Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

need to go for D&C

Hello,

Sadly, we just went for a second sono that confirmed an empty sac. I am so sad... all this is happening during my Grandmother's funeral.

could it get any harder.

Not sure when the D&C will be- most likely early next week.

I am scared. any advice as to what to expect. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: need to go for D&C

• I don't have any advice because my D&C is tomorrow, but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I'm sorry for your loss - not only your baby but also your grandmother.  Holding you close in thought.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thank you. Ill be thinking of you tomorrow. Let me know how it goes.
  • Loading the player...
  • First of all I am so sorry you are going through this. No time is good, but especially not during a family member's funeral.

If it's any solace, my D&C which was yesterday, was a really comfortable easy experience. I felt no pain, still have no cramping, and the nurses and doctors were very nice and accommodating. After they put the IV in, it was maybe 20 minutes for the whole procedure. I was asleep, twilight IV sedation, and don't recall a thing. For me, it is the first step towards healing and closure and is helping me move forward. Best of luck to you. 

• I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had my d&c on 1/9.  I was also put under "twilight sedation", and the procedure was very quick. I got to the hospital at 3, and I was home by 5:30.  I did bleed for about a week, and had some cramping on and off.  The second week was just some spotting.  Overall the physical recovery was much easier then I was expecting.  

• I'm so sorry for your losses, and especially that they're happening simultaneously.  That's an awful lot for one person to deal with. ((hugs))

My d&c and recovery went well.  No pain during or after, no cramping, and very light bleeding.  Every woman is different, but I really hope that your recovery will be an easy one.  I'll be thinking of you. 

BFP#1: 12/15/11 EDD: 8/21/12 Missed miscarriage @ ~8.5 weeks. D+C: 1/19/12
    BFP#2: 07/04/12 EDD: 03/14/13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    *All Welcome*
  • So sorry for your losses. ((HUGS))

As for the D&C, I found it to be pretty painless. Pre-op took a little bit of time as they prepped me, but the actual procedure was only about 20 minutes and I had very little cramping afterward.

image image
    10/10/2010
    TTC Since May 2011
    DX: Subclinical Hypothyroidism
    BFP #1: 11/21/2011. EDD: 8/4/2012. Missed M/C & D&C at 11w6d: 1/20/2012.
    BFP #2: 5/24/2012. EDD: 2/2/2013. Natural M/C at 6w0d: 6/9/2012.
    BFP #3: 12/6/2012. EDD: 8/19/2013. Missed M/C at 9w0d: 1/14/2013.
    BFP #4: 4/20/2013. EDD: 1/1/2014. Born at 36w3d: 12/7/2013
    BFP #5: 3/25/2015: EDD: 12/8/2015.
    Lilypie - (IDGc)
  • I had my D&C a week ago today. I felt so much better immediately afterward. It was quick and painless. I had slight cramping, little bleeding. And, then started bleeding a few days later, but I think it actually stopped last night. I'm sorry for your loss!
  • I'm so sorry. Obviously, there's never an ideal time to lose a baby, and there's never an ideal time to lose a grandmother--but it's a tragedy that these two things are happening simultaneously for you. I hope your D&C is as quick and painless as can be--and that it offers you a bit of closure. (hugs) 
    It was a rough road, but Arlo Daniel was born April 1, 2013—and our second rainbow is due October 12, 2014.
  • First, I am so sorry for your losses.  Losing one soul is hard enough, but losing two, I can't even begin to imagine. 

I had my D&C on 12/29.  It is a relatively painless procedure.  You will undergo sedation (either twilight or general anesthesia).  The procedure will take about 30 min.  On average, you will cramp & bleed for a couple of days.  I would recommend writing a list of questions either you or whomever is with you.  I wish my DH & I did that.  It would have saved a phone call to the OB a week after the procedure. 

The doctor may say that you can go back to normal activities in about a day or two, but please take as much time as necessary to heal.  I actually took about five days before I went back to work.  Please just trust your gut.

Hugs, thoughts, & prayer to you & your family!

BFP#1: 10/29/11 EDD: 7/14/12 MMC: 12/28/11 BFP#2: 5/17/12 EDD: 1/27/13 Trevor was born on 1/21/13! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo 8e4774ee-d2a4-4dd5-9180-492d059e568e_zpsb44e90d8.jpg
  • So sorry for your losses. I was awake for my d&c.  It was done in my Dr's office.  It wasn't physically painful. I was a little sore after, then fine for a few days then a few days of cramps.  

Just make sure you do something for yourself and take the time you need to rest after.  For me, the emotional pain that the babies were actually gone was a bit exhausting. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I had a D&C in September. I was so scared as it was my first pregnancy . The proceadure went well though. I only bled a very little and  was back on my feet  within a day. It was the best thing to do at the time, as I just couldn't wait for it to happen on it's own. I was 9 weeks at the time. Just have pads ready and some Ibuprofen for the light cramping once you get home. I waited 3 months to try again and now I'm experiencig my 2nd miscarriage. I would advise to wait 6 months to try again as I'm thinking 3 months is just not enough time for your body to prepare for another pregnancy. Hope all goes well.
  • I am so sorry for your loss. It sucks.

I was terrified of surgery but my d&c proved to be pretty easy - the worst part for me was having the IV put in because I'm a baby about needles. I wrote up a very detailed account of that day if you want to see what the experience was like for me. https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/62573904.aspx

imageimage
    BFP with #1 (twins!) 11/18/2011 - missed m/c at 8weeks3days; d&c 1/19/2012; myomectomy to remove 18cm+,10cm & 5cm fibroids 4/2012; TTC again 7/2012; BFP #2 (twins) 11/13/2012; missed m/c at 7weeks;
    BFP #3: baby girl born 3/5/2014

Balaustine: an anthology about wanting family
  • Thanks everyone... this really helped to put me at ease. I waited a day to read in fear there might be some horrible stories. I think I can do this. 

I just want to be a good mom to my daughter and put this all behind me.

Thanks again and thanks for being there. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"