/18/12  ~~~  Welcoming Baby Boy!! - 3/26/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"