Parenting
Options

Do you eat a full can of soup? More than 1/2 cup of icecream?

Do you think those serving sizes are absurd?

A can of soup has 2.5 servings.

https://jezebel.com/5827211/the-absurdity-of-recommended-serving-sizes

The Absurdity Of Recommended Serving SizesIf you've ever downed a whole bag of Chex Mix then flipped over the bag and found that's about eight servings, you probably know serving sizes bear little relation to what people are actually eating. For years, consumer advocacy groups have been pushing the F.D.A. to change portion sizes, and now in an effort to light a fire under the agency, the Center for Science in the Public Interest has singled out some of the most ridiculous serving suggestions.The New York Times reports that the F.D.A. regulates what serving sizes food manufacturers can list on packages based on what a person would "customarily consume." The problem is this research was carried out in the 1970s, and back then the average American wasn't eating dinners that could feed a family of three.The Center for Science in the Public Interest says canned soups, ice cream, coffee creamers, and nonstick cooking spray are some of the worst offenders. Though most of us have drowned our troubles in an entire pint of ice cream at some point, the serving size is actually half a cup. A full pint contains an entire day's allowance of saturated fat. While people think Fat Free Original Coffee-mate is healthier than straight half and half, when the portions are equalized they have about the same amount of calories and saturated fat. PAM is able to advertise that it contains zero calories and zero fat because the serving is a fraction of a second spray. A full six second spray provides 50 calories and 6 grams of fat.The group's analysis of Americans' soup consumption is particularly thorough:Canned soup presents a dramatic example of how unrealistic the stated serving sizes are, according to CSPI. Labels for Campbell's Chunky Classic Chicken Noodle soup indicate a serving is 1 cup (a little less than half a can) and has 790 milligrams of sodium-a hefty amount by any standard and about half the sodium most adults should consume in a whole day. But according to a national telephone survey commissioned by CSPI, 64 percent of consumers would eat the whole can at one time and would consume 1,840 mg of sodium-more than a day's worth for most adults. Only 10 percent of consumers said they eat 1 cup portions.Similarly, CSPI's survey found that 62 percent of consumers eat the contents of the entire can of a (reconstituted) condensed soup like Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. An entire can holds 2,390 mg of sodium-far more than the 890 mg listed for one serving. That amount of sodium only applies if one can is divided into 2? portions. Another 27 percent eat half a can at a sitting, so they get 1,195 mg.I actually was aware that you're not supposed to eat the whole can of soup in one sitting. I was saved from the perils of excess sodium consumption by reading the damn label. Though even if you do take a look at the packaging, it's clear Campbell's doesn't care about making its nutritional information clear. The portion size may be 2.5 servings, but no one in their right mind is saving a half cup of chicken noodle soup for a rainy day.However, the problem isn't entirely the food manufacturers. A large part of it is that portion sizes are out of control in the U.S.. Michael Jacobson, CSPI's executive director, says,"Over the years we've looked and laughed at many serving sizes, and these are some of the foods where the label serving is just so different from what people actually consume."Nutrition labels definitely need to be modified, but making them reflect what most Americans actually eat isn't the answer either. The key is to post reasonable serving sizes, not realisticportions. People may eat 18 Oreos at a time, not 3 as the box suggests, but Nabisco doesn't need to give that serving its seal of approval.The Problem With Serving Sizes [NYT]

Unrealistic Serving Sizes Understate Calories, Sodium, Saturated Fat, Says CSPI [CSPI] 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you eat a full can of soup? More than 1/2 cup of icecream?

• Options
    I do eat a full can of soup.  But I remember working with someone (who was about 100lbs) who telling me one time that some nights she gets SO stressed out and eats and ENTIRE can of soup. image
  • Options
    I always eat an entire can. What do people do with the rest? Put it in the fridge? Weird.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I know.  A can of coke used to be I think 1.5 servings and they made them change it.

• Options

I don't eat soup. But I can really put away the ice cream. I have been known to eat and entire Ben & Jerrys container of ice cream in one sitting on several occasions.   Omg and rocky road!!  I can eat way more than just a half a cup.  More like 2 whole cups or more. Lol. 

1st Day of Kindergarten & 1st Grade 08.29.11

Landon * Kaydance * Kennedy
    5/13/05 ******5/24/06

* Baby is due July 24 2012 * Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I always eat the entire can. I have about 10 cans of soup in my desk drawer right now for lunches. Where the heck would I put the rest if I didn't finish the can? And really, like I'm going to be full off of 120 calories of soup? Puh-lease.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • Options

imageL D:
    Omg and rocky road!!  

I had that for the first time recently (not B&J just like Giant brand or whatever).  I'd just never had the flavor before.  OMG so good.  best ever definitely. 

• Options
    Suggested serving sizes are not realistic for most people. I actually can only eat about a cup of soup or 1/2 cup of ice cream. I can barely eat an entire Lean Cusine. But I have a lapband. Before the lapband I would have been starving after a cup of soup -- that was like an appetizer.
  • Options

I don't eat a lot of canned soups, but canned I always eat a whole can of a ready to eat soup. I do try to stick to about 1/2 a cup of ice cream, but it's occasionally 3/4-1 cup.

Portion sizes on some things do need to be revamped. Usually on bagged stir fry type meals-- those things usually say 3-4 servings per bag and it's not enough food for DH and me. We usually bulk it up with extra veggies.

AKA KnittyB*tch
    DS - December 2006
    DD - December 2008

imageimage
  • Options
    Now I want soup! Smile
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    I will eat a can of soup, but I am also the person that WILL measure out a half of cup of ice cream.  (but ice cream typically isn't my guilty food anyway)
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    I always eat a whole can of soup...Unless it's like one of those family-sized cans or something. As for ice cream, Ben & Jerry's is my fave. I eat a third to half the pint in one sitting. I don't allow myself more because then I get sick to my stomach.
  • Options

I do not like canned soups....my DH will eat a whole can.  My kids will split a can (between 2) but if its all 3, I open two cans of soup....those are lazy lunch days for me....or where I'm not feeling hungry type of days.

Icecream?  I am fairly decent about giving my kids ONE scoop...which is about a 1/2 a cup.  And now that I'm watching, I will only have a scoop.  But I have been known to binge on a couple cups worth of ice cream in a sitting.

I wondered about serving sizes awhile ago.....are they assuming that if you have the standard serving of soup that you are also eating a whole salad or a half a sandwich or something with it?  If so, then I can see it being realistic....but most people I know are eating the soup alone.....so yeah, not too realistic.

And EliseB...I know you have never posted pictures, but I'd lvoe to see a pre and post picture...how much weight have you lost since lapband? 

• Options
    imageDandRAgain:

I do not like canned soups....my DH will eat a whole can.  My kids will split a can (between 2) but if its all 3, I open two cans of soup....those are lazy lunch days for me....or where I'm not feeling hungry type of days.

Icecream?  I am fairly decent about giving my kids ONE scoop...which is about a 1/2 a cup.  And now that I'm watching, I will only have a scoop.  But I have been known to binge on a couple cups worth of ice cream in a sitting.

I wondered about serving sizes awhile ago.....are they assuming that if you have the standard serving of soup that you are also eating a whole salad or a half a sandwich or something with it?  If so, then I can see it being realistic....but most people I know are eating the soup alone.....so yeah, not too realistic.

And EliseB...I know you have never posted pictures, but I'd lvoe to see a pre and post picture...how much weight have you lost since lapband? 

I've lost about 100 pounds. I had some problems with the lapband last year and gained about 20 pounds back and have slowing been relosing that. More importantly, I have been able to cut out 1 diabetic drug, and more than half the blood pressure medicine I was taking. I also only need about 10% of the insulin I used to take.

I'm generally not a "pictures on the internet" girl due to some past nastiness from several people on these boards. But maybe someday I will have the courage to post pics.

• Options

That is AWESOME, Elise!!!  I'm officially jealous.  I need to lose about 100 lbs and I'm sooooo scared of failure!!!  But I'm not going to quit.

If you ever do post pictures...even for a second...make sure its a day that I'm here!!! :)

• Options
    imageDandRAgain:

That is AWESOME, Elise!!!  I'm officially jealous.  I need to lose about 100 lbs and I'm sooooo scared of failure!!!  But I'm not going to quit.

If you ever do post pictures...even for a second...make sure its a day that I'm here!!! :)

Thanks!  And good luck to you!

• Options

Generally speaking I think the nutrition information provided is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was just a few years ago.  Sure, you have to read the label carefully to make sure you see what a "serving" really means.  But for the most part, it is a lot more transparent what you're putting in your body. 

I think it comes down to making sure you understand that just because they list a serving size, it doesn't mean that's what you should consume.  E.g. we had some breakfast "treats" at work a while ago (mini muffins and mini scones).  I looked at the nutrition information, which defined a "serving size" as three mini ___.  I took that information, divided it by three and thought, "huh, not too bad for one scone--and that's all I need and want anyway."  Someone else looked at the same information and said, "oh good, I can have three."

It was really interesting to hear that comment from her (sadly, it's someone that has battled her weight by doing gimicky things...).

MY biggest pet peeve lately is if you happen to use some sort of Hamburger Helper type dinner thing.  I actually had an Annie's brand the other night of cheesy lasagna or something--add hamburger and water.  There were two columns of nutrition info--one for "dry mix" and one for "as prepared."  WTF?!?  Who would eat it WITHOUT COOKING IT?!?!?!  And if you're doing that, you likely couldn't care less about what you're actually putting in your body.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageDandRAgain:

that's exactly the point being made in the thread on another board (that I first read this on).  That you're supposed to have a serving of soup.. and a serving of vegetables or whatever. 

• Options
    if i'm eating something else with it, then i might not eat the whole can. otherwise... yup! i'll eat it all! lol.
  • Options

imageMominator:
    really, like I'm going to be full off of 120 calories of soup? Puh-lease.

Me too!!  Now that I have my diet back on track, I do sit down for 1/2 cup of ice cream.  Usually I just buy the little individual serving ice crea bars though.

• Options

I can't eat a full can of soup.  They are really filling.  I used to be able to finish around 1/2 a can, and since I heat it up in the microwave, I just poured what I thought I'd want into a bowl, and save the rest in the fridge.  We used to keep canned soup around a lot, for days there were no leftovers for lunch.  I've stopped doing that, just because of ACK!  Sodium! EEK!  BPA!  I've got to stop reading the news.

1/2 cup of ice cream really is probably just about right for me.  That's like one of those single serving containers right?  Eating one of those seems about right to me. But when putting rocky road into a cone, I usually stack it really high.  I have no idea what the volume is... probably at least 1.5 cups.  But I feel really sick afterwards.

• Options
    I really don't eat canned soup.  I make mine homemade.  I avoid buying anything that is not individual servings because I have no self control.  So, for desert, I have one Skinny Cow bar.  I would eat a whole pint of ice cream if it were in my house.  I don't have chips or cookies in my house either.  I try to stay under 200 calories for a snack and no more than 400 for a meal.  Now I am pregnant so I am not restricting myself, but normally I watch what I eat, weigh and measure my food.  Portions are so out of control in America and that is why there is a huge weight problem in this country. 
  • Options
    Soup I eat half, BUT 1/2 of ice cream seems like nothing to me..I must be a real oinker..
    Former nest name=nettie Mom to Nick 09/13/05, Isabel 07/20/07, and Tori 09/08/11 image
  • Options
    So, I'm reading the article and get to the part about a pint of ice cream and immediately "mmm ice cream, I could go for a pint right now."  Then I get to the next sentence about the amount of fat.  Talk about a downer,
  • Options

imagebklynbridecesh:
    I really don't eat canned soup.  I make mine homemade.  I avoid buying anything that is not individual servings because I have no self control.  So, for desert, I have one Skinny Cow bar.  I would eat a whole pint of ice cream if it were in my house.  I don't have chips or cookies in my house either.  I try to stay under 200 calories for a snack and no more than 400 for a meal.  Now I am pregnant so I am not restricting myself, but normally I watch what I eat, weigh and measure my food.  Portions are so out of control in America and that is why there is a huge weight problem in this country. 

That sounds like a very tense way to live?  Are you overweight?  Or have a history of being overweight?   

You don't buy like a pack of crackers or whatever?  I'm trying to understand the 'nothing unless it's an individual serving' thing. 

• Options
    imageZenya:

imagebklynbridecesh:

That sounds like a very tense way to live?  Are you overweight?  Or have a history of being overweight?   

You don't buy like a pack of crackers or whatever?  I'm trying to understand the 'nothing unless it's an individual serving' thing. 

I do a lot of this. It's kind of the foundation of Weight Watchers, which is where I got it from. The only thing I don't like about it is buying things that are preportioned usually increases the costs dramatically and the extra packaging is so wasteful. You don't need 20 little bags of pretzels when you can just divide them up yourself, but it does involve more willpower that way, so I get why people do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageAggieCouple:

I can't eat a full can of soup.  They are really filling.  I used to be able to finish around 1/2 a can, and since I heat it up in the microwave, I just poured what I thought I'd want into a bowl, and save the rest in the fridge.

I kinda wish I were you.

I would starve on 1/2 can of soup. In fact, I usually have the whole can and still need something with it? (I usually have a side salad or something, or a piece of fruit with it). 

I do take 1/2 cup ice cream, though. I don't like a ton of ice cream, sometimes I just want a small taste.

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options
    imageaugust06mom:

I do a lot of this. It's kind of the foundation of Weight Watchers, which is where I got it from. The only thing I don't like about it is buying things that are preportioned usually increases the costs dramatically and the extra packaging is so wasteful. You don't need 20 little bags of pretzels when you can just divide them up yourself, but it does involve more willpower that way, so I get why people do it.

I'm very portion conscious and constantly trade stuff off (going so far as to trade cake in the afternoon for dinner sometimes  although that's also b/c I'm not longer hungry enough for both).  It's probably just an issue of online tone.  Just the poster sounded kind of distressed or something. Like she ONLY buys single portion stuff etc.  

• Options

DH and I are big label readers. We often comment on what a serving size is. Does it change how much of a product we eat? Not usually. It just makes us more aware of what we are eating.

I do think that most serving sizes are WAY off track. I agree with True Norskie.

• Options
    I don't think the can of soup is that far off. I do one can of tomato soup when we have grilled cheese and it feeds DH, myself, and DD. 
  • Options
    half a cup of ice cream.............hahahahahahahahahahahaha.Stick out tongue
  • Options

imageZenya:
    I do eat a full can of soup.  But I remember working with someone (who was about 100lbs) who telling me one time that some nights she gets SO stressed out and eats and ENTIRE can of soup. image

LOL. I know skinny people who eat like that. I always wonder if they're hungry when they're done eating. I know I would be.

I would eat the whole can of chicken noodle soup. But when we make tomato soup, we split it between our family because we're also eating grilled cheese sandwiches. We use really small bowls when we have ice cream, so we're probably right around 1/2 cup, maybe a little more. I'm sure I always have what they consider to be 2 bowls of cereal when I eat cereal.

So in general, I'd say portion sizes on most packaged food are not accurate, but I don't know if that's because I over eat, or if it's realistic to eat that little. Maybe my perception of portion is way off.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    sometimes i throw caution to the wind and have a whole can of soup and a whole cup of ice cream.  but that's only on my wildest days.
    Patty Matt 4/7/05 and Sean 12/14/06 image
  • Options

I agree with the posters that said single serving portions are helpful at curbing what is essentially binging....if I have a bag of Oreos in the house, DH and I (and the kids on a much smaller scale) can make it disappear in less than 48 hours. So he just brings home these tiny 2 packs of Oreos they have at his office once a week for the boys, that way they get their treat and I can lose the baby weight! It is definitely a WW mentailty, I did it two years ago and really learned a few things that were easily "countable" and quick to grab, so it makes it easier to keep track as I go through my day (I hate the new program, so I'm basically doing the old one in my head). 

For me, I'm able to lose weight by doing the single serve portions, eating less at home, but when I go out I eat what I want (I eat lunch out 2 or 3 days during the week). Works for me. 

Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"