March 2012 Moms

Fellow GD Mamas

Well, its official, I failed my 3 hr a few weeks ago and met with the dietitian yesterday.  I check my levels 4x a day and follow her diet for the next 8-9 weeks.  However, my levels are much higher than the normal GD range and I am looking at taking insulin shots if I can't get it under control this week. 

My questions are:

Any other March Mamas on insulin shots? How many per day? Is it painful?

If not, what are some of your higher levels? (My fasting levels so far have been 110, after meals have been 130-145)

Are you having problems getting enough blood for the strips? (I poke 4-5 times before I'm able to get a finger to bleed)

This morning I checked my levels 2 hrs after bkfast. they were high at 145. I figured I would try exercising for a bit to bring them down, but after a few minutes of exercise, the levels had shot to 165!  I checked again on a different finger to see if this was misread, but it said 160.... How is this possible?? BS levels going UP after not eating??  

Married: 10.28.2004 BFP 1: 2006, m/c 5 weeks BFP 2: 2008, m/c 10 weeks BFP 3: 2009, m/c 6 weeks BFP 4: July 15, 2011 Welcome Parker! Feb. 19, 2012 image

Re: Fellow GD Mamas

• I don't have any advice on the insulin, I have only taken the oral meds. My fasting number has always been hard to control, and I only take meds once a day for that. (usually in the 95-110 range)

As far as trouble getting blood, don't stick yourself again, just really squeeze the finger where you did the needle prick. Sometimes you have to kind of massage the blood out, if that makes sense? You may want to try to fool around with the settings on your needles too, maybe you have it set too low?  I know I have to set it on 2 or 3 to get enough blood, one does not work for me.

I also don't know why they would go up after exercise, sorry no answers on that one either.

Good luck!

m/c 4/4/11 @11w6d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry your having such a tough time..Have you met with the dietitian or endocrinologist again to speak about your high fasting numbers??

I usually don't have any numbers above the max that they gave me which is 120....

Like the other poster I had same issue with blood...make sure you are drinking enough water and massage your finger from the base up....

I'm not sure what else to offer since I have been able to control my GD with diet.....Hope you get some answers soon...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this.  :-/  I don't have any experience but hang out on the high risk board for other reasons and see GD come up a lot there.  You might XP this over there as well?  Hope things get easier for you soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelisaNDmike08:
    I'm so sorry you're going through this.  :-/  I don't have any experience but hang out on the high risk board for other reasons and see GD come up a lot there.  You might XP this over there as well?  Hope things get easier for you soon!

Definitely check out the high risk board... lots of good GD info there.

So far diet has worked for me.  My numbers at 2 hours after eating are usually about 115.  My dietician/diabetes educator lady told me to make sure they were below 120 2 hours after meals and below 140 1 hour after meals.  Mine have MOSTLY stayed in that range, and when they go up, they are only a little bit above the range.

I'm also not sure why your levels would go up after exercising.... definitely a question for your OB or dietician next time you see them.

I sometimes have to stick myself more than once, but usually only on my thumb or index finger.  The other fingers seem to bleed well.  Like a PP said, you might want to adjust the depth of your lancet.  Mine is set to 3 and if that doesn't seem to do the trick I make sure I push it hard into my finger before "pulling the trigger."

Good luck!

• Sorry to hear you failed...it's not a fun feeling. I've always eaten pretty healthy, so I haven't had to change my diet too much. Just by cutting out sweets and monitoring my carbs, I've been able to keep my GD under control. I don't think I'll be needing medication or insulin...so I can't offer any input there.

My fasting numbers are usually in the 70s, and my after meal levels are anywhere from 90-130, depending on what I've eaten. I honestly think I'm a "borderline" diagnosis. My doctor said I don't need to keep a food journal anymore, just to track my numbers.

As for pricking my fingers, sometimes it's so frustrating! I have it on the highest setting (7), and sometimes I still have trouble getting a deep enough prick. It's not like I have hands of steel or anything! I'll massage as much I possibly can, and still not nearly enough blood. So I just end up trying a different area until I'm successful.

Wish I could provide more input beyond that. Good luck!

image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Awww, I'm sorry, it stinks I know! I'm not on insulin but am checking levels 4x a day too. I have had numbers between 65-135 since I've been on the new diet and I'm not sure why they vary so much. I was having trouble getting enough blood too, but like pp, I changed my tester to a higher power. I also put my arm down to help blood flow and squeeze my finger and that helps.

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Thank you for your advice, ladies! I'm meticulously checking levels and hope to talk to the dietitian again soon for clarification. 

LisaNDmike, thanks for the tip to look on the high-risk board!  I've been over there all afternoon and its a wealth of info for GD :)  

Married: 10.28.2004 BFP 1: 2006, m/c 5 weeks BFP 2: 2008, m/c 10 weeks BFP 3: 2009, m/c 6 weeks BFP 4: July 15, 2011 Welcome Parker! Feb. 19, 2012 image
  • I'm not a GD but i do have T1D and have for the last 8 years.

I was on insulin shots 4x a day prior to going on my insulin pump and only really found them painful when I stuck them in in an angle. As long as you are doing it perpendicular to your skin, it should be relatively painless. If you need help on learning how to inject them, your diabetes educator (nurse) can show you exactly how you should be doing it.

I'm in Canada and we use a different system of measurement for blood sugar than in the US but I have readings anywhere from 2.4 - 22 (non-diabetic is 6)

As I've had diabetes for awhile I have had many types of blood testing issues. Are you pricking the side of the top of your finger? If you are, then you might need to turn the intensity on your poker up.

Contrary to popular beleif, excersise is not alwasy good for your blood sugars. If they're already high there is the possibility of them going higher forcing your body to produce ketones. Probably the best thing to do is discuss it with your diabetes educator or dietician.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                    Anniversary
  • When you check your blood sugar, always use the first number you get. Don't try retesting yourself or using different fingers. I did this and my dr. yelled at me lol. She said for whatever reason when you retest yourself in a matter of minutes apart on different fingers you will get some wacky results.

I have no advice on the exercising. So far Exercise has helped my blood sugar to go down, aside from one morning where it went up a point instead of going down. I think it just depends on what your body needs at the time.

Mostly my numbers have been pretty consistent after meals, and I have been able to get my fasting numbers under 90 in the mornings. So I do not need insulin at this point, but my fasting numbers are the most difficult for me to control.

Good luck!

DX PCOS in 2000 TTC since April 2010 DX Hypothyroidism 6/2010 Referred to RE 9/2010.

BFP in June 2011, DD born in 2012

Joined the baby train again 8/2013. First month, out due to re-diganosis of Hashimotos.

Sept 2013, 2.5 letrozole and trigger, low progestrone and using supplements = BFN.

Oct 2013 2.5 Letrozole, trigger, and IUI = low progestrone (8.9, using supplements) and BFP 11/6 Beta 26.9, Beta 2 @ 30, Beta 3 @ 25.3, Beta 4 @ 25.2 CP 5w1d

Nov 2013: ? waiting on AF

• Any other March Mamas on insulin shots? How many per day? Is it painful?

I just started insulin last night, and I only have to do it right before bed. The only number I am having issues with is my fasting number. It's not painful, and the needle is smaller then the one you use to test with.

Are you having problems getting enough blood for the strips? Like others said - check your lancet setting.  Wash your hands, massage the finger you are going to test, and then poke.  You may have to squeeze around where you poked.

Not sure about you, but if I don't eat every 2-3 hours my levels spike, and I have to eat protien and carbs.  Some ladies on the high risk board have suggested at least 7-8 grams of protein to every serving (15g) of carbs. This has helped me a lot. 

Hope that helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"