Preemies

22 calorie formula question

Our son is on the Similac Neosure right now but we are slowly switching him over to Enfamil Enfacare because we are getting many more coupons and deals on it than the Similac.  (Our ped. ok'd the switch).  Now I hear that there is a Parent's Choice (Walmart) brand 22 cal preemie formula.  It is 10.00 a can plus I guess you can get one free can a month and there are occasional coupons.  I am still out on maternity leave and my hubby just got laid off so money is TIGHT.  Anyone have experience using the Walmart brand?  Isn't formula pretty tightly regulated that the differences shouldn't be very big?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 22 calorie formula question

• Can your baby get switched to another formula and fortify it to make it 22 cal?  I looked up the Walmart brand and their brand for the Enfamil Enfacare 22 cal is really only $5 cheaper...but if you can find it cheaper GO FOR IT mama!  Our DD was on Enfamil Enfacare 22 cal as well and needless to say she didn't tolerate it well since it was soooo thick. When DD was switched to Gentlease I noticed for the Babies R Us and Target brand formulas that they have the breakdown side by side of the Enfamil brand and "their" brand and there is nothing different at all. If your baby just needs the calories in the formula try and see if you can get it switched and just fortify it so it can be 22 cal.  I learned yesterday at the pediatrician's office that you can fortify the formula to be as high as 27 calories! 

Also, when your baby is no longer on the Enfamil Enfacare 22 cal I've learned that Target brand form has the biggest cans for the cheapest price out there.  They have 40oz cans for $19.99 and they even run sales on the formula so they come to $2-3 cheaper...

Olivia Madison born July 27th, 2011 at 27w6d at 10:44pm 1lb 11oz 13 1/2 inches delivered c-section due to Severe Preeclampsia and PIH
  • My daughter is on Similac Alimentum (definitely more expensive but she has to have it for reflux/protein allergy) and we make it 24 calories. You just add more scoops to less water (your pedi can give you a chart that tells you how much water and how many scoops.). From what I understand, the only difference between Neosure and regular formulas is the caloric content. You can check with your pedi but I'm pretty sure it would be fine for you to use whatever formula your baby likes and just fortify it to 22 cal. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Neosure is about more than just the extra calories. I looked into the Parent's Choice version and it is exactly the same except that is has more of 2 vitamins. I'm thinking about switching to that but since I'm neurotic I will ask the pedi first.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photobucket
  • We switched to parents choice with absolutely no problems! I am so thankful I found out about it. Neosure was KILLING me!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • If you're worried about extra vitamins, etc. you could always add Poly-vi-sol drops to the formula (with your pedi's approval of course).I would just talk to your pedi anyway and see what they say. Neosure is crazy expensive (as is the Alimentum!) and if you can do anything to lessen those costs (without depriving your baby of anything, of course) then by all means do it. :)
  • Double check with the pedi or a neonatal dietician--Neosure has specific vitamins in it that babies don't get in the third trimester when they're born early.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • WoW Mama's!  I have to come here more often to ask questions!  We did try a gas and fussiness formula and just had to add a bit more powder to get to the 22 cals, but for some reason that formula didn't fill him up and he wanted to eat CONSTANTLY, so we switched back to the Neosure.  I am hoping in Feb at his 4 month appt they will take him off the 22 cal, and we can use Target brand!  For now, I think I will talk to the ped. and then start the Parent's Choice preemie formula.  He is getting Vitamin D drops already, but I like that the specifici preemie formula has what he didn't get inside me during the last two months due to being born so early, not just the extra calories.  Thanks for all the input!!  Preemie mama's rock!
  • Anytime mama!  That's what we are here for! 
    Olivia Madison born July 27th, 2011 at 27w6d at 10:44pm 1lb 11oz 13 1/2 inches delivered c-section due to Severe Preeclampsia and PIH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"