July 2012 Moms

Getting a new dog??

So DH wants to get a new dog for the baby to have to grow up with. We already have one dog and this is the first baby. I'm just not sure about being first time parents and training a new dog. Anyone have any input?? What kind of dog would you recommend?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Getting a new dog??

• I would say don't do it.  You'll have your hands full with a baby, nevermind trying to train and acclimate a new pet into your lives.  You can always explore the option later once you've adjusted to one big change.  Getting a new dog wouldn't be fair to you or the dog.
  • imageKS070508:
    I would say don't do it.  You'll have your hands full with a baby, nevermind trying to train and acclimate a new pet into your lives.  You can always explore the option later once you've adjusted to one big change.  Getting a new dog wouldn't be fair to you or the dog.

This.

The baby isn't going to really know or care whether they have their "very own" dog to "grow up with" from the time they're born. Why not wait until the child is older, and will be able to appreciate and have more joy out of a puppy anyway (and possibly be helpful in caring for it)?

Mama's Clone - 07/18/12

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't. We had started to think about getting another dog a few months ago (we've been a 3 dog family before) because we were finally comfortable around DD's first birthday with how our routine was.  Then we found out we were pregnant and that squashed that idea FAST.

Wait until the baby is AT LEAST 6 months old, if not older.

• Don't do it.  I'd suggest waiting until your kid understands basic language, like 'leave the dog alone', and consider getting a dog who's at least a year or two old who knows simple commands and won't destroy baby items and furniture while he's teething.

ETA: I forgot to throw in the commitment of taking a dog to training classes and doing daily training, and if you get a puppy, do you really want to add potty breaks every two hours to figuring out a newborn?  Puppies must be supervised or crated at all times, which is a tall order for someone with a new baby.

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • I would wait till the baby is more like 3 or 4.  My parents got me a puppy when I was 4 and I got to name it and remember everything.  I loved that dog sooo much!  She was a Golden Retriever.  I think they picked a good time because I was old enough to understand while still being young enough to "grow up" with the dog.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No way!  My dad just got a new puppy and it is so much work. You forget how much effort it takes. I couldn't imagine dealing with that and getting ready for a new baby. We have a very old dog now, we will get another one eventually. We are thinking when our child is 3-4 and can enjoy it and "help" us more. 
    TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • I work with animal rescue and help place dogs and my recommendation is that if you really want one, don't get a puppy. You can find purebred dogs in shelters. Any dog over 1 is usually  much easier to train (we're talking a few weeks as opposed to MONTHS) and financially it's a plus because the dog will already be vaccinated and neutered/spayed. After a year it should not be teething anymore so destruction will be minimal as well as accidents in the home. I work with rescue and I hate having to bring puppies into my home because of how much work they are. I've had dogs that lived their lives chained to a tree & I had them trained in 1 week w/ out the use of a crate so that's why I say 1 year + :-) HTH
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • THIS close to the baby being born, its not a good idea.  you need to have A LOT of time to train a puppy.  If you guys did this a year ago, i would say go for it.

In the future, i would look at Labs or Lab Mixes, since they seem to be the best with kids.

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

• Are you insane?
  • Good lord, no, don't do it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My parents got a family dog when I was 4-my sister was 2.  I feel like I grew up with her even though she wasn't there when I was born.  I remember how much fun I had picking out our puppy and playing with her when she was so tiny.

We have a 5 year old dog now and she was a lot of work during the first couple years.  I think it's nice that you and your husband want a family dog for your baby-but I agree with the rest of the posts, one thing at a time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have two dogs, a pug-beagle mix (Otis) and a German shepherd-Rhodesian ridgeback mix (Kirby). We got Kirby in April of 2011 and based on that I would NOT get a new dog while pregnant. Rescuing him when he was 10 weeks old was just a lesser version of having a child. He kept us up at night. It took time to potty train him. He howled initially every time we put him in his crate. It takes a lot to train a dog well. It takes consistency and to be honest I would not be up to it while I'm pregnant. Maybe if it is really important to your husband you could wait until you get into a good rhythm with the baby? 
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • imageCrystalDaun:
    I work with animal rescue and help place dogs and my recommendation is that if you really want one, don't get a puppy. You can find purebred dogs in shelters. Any dog over 1 is usually  much easier to train (we're talking a few weeks as opposed to MONTHS) and financially it's a plus because the dog will already be vaccinated and neutered/spayed. After a year it should not be teething anymore so destruction will be minimal as well as accidents in the home. I work with rescue and I hate having to bring puppies into my home because of how much work they are. I've had dogs that lived their lives chained to a tree & I had them trained in 1 week w/ out the use of a crate so that's why I say 1 year + :-) HTH

This.  I don't work with animal resuce but I do work for a vet and I definitely would not recommend a puppy.  Like Crystal said, if you're really set on getting a dog, adopt one that is at least 1+ years old: they'll be fixed, vaccinated and, many times, are housebroken as well.  I would not get a large breed dogs as those types (Labs, Goldens, Boxers, Weimereiners, etc.) tend to stay in the puppy stage for 3+ years.  You also don't want to get anything too small (yorkie, chihuahua, toy poodle, etc.) b/c they will just get underfoot.  Finally, some types of dogs (schnauzers, beagles, bassett hounds, etc.) tend to bark/howl a lot, that's just what they do!!  Dogs are a lot of work but are very rewarding and you don't want to get a dog now just to realize that it's too much work and you have to get rid of it a few months later.  Do what is best for both you AND the dog.  Good luck!

Anniversary Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We got our puppy in July 2011.  She is an amazing dog but so much work, especially at first.  We were outside every 45 minutes working on potty training.  I can not imagine doing that pregnant.  Bending over cleaning accidents, waking up in the middle of the night for potty time.  I would kindly ask your husband for at least a year or two.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Not a good idea. I currently have a 1 year old pup, and my mom has basically had him my entire pregnancy, because I do not have the energy to keep up with him and his desire to play all day.  I get him back tonight for the weekend.  My mom wanted to get a new dog (she has been dog-less for 3 years), but I basically have given her shared custody. I feel awful, but I really couldn't give him the time he deserves right now. I would want until no more diapers at least. Think about all that poop and potty training.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"