Nurseries and Baby Gear

Ergo vs. the Beco baby carrier

Hi ladies!

The DH and I were all set to register for the Ergo Baby carrier but then one of my friends told me about the Beco baby carrier, which has an infant insert. This was the first I've heard of the Beco. I was wondering if any of you had an experience with either of these products and could share! I've heard lots about the Ergo so I'm especially wanting to hear about the Beco. :)

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Ergo vs. the Beco baby carrier

• I haven't used either yet BUT we decided to go with the Beco Gemni because the baby can face outward too unlike the Ergo. If you click on the third picture you can see all the positions possible.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I bought the Beco and I absolutely love it.  Very comfortable to use and not to mention way cuter than the Ergo.  In my opinion i think the Beco is less bulky looking too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have tried a lot of baby carriers and reviewed the Beco Butterfly and the Ergo on my blog.

https://www.acraftybalance.com/2011/07/wearing-baby.html 

The Beco Butterfly includes the infant insert and is really fantastic.  It's also easier to put the baby on your back then the Ergo.  Both are quite comfortable.

I also have a Beco Gemini, but I haven't done a thorough review of it yet.  It's also quite nice and allows the baby to face outward, if that's something you are interested in.  The Beco Butterfly and the Ergo do not allow for a front facing carry.  The Beco Gemini has straps that cross in the back, but it does not include an infant insert.  I used it when my baby was older, so I'm not sure how it would work with an infant.

Overall, I found that I liked the Beco Butterfly II the best.  The Beco Gemini has the front facing option, but you really can't (and shouldn't) wear a baby front facing for very long.

I was also able to try a Ergo Sport and liked it a little better than the Original Ergo. I found the infant insert for the Ergo to be bulky, cumbersome and hot (for me and the baby).

• I chose the Beco Gemini because the straps crossed, which was more comfortable on my back.  I didn't get it until DD#1 was 2 months old so I can't comment on its use for an infant.  But the website is saying you can use it for an infant as small as 7lbs with the wide base leg openings and attaching the headrest hooks.  That is all part of the carrier itself (as opposed to being something you can remove). 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • this link may help make your decision

https://www.theportablebaby.com/carrierfeatures.html

I ended up getting the Butterfly II because I got it on mamabargains last week for a steal! I was between that and the Gemini (and also considered the Pikkolo which is similar to the Gemini....both of which allowed for front facing carry which I wanted).  What I loved about the Butterfly II was the inner panel making it easier for back carry....what I didn't love is that it doesn't face forward (which yes, you should not really use that position or if you do very limited amount).  I also got the Snugli Front and Back carry for a steal on zulily for $28 (regular $60-70) which allows front facing but some say it is not the most comfortable carrier...I figure if I don't like it I can re-sell it and make my money back. If not, I may also get the Gemini or Pikkolo to have the option for forward facing.

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • I have the Beco Gemini and LOVE it!  I didn't want the Ergo, because it seemed so bulky.  Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that was my impression.  I've only had the Gemini a few weeks, so I don't know how it would work with a newborn (I had a Moby for when DS was really young, but couldn't really use it due to C-Section complications.....but a lot of people say it's great for newborns).
    7 mm/c
    APS, hetero factor v leiden & MTHFR
    bfp #1 - 12.11.07, edd 8.14.08, mm/c 1.21.08 (10w4d)
    bfp #2 - 4.4.08, edd 12.3.08, mm/c 5.14.08 (11w)
    bfp #3 - 8.3.08, edd 4.15.09, mm/c 9.17.08 (10w)
    bfp #4 - 1.15.09, edd 9.26.09, mm/c 2.16.09 (8w2d)
    bfp #5 - 6.16.09, edd 2.25.10, mm/c 7.23.09 (9w)
    bfp #6 - 8.12.10, edd 4.27.11, mm/c 9.16.10 (8w1d)
    one more try -> bfp #7 - 2.11, our miracle baby boy arrived 10.11
    ttc again -> bfp #8 - 5.3.13, edd 1.13.14, mm/c 5.30.13 (7w3d)
    bfp #9 - 9.23.13, our miracle baby girl arrived 5.29.14

• imageeawilson:

I have tried a lot of baby carriers and reviewed the Beco Butterfly and the Ergo on my blog.

https://www.acraftybalance.com/2011/07/wearing-baby.html 

The Beco Butterfly includes the infant insert and is really fantastic.  It's also easier to put the baby on your back then the Ergo.  Both are quite comfortable.

I also have a Beco Gemini, but I haven't done a thorough review of it yet.  It's also quite nice and allows the baby to face outward, if that's something you are interested in.  The Beco Butterfly and the Ergo do not allow for a front facing carry.  The Beco Gemini has straps that cross in the back, but it does not include an infant insert.  I used it when my baby was older, so I'm not sure how it would work with an infant.

Overall, I found that I liked the Beco Butterfly II the best.  The Beco Gemini has the front facing option, but you really can't (and shouldn't) wear a baby front facing for very long.

I was also able to try a Ergo Sport and liked it a little better than the Original Ergo. I found the infant insert for the Ergo to be bulky, cumbersome and hot (for me and the baby).

Why can't you carry LO facing outward for very long? That's the first I've heard about that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevwatson83:
    imageeawilson:

Why can't you carry LO facing outward for very long? That's the first I've heard about that. 

Overstimulates them.  They can't turn their heads away.

7 mm/c
    APS, hetero factor v leiden & MTHFR
    bfp #1 - 12.11.07, edd 8.14.08, mm/c 1.21.08 (10w4d)
    bfp #2 - 4.4.08, edd 12.3.08, mm/c 5.14.08 (11w)
    bfp #3 - 8.3.08, edd 4.15.09, mm/c 9.17.08 (10w)
    bfp #4 - 1.15.09, edd 9.26.09, mm/c 2.16.09 (8w2d)
    bfp #5 - 6.16.09, edd 2.25.10, mm/c 7.23.09 (9w)
    bfp #6 - 8.12.10, edd 4.27.11, mm/c 9.16.10 (8w1d)
    one more try -> bfp #7 - 2.11, our miracle baby boy arrived 10.11
    ttc again -> bfp #8 - 5.3.13, edd 1.13.14, mm/c 5.30.13 (7w3d)
    bfp #9 - 9.23.13, our miracle baby girl arrived 5.29.14

• DH loved our old Ergo and asked me to order him one for this baby. I never liked it - just didn't fit me right. And eventually DD refused to be carried facing in. She just hated it.  I have many friends who love the Ergo, but this time I'm going to wait until the baby's born and go try on a few in the store including the Becos.  (I have a Moby Wrap to use in the beginning.)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is great!  Thanks!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagesamm1983:
    imagevwatson83:
    imageeawilson:

Overstimulates them.  They can't turn their heads away.

Also, when your baby is old enough to face forward he/she will be bigger.  As babies get bigger, the front facing carry just isn't as comfortable, in my opinion.  A front facing carry is a little tougher on my back.  That could just be me though. 

• I have the ergo carrier and am renting the Beco Gemini from Paxbaby right now. I think they r very similar but I love that the straps cross in the back as it gives better support, my son likes to be able to face forward and it is much more comfortable than the bjorn I tried on at BRU. I haven't tried a back carry in either carrier yet as my DS(8.5 months & 20lbs) still is happy in the front. But I did a back carry with my 32lb dd and she thought it was great but after about 10 minutes she complained it hurt her legs.  I think in regards to bulkiness they r the same. Not sure if I missed anything but these r my thoughts so far. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"