August 2012 Moms

What is your husband reading?

Last night mine disclosed that he has never changed a diaper and can count on one hand the number of times he has held a baby.  He gingerly mentioned that if I bought him a "Dad Handbook" he would read it.  Any suggestions??
August 2012's May Siggy challenge: Favorite TV mom:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: What is your husband reading?

• The Baby Owner's Manual is awesome!  I got it for DH for Christmas and both of us have learned a good bit.  He too has not had much (none!) baby experience.  The book is set up like an owner's manual for any machine complete with step by steps and diagrams!  Kind of cheesy as it is written that way too but fun and informative.  For instance it gives you information about when to contact "your model's service provider" (when to call the pediatrician) or troubleshooting when the baby "malfunctions" (is sick, can't sleep, won't stop crying, etc). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My mom bought "The Everything Father-to-be Book"  for DH during my first pregnancy. I'm not 100% sure what info was in there, but I know that randomly when DH and I would have convos he'd just blurt out things going on at different stages of my pregnancy that he learned, or what the book said as far as "how to handle my moods and hormones". He had never changed a diaper either so we took a class at the hospital and learned swaddling, and diaper changing, and all different random things.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DH read? lol...dh didn't have much experience either. his sister was 7 years younger but since then - nothing. he was a natural when dd came along. we read my pregnancy week by week kind of together. and my friend let me borrow "what to expect when your wife is expanding" - it was humorous. but dh never got into it.

-Glo

First Surro Journey:

BabyFetus Ticker

Proud Mommy to:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageJerzeygrl784:
    My mom bought "The Everything Father-to-be Book"  for DH during my first pregnancy. I'm not 100% sure what info was in there, but I know that randomly when DH and I would have convos he'd just blurt out things going on at different stages of my pregnancy that he learned, or what the book said as far as "how to handle my moods and hormones". He had never changed a diaper either so we took a class at the hospital and learned swaddling, and diaper changing, and all different random things.

I got DH another book and he said it sounded like the book was written for a moron so he stopped reading it. I then got him this book and he really liked it.  

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• He read the book the hospital gave us about pregnancy, a few bits of "What to Expect" and we're both reading Brain Rules (which I HIGHLY recommend!)... we're going to take a newborn class together at the hospital, since neither of us have any experience with babies!
  • imageJerzeygrl784:
    My mom bought "The Everything Father-to-be Book"  for DH during my first pregnancy. I'm not 100% sure what info was in there, but I know that randomly when DH and I would have convos he'd just blurt out things going on at different stages of my pregnancy that he learned, or what the book said as far as "how to handle my moods and hormones". He had never changed a diaper either so we took a class at the hospital and learned swaddling, and diaper changing, and all different random things.

This is the one I am reading. I has a lotof the basics but doesn't get to in depth into any particular topic. I would say it is a good starter book but maybe get something with more information on after baby come home for him to read when he is finished.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've had a hard time finding a good book for DH. It seems like the authors think that all husbands are a) idiots and b) can only understand information in beer and sports analogies.

Two that I've liked so far are Dad's Pregnant Too by Harlan Cohen and The Birth Partner. The second is really informational for anyone who will be a coach during the birth process, definitely goes in depth. Also the Dr. Sears books are great references for moms and dads.

WestyMom Chicago, IL
    TTC since 9/2011, BFP in Costa Rica 12/1/11!, EDD 8/18/12
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The book I bought DH when I was pregnant with DS is still collecting dust on the shelf 3 years later.  he learned how to do everything from me & the hospital.  LOL!  He was still a very hands on father when DS was a NB.   

Congrats to you ladies with husbands that want to read about it!  I tried guilting him a few times & that didn't work either.  Unless it's a bass tab book, he could care less.

BFP #1 2/8/2008 - Evan born 10/3/2008 via c/s @ 38wks
    BFP #2 12/31/2010 (EDD 9/1/11) -- Natrual m/c 1/9/10
    BFP #3 12/20/2011 - EDD 8/25/12
    u/s 1/6/12 - HB & beautiful bean
    A/S 4/2 - It's a Girl!!!
    RCS on 8/20/12
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • DH has "She's having a baby and i'm having a breakdown" and a couple of others including "The Expectant Father".  hasn't started reading them yet, as he's not fully ready to comit to this one at this point (losses before now). 
    10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • My husband is also reading The Expectant Father and has found it helpful understanding where i'm at and where we're heading to.  He also habitually reads the Dr Oz YOU having a baby over my shoulder whenever I read it in bed (it has great illustrations)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"