Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Formula fed baby always seems to want more...

When I brought my little one home nearly 3 weeks ago, I had to make the switch to formula as she stopped taking my milk and only weighed 6.7 I started her on 2 ounces every 2 hours. Worked great until the pediatrician said  3oz every 2 hours. I stretched it out to 3 every 3 hours, she adjusted well, and would sleep all day aside from 5-11PM which is her wake cycle. She would only wake up to eat every 3 hours like clock work, other than that she was sleeping or awake and quiet. Then her two week mark came, AWFUL. She kept me up all night wanting to eat 3oz every hour! She would retain all of it with nearly no spit up...she did this for a day, then went back to 3 every 3. As of a few days ago however the 3 is suddenly less satisfying and she would want 4 every 3. Then I noticed it was more like 4 every 1-2 hours....and I knew this was too much or is too much...I went to the pediatrician for her two week check and she was 8.1. And the doctor was pleased, didn't lecture me about eating too much, in fact told me to feed her what she wants. (My mother also heard this) We came home she was going to watch my little girl for the day so I could get some rest. Today I noticed that LO is now not happy with the four ounces every hour to two hours. Before dinner I mentioned it to my mother, and she said I should just give her the other two, as she was giving my little girl 6oz bottles while I was sleeping. We got home from dinner 2 hours past and LO is hungry again...I gave her 4, she wanted more so I gave her 2...and now she is screaming, eating her hand and won't take a paci...I'm LOST! My friends 9month old doesn't eat more than 6oz and thats every 6hours..for her to have been eating the 30oz a day was too much and now she wants more like 40-45....I don't know what to do...She is 2weeks and 5days old. I don't know if she truly wants more formula, I don't feel right giving her more, but she won't stop crying and she won't sleep...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Formula fed baby always seems to want more...

• We had this problem with out little guy.  Our ped recommended switching formula, and find one that satisfied him more.  We went through 4 formulas before finding one that kept him eating about 3oz every 3 hours... then at about 6 weeks, he was up to 4 oz every 3 hours... now he is 12 weeks and 6 oz every 3 hours, with an 8 oz bottle for bedtime. 

• 1) Do you burp her often? Sometimes FF babies guzzle the formula & it takes a little while to register that she is full.

2) Try a pacifier: See if she just has the desire to suck for comfort. She may also desire the closeness of feeding. Try swaddling her up & snuggling with the pacifier to see if she just wants to be close to you.

3) Ask whoever is watching her to be consistent with amounts during the day. Just like when you eat a big meal it stretches out your tummy. She may want the extra but it could cause her to want a lot each time.

Finally, she could be teething already (DD is). Try a frozen wash cloth and see if she will chew on it. When in doubt go ahead & give her the extra ounces. As long as she doesn't spit up then she might be going through a growth spurt & need the extra calories.

Good luck mama! I hope that helps! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Could it be a growth spurt? I found that formula fills up my LO more than breast milk. He always sleeps longer with formula.
  • imageBettyBookworm:

1) Do you burp her often? Sometimes FF babies guzzle the formula & it takes a little while to register that she is full.

2) Try a pacifier: See if she just has the desire to suck for comfort. She may also desire the closeness of feeding. Try swaddling her up & snuggling with the pacifier to see if she just wants to be close to you.

3) Ask whoever is watching her to be consistent with amounts during the day. Just like when you eat a big meal it stretches out your tummy. She may want the extra but it could cause her to want a lot each time.

Finally, she could be teething already (DD is). Try a frozen wash cloth and see if she will chew on it. When in doubt go ahead & give her the extra ounces. As long as she doesn't spit up then she might be going through a growth spurt & need the extra calories.

Good luck mama! I hope that helps! 

All of this - also check your bottle nipple size. Are you using the smallest one? It will make her eat slower and give her more time to feel full.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"