March 2012 Moms

Now I'm doubting our name choice...what do u think??

Be honest.  I can take it.  I've had a horrible morning of dodging tornadoes in Alabama...so if you critique my LO's name I will be OK. 

We decided to name her Savanna.  Savanna without the H on the end.  Mainly because I wanted to name her Vanna but DH wouldn't let me.  So we went with Savanna and we are gonna nickname her Vanna.  I just love the name Vanna.  I always have.  Since we are calling her Vanna I didn't wanna put the H in Savanna in case she starts going by Vanna in school and stuff.  Does that make sense?

(My husbands name is Van.  That's why I like Vanna and Savanna so much.  I know, I'm a dork. )

Now I'm starting to think we should put the H at the end.  But we already have so much stuff monogrammed.  And frankly, I would rather just change her name altogether before I put the H at the end.  (And plus, we've been calling her Savanna since 16 weeks...)  

My baby shower invitations went out last week and the hostesses spelled her name SAVANNAH on the invitation after I told them 6,000x it is SAVANNA! 

I'm so ill today.  What do yall think?   I know several girls named Savanna (no H)...but obviously, according to some people, it's dumb not to put the H at the end. 

Her name is Savanna Belle....I just like it better than Savannah Belle. 

BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Now I'm doubting our name choice...what do u think??

• Sounds like a very Southern name!  I like it.  And I love that DH's name is Van...that makes it more special, IMO.  It sounds like you love the name and the spelling.  That's really all that matters.  Sure, people are going to misspell it.  Oh well!  It won't kill her.  DH is Erik and he gets Eric ALL the time, as well as occasionally Erick.  He doesn't care.  He just corrects people.  No big deal.

I think you should stick with it.  And be careful...I'm from Memphis, but lived in AL for 9 years.  I've heard that the weather is awful! 

Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I personally don't care for the name (or Vanna) but if it is what you love, then stick with it. Do you and DH have a runner-up that you were considering? I would either stick with Savanna (no H) or change it altogether.
    Mom to DD#1 December '06, DD#2 Feb '09 and DS March '12
  • Loading the player...
  • I am on the train of thought that it is your baby, and you should name her what ever you want. I don't think Savanna without the H looks bad at all, but that's just me. Now will you have people spell her name wrong? Yes. Just don't take offense to it. My name is Jennifer, but I go by Jenni...people have spelled my nn wrong my whole life. I get Jenny, Jeny, Jeanie, Jenie, etc. I don't take offense to it, because I know they know my name, and to me it isn't that big of a deal. If Savanna Belle is her name, and that is what you love than name her that.

DX PCOS in 2000 TTC since April 2010 DX Hypothyroidism 6/2010 Referred to RE 9/2010.

BFP in June 2011, DD born in 2012

Joined the baby train again 8/2013. First month, out due to re-diganosis of Hashimotos.

Sept 2013, 2.5 letrozole and trigger, low progestrone and using supplements = BFN.

Oct 2013 2.5 Letrozole, trigger, and IUI = low progestrone (8.9, using supplements) and BFP 11/6 Beta 26.9, Beta 2 @ 30, Beta 3 @ 25.3, Beta 4 @ 25.2 CP 5w1d

Nov 2013: ? waiting on AF

• I agree w/Colleen.  An H at the end of her name is not a big deal.  I would just keep her name Savanna since you love it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I personally think it is fine with out an H. I think the whole name Savanna Belle is cute also. I wouldn't change it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well I'm the unpopular opinion.  Having it spelled differently than the original spelling of Savannah is ultimately going to cause your daughter to have to correct EVERYONE.  Apparently you have already run into this with the invitations BEFORE she was even born.

It will be mispelled EVERYWHERE.  Why do this to her?  Just because her NICKNAME will be Vanna?  

Personally I wouldn't do it.  Too much heartache for her throughout life for really no reason. 

ps I work in HR and deal with name issues ALL DAY LONG.  So it's a giant pet peeve of mine. 

• I like Savannah with an H. But do whatever you want - it's your choice.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love your name choice, I have a very good friend who names her Savannah (yes, with the H) as well. As a teacher I prefer children to have "normal" spelled names but as a soon to be mother who obsessed over my child's name, I say spell her name however you want.
  • I personally like it better with the "h" on the end, but like PP said, it's not that big of a deal and you obviously like it a lot better without, so I'd go with that. 

And keep safe in those tornadoes!  

Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• The word savanna could be spelled with or without the H.  It's just Savannah, Georgia that is spelled with the H at the end.  It's not like it's incorrect to spell savanna (as an ecosystem) without an h... so it's not MISSPELLED.

The name is NMS at all, but if you love it, don't listen to anyone else about the H.  I think the H is a silly thing to be concerned with. 

P.S. Hope you are safe after that line of storms!  I live in AL too, but we are far enough south that we were spared a lot of the destruction that seemed to hit farther north.

• I like it with or without the H, it's very pretty :] 

No matter how common the name..it will be spelled wrong. I have a pretty common name (Robin) & I get Robyn or Robbin all the time...really, it is no big deal to have to correct people. To say that OMG it is just such a life burden..seriously? It is not a big deal to me at all. Yes, I am sure many people scoff at my name choice for our LO & it's spelling..but DH & I love it, so that is what counts to me. We gave her a more common, easily spelt middle name, so if it is that big of a deal to her..she can always go by Emma.

• I disagree, it is a life burden to some.  Honestly Savanna/Savannah isn't that bad, I have seen MUCH MUCH worse.  But why burden them at all, really? 
  • Like I said, even with my name I have still have people spell it wrong. I think it comes from people knowing someone/multiple people with a name spelt one way, so that is how they spell it for everyone. Even if I gave my LO the common spelling of "Riley", she could still have someone spell it Rylee/Reilly if that is how they see it in their head. If you name your kid "Jason", but the person filling out paperwork knows 5 people with the spelling "Jayson", that is probably how they are likely to spell it.
  • imageSassyRedhead:

Well I'm the unpopular opinion.  Having it spelled differently than the original spelling of Savannah is ultimately going to cause your daughter to have to correct EVERYONE.  Apparently you have already run into this with the invitations BEFORE she was even born.

It will be mispelled EVERYWHERE.  Why do this to her?  Just because her NICKNAME will be Vanna?  

Personally I wouldn't do it.  Too much heartache for her throughout life for really no reason. 

ps I work in HR and deal with name issues ALL DAY LONG.  So it's a giant pet peeve of mine. 

I have a name that was very popular in the 60-70's but is spelled completely different than what everyone is use to seeing it as.  It never crossed my mind on how different it is and it has never bothered me. Yes everyone has to be corrected and I have to spell it out everytime I make an appt., reservation...and yet never experienced "heartache" from it. I think excluding an "H" in Savanna is no big deal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I am one of those people that have a name spelled a bit differently.  I spell my name with one "e" whereas the common spelling of my name in the states is with two "e"s.  I just smile and say, nope just one e! When I spell it for someone.  It's never bugged me or been a burden.  There are so many people that can't spell to begin wih, it's not a big deal to me when they spell it wrong.  Spell your kid's name the way you want. She will not have a terrible burden or complex because of a lack of an h!
  • I think Savanna is a beautiful name.  And people can suck it if they don't like the way you're spelling your little girl's name.  Also "Savanna" is a real spelling.  (https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-savanna-4034.htm

I'm Christen.  My name gets butchered: Kristin, Kristen, Christine.  It's not that big of deal to me.  I'm sure your daughter won't mind if people occasionally misspell her name.

• Myself I would have spelled it with the H, however correcting people isn't that big of a deal.  I correct people every day how to spell my name, and frankly even with a common name people will misspell it.  Most the time it doesn't matter, if it on a form the person inputing your name should ask you spelling anyway and if its on your starbucks cup who the hell cares if they spell it wrong as long as the drink it right.  However if I realized I wanted to spell her name different I wouldn't care if I monogrammed things b/c the few items monogrammed mean a lot less than the actual name my child will carry for their whole life.
  • Love the name, like it better with the h personally, but I wouldn't side eye either way.
  • I like the name and the "h" really isn't a big deal.  But...everyone is going to spell it Savannah.  Her teachers, her employers, her friends.  And she is going to have to correct everyone.  I think it is hard because Savannah is already a city so it already has a "correct" spelling.    (You can still call her Vanna!)

I have to correct everyone on the spelling of my name and you just get used to it.  I also don't correct people half of the time though because I am sick of it. 

• I also think its very pretty and very southern (Gone with the Wind type of southern)  Very lovely!  She will be spelling that name out for the rest of her life but its no biggie (I do it almost every day).  I feel like my real name is not just Karla but "Karla with a K" as I say that so often.  Smile Again, no biggie, just something you have to deal with and if you really love that name, I doubt you would be happier with anything else.  Just go with it girl!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I am Kristin and my husband is Jon.  Both super common spellings but the second most common. Take is from me, add the h to the end. You will save her a ton of frustration down the road. People that I've worked with for 7 years still spell my name incorrectly and it drives me crazy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedanielle4348:
    I like the name and to me, it doesn't look weird without the h :)

Yes

• Personally I like the look of the "h" at the end of the name, but that's JMO.  I think even with the "h" she could go by Vanna.  If you like it, than stick with it.

25 People Who Haven't Quite Figured Out Parenting Yet

Lilypie - (TIAf)

Lilypie - (95p4)

• imageSassyRedhead:

Well I'm the unpopular opinion.  

I agree. I love the name but spell it with the H. Everyone will automatically put the H on the end so save her a lifetime of correcting people.

If her NN ends up being Vanna then she can spell that however she likes. Coming from an Elizabeth, I have had about 700 NN during my life, none chosen by me, and all spelled differently. Liza, Lisa, Lizzie, Lizzy, Betty, Beth, Betsy...

If I saw Savanna on a form, I would honestly wonder if the computer cut off her name. 

• I think if you like the name, go with it!!  My name is not spelled in a traditional way and I have been correcting people for years.  I did feel like it was somewhat of a burden when I was small because there wasn't much custom monogramming, etc. in the 80s.  However, I think it makes me even more unique.  Some of my friends even call me "Courtni with an I"

We are naming our little girl Madeline....and several people have already commented that we are spelling it wrong.  Personally, I think the people who spell it Madalynn are the strange ones, but would never insult someone that way.  We are also spelling her nickname Maddi.  Several family members have complained that it is supposed to have an "e" on the end....However, ending girls names with an "i" is a tradition in our family.  I actually left the decision up to my DH, and he thought it would be neat for her name to be like mine. 

• I don't think it matters either way. I obviously have a preference since we're naming our LO Savannah. ;-) But I think it's the same as choosing between Sarah or Sara. It's really your personal preference.
  • As a teacher, I've seen so many students go through this, too. You just have to weigh how much you love the spelling vs. how patient you can be for the rest of her life with corrections.
    Anniversary

• I love the name!  I don't think it matters at all how you spell it, I think it looks fine with or without the h at the end.  Even if you end up adding the H, you can still spell her nickname without it.

My first name is an uncommon spelling of a somewhat common name, and everyone always spells it wrong.  And it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I correct people if I feel like it and let it go the rest of the time. My teachers and friends eventually got it down, and I haven't ever run into any problems. 

If it is going to drive you crazy that people constantly misspell your daughter's name, then you might want to go with the more common spelling.  If you can let it go, then stick with whatever you prefer :)

• Thank you all so much for your input and opinions.  I love the name we have chosen and I'm 99% sure we will stick with it, but I also don't want her to hate us when she gets older because people misspell it.  But I think they will misspell it either way to be honest.  My name is Jamie and people misspell it all the time as Jaime.  It has never bothered me...I just simply correct them.

Also, I didn't make up the spelling to this name...I've seen it several times without the H.  I've seen it spelled Savanna just as much as Savannah.  As someone mentioned earlier, it is just like Sarah/Sara.  I think both of those names are pretty and I wouldn't give a side eye to either one. 

I'm not a fan of yew-neek spellings for names so the last thing I want is for someone to think that my daughter has a yewneek name...lol.

I'm a teacher too, except I teach at an all-boy military school so I don't have many Savanna(h)'s come through...Wink but I used to work at a daycare.  I saw several Savanna's.  I think that spelling is more popular than some people think.

And I like Savannah too...beautiful name.....but since I wanna call her Vanna (yes, like Vanna White) I just don't want that darn H.

Thanks again everyone!!! Have a good day...I had to leave work early and go to the doc unexpectedly because I started seeing stars and thought I was gonna faint at lunch.  My blood pressure was ridiculously high (again) so I'm under strict orders to rest and take it easy...I go back in 24 hours for a check-up....

It's been an awesome Monday <-------- extreme sarcasm!

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • My daughter is Savannah and has only ever went by the NN Vanna.  Everyone loves it but I do not think it matters which way you spell it other than she will not have pencils, stickers, etc with her name on them if it has no 'h'. 
  • Don't even worry about adding the "h" if you've liked Savanna since the beginning stick with it.  Many people are use to adding the H at the end of the name, so just kinda get use to it... surely they don't mean it to be offensive & you should be aware that its going to happen a lot!! No big deal.
  • In 2010 there were 5311 Savannahs and 837 Savannas, and several other much less common variants. I haven't like having a rare-but-"legit" variant of my name because it is constantly misspelled, so I tried hard to pick a name for my LO with no common variants. But most names, especially girls' names, do have known, accepted variants (Sophia/Sofia, Claire/Clare, Lily/Lilly... I could go on all day). Even if you pick the most popular version, people will still sometimes get it wrong.

I don't see the nn "Vanna" as a reason you have to choose Savanna over Savannah, but if you prefer no H, I don't think it's a big deal. Just be prepared to tell people a million times how it is spelled, and don't be surprised when they screw it up anyway.

• imageSassyRedhead:

Well I'm the unpopular opinion.  Having it spelled differently than the original spelling of Savannah is ultimately going to cause your daughter to have to correct EVERYONE.  Apparently you have already run into this with the invitations BEFORE she was even born.

Totally agree with Red here... I'm a Sara, no H, and I've spent my entire life correcting people. I think it probably doesn't matter to some people, but I'm a type A perfectionist, and it irks me to no end when people misspell my name - even when it's in my email!!!!

If I were you, I would name her Savannah, and shorten the nickname to Vanna. I can't see someone spelling it Vannah if they know her name. Vanna is more common than Vannah.

Lachlan
    born March 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"