February 2012 Moms

Push Present?

Any of you getting any gifts from your husband for giving birth to your baby?

Re: Push Present?

• I told my hubby not to get my anything, I actually said, "please don't get me anything." I think the baby is enough of a gift itself. :-)
  • I have deliberately avoided telling my DH about that particular little trend, and I don't think he knows about it.
    ---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Not really but I did say after the baby came that I would like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BDQQ76/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1LQ759O23Q0NG 

It is the Willow Tree, Our Gift, New Parents Figurine.  He bought me the "Home" figurine when we found out we were expecting and we have had the together one since we were engaged.  So I want to complete the set.  It is more sentimental than anything 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never understood this... 

I consciously made the decision to have this baby, and my husband has been an active, equal partner in this pregnancy. I don't understand why I deserve a present. (If anything, he probably deserves one for putting up with me, pampering me, and being overall a great daddy-to-be!) 

To each their own, but I don't need any more of a present than my sweet baby and the love of my husband. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • imagelancyjo:

I've never understood this... 

I consciously made the decision to have this baby, and my husband has been an active, equal partner in this pregnancy. I don't understand why I deserve a present. (If anything, he probably deserves one for putting up with me, pampering me, and being overall a great daddy-to-be!) 

To each their own, but I don't need any more of a present than my sweet baby and the love of my husband. 

This exactly. 

• I want a necklace with the first initial of my baby's name... but since we're team green, that won't be decided until after the fact anyway, and I'll probably pick the necklace out and buy it for myself... so I'm not sure if that's considered a push present or me just treating myself to something nice!
  • No- isn't that what Mother's Day is for?  I fully expect to get something to then. . . but not a "push present".  As a PP said-- the baby is gift enough for me.  :)

BabyFruit Ticker

• My husband has no clue as to this trend of giving "Push Presents".  Totally fine with me, but I did make a mention that I would like to get a necklace with LOs birthstone, but it doesnt have to be right after he's born.  It could be something that we go to the jewerly store to pick out together...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I doubt SO has ever even heard of this, plus were both on the same page with trying to save money to keep me at home with LO as long as possible
  • Really? A gift for doing something that is a natural life process? Graduation gifts sure. But for going through labor, give me a break.
  • Nope. I have told DH that he will be going to get take-out for the first meal after delivery so I am spared hospital food- I'll take a nice cheeseburger as a push present Smile

After 2 1/2 years TTC, 3 IUI's, endo, and a lap, a surprise BFP brought us Alexandra Marie!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • While we are not doing this, and I am pretty sure my H has no idea what this is, I won't knock anyone for doing this. Do I think its necessary? No, but I don't think a lot of presents are necessary. (Valentines Day for example) But if someone's SO wants to say "thank you for all that you've put your body through these last 9 months and bringing our beautiful child into the world, its incredible what you go through and I appreciate it" then I think thats as good a reason as any to get something. JMO
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No push presents here. A friend of mine told him he should get me one, but I quickly corrected him on that. The baby is what's important. If I want a trinket to capture the moment I'll get one myself, but something about having him give me a present for having a baby doesn't smell right to me.
  • i told my hubby to skip the push present and i'll take a maid Big Smile

• Nope. I think they are ridiculous. Whoever thinks their healthy baby isn't enough is pretty selfish IMO. 
  • My SO doesn't even know about push presents. If you want to do it, go for it. That's between you and your husband.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous. It's not his fault that he doesn't have the anatomy to carry or birth a baby. I don't feel like I should receive something special for having the anatomy to carry and birth a baby. SO is already jealous that I "get her all the time". And I have a feeling that seeing him hold our daughter will be much greater than any present anyone could possibly buy me. 

• i would not ask for one, and anything i want i just go buy myself
  • DH doesn't have anything to do with this, but with DS I bought something special to hand down to him (he can give his wife if he wants) some day.

I am thinking about doing the same thing w/ DD, but I haven't decided yet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

***Nestie Bestie w/ TheDeatons***

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageMeganequine:

No- isn't that what Mother's Day is for?  I fully expect to get something to then. . . but not a "push present".  As a PP said-- the baby is gift enough for me.  :)

This. My sister asked my DH (unprovoked by me) if he was familiar with push presents. I've got my eye on a birthstone ring for the month LO is born in, butI would rather it be mothers day.  No push present necessary. 

• I certainly do not knock anyone for doing push presents but I am pretty sure my husband doesn't have a CLUE what that is :)  And I am okay with it.

I could be wrong but as a FTM, I picture that when the gift would be handed to me, I would say thank you, and then throw it to the side to cater to my little one.  :)  The best gift I can envision is being a supportive, helpful, caring spouse during our transition into parenthood.

• I'm sure my husband will get me flowers only because he always gets me flowers and I love them but I don't think he even knows what push present is and I'm fine with that.
  • Honestly?  I am hoping for a nice bouquet of flowers. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm certain that my husband has never heard of this, and that's fine by me. This pregnancy has been just as much of a life-changer for him as it has for me, and I don't feel like I deserve anything more than the love and attention he has shown me every step of the way. He has already given me the most precious gift on earth!
  • My husband found me that one at Cracker Barrel. It's sitting on my piano right now.Smile

• We have a lot of money left on gift cards to the Bay from our wedding so we are going to buy a new rocker/recliner for both of us. A family gift, not just a gift for me. He did buy me some spa gift cards (which I used today) because he knew how terribly uncomfortable I am.
    Pregnancy Ticker NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Apparently my husband gets "educated" by his coworkers. He was the first one to mention about the babymoon and now a push present.

Personally I think the push present is another marketing idea, but I think I will get a ring with baby's birthstone: amethyst.

Amethyst is symbolic of spirituality and piety. Also symbolic of protection and the power to overcome difficulty. It is said to strengthen the bond in a love relationship too. It would be nice for me to wear it (to enhance our marriage (heehee)) and hand it down to my daughter.

I guess it doesn't have to be a ring or anything, but I couldn't think of anything else? In addition, I do want to get something for my husband too. If so, what should it be?

• My H won't give me a 'push present' persay, but we are getting each other a present to commemorate the day our first child was born.  It's something I'd heard of long before I'd heard of a push present, and I like the idea.  I don't think he owes me a present for delivering the baby, but we almost never get each other presents, and this seemed like a good time to do something special for each other.   So that's our plan.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Inhave given DH explicit instructions that a turkey sandwich waiting for me after Baby Girl is born : )
  • I have given DH explicit instructions that a turkey sandwich waiting for me after Baby Girl is born : )
  • yep.  I get to bring home a baby.  The whole idea of a 'push present' is ridiculous to me.  sorry. 
  • DH has heard of push presents, so we've discussed it. After having GD for 3 months, the only thing I've requested for my "push present" is a cinnamon roll and/or a box of See's Candy. :) 
    Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • OH Y'ALL. 

Not trying to be snarky at all, but the moral superiority that always pops up when this topic is broached cracks me up.  While I'm sure there ARE some women out there demanding diamond earrings from their husbands, I don't think that's usually the case when a man gives his partner a token or gift when a new baby is born. 

Is the term "push present" gross?  Um, yes.  

Am I expecting or asking for some elaborate gift after giving birth b/c I think I "deserve" it? No.

But will the birth of our child be cheapened if my husband independently decides to give me a gift to commemorate the day? Don't think so. 

ETA: I will say I'm NOT into the fact that the "push present" has become commercialized thus putting pressure on men to buy something when they might not have otherwise.  

11 months old! #andintoeverything
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"