July 2012 Moms

Let's talk about your significant other...

My earlier post got so many comments about husbands, boyfriends and fiances that I'm curious to hear- how is your significant other handling the pregnancy?  Is there something he's done that's just too precious not to share?  Anything you wanted to beat the living daylights out of him for?  
Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
 CafeMom Tickers

Re: Let's talk about your significant other...

• My huband has been so great during this pregnancy... he's always been a super great guy (obviously! lol), but I did not expect him to get so excited about the baby/pregnancy so early on.  He's loving my baby bump and it's been really wonderful having such a supportive guy (especially as I am getting bigger).  I feel like I'm totally bragging on him, but it's just so true... and I wasn't expecting anything more than his normal great self! lol

Last night we were watching tv and I go "I think I can feel the baby move" and he  immediatly puts the tv on mute, and touches my stomach and tries to "listen"... it's so freaking cute.  He knows it's way to early for him to feel anything, but he's just really into the whole thing.  I love that.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 | DD born July 2012
    BFP #2 | EDD 04.18.14 | D&C 10.01.13 @ 11w3d
    BFP #3 | EDD 09.15.14
  • He's always been really good at handling my pregnancies.  I was very, very sick with ds1 and we were living in London at the time.  I ended up in the hospital because I couldn't stop throwing up.  Over there, I was in a room with 5 other women and he was not allowed to stay with me, in the room, during the night.  He slept in the emergency room waiting area, in a hard chair, which I thought was really sweet.  He refused to go home.  Other than that, he helps out and doesn't give me a hard time about my cravings.  I can appreciate that! :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine is being amazing. This was a long road to get here for us, so I am not surprised. :)
    TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • My DH has been wonderful. We had a rough spot in the middle of my first trimester about the house going to hell, but we worked it out. If he goes to the store he always asks if I would like anything or need anything.
    Matt and Krystal 9-18-05
    DD 1/29/07 -

BabyFetus Ticker
  • HAHA where do I start.

My husband is a jewl anyway, but he can be a pain.

When i bought my bella band he didn't realize what it was for and thought it was something more like a girdle, so he got upset with me for trying to "hide" my belly.

He also has this funny little attitude that "His kids won't act like that"Indifferent lol I keep trying to tell him that its all up to him teaching the rights and wrongs, but that sometimes kids just act out. They're kids.

The other day I had a thought about if the baby is a boy. I said to him, "you'd have to teach him how boys pee, idk how that works" lol (I know kinda dumb, but it was one of those worry days for me) and he says "I'll just tell him how my dad told me...If you play with you lizzard, you'll go blind" SurpriseI was like dumdfounded...lol I was thinking that's awful!!! but considering who it came from, I'm not too suprised. My FIL is an a$$.

Oh gosh I could go on and on.

OH I got one more that cracked me up.Big Smile

I asked a couple days ago did he think I should go ahead and call the daycare and get our name on the list? He said, "well yeah you can't just pop this baby out and expect someone to take care of it" Its sounds kinda mean and dickish lol, but I know he didn't mean it that way and I was like ok I'll call thanks for your help Confused

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyName Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My DH has been great as well.  He's a "no excuses" type guy so in the beginning it was difficult for him to understand my sickness and exhaustion, but he's always stepped up when I've needed him.  The more we go to the OB and see ultrasounds, the more excited he gets.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • My husband has been seriously fabulous. He's not a mushy guy at all, but always super supportive. I was ready for kids before he was, so when we decided we would go for it, I was really hoping that he wasnt doing it for me. He's really, genuinely excited though, and I couldn't ask for anything more. I love him and I'm going to go tell him now!! ;-)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine's been great. He loves the way my body has changed and that always makes me feel better when I have nothing I want to wear. 

I only have one complaint.  He doesn't think I should lift anything!  If I try to carry in the groceries from the car, he says, "You shouldn't be doing that!  I'll do it. Go inside!"   It can be annoying.  I'm pregnant, not an invalid!

IVF #1 ER 10/12 ET 10/15 BFP!! EDD 7/4/12 BabyFruit Ticker
  • You guys are bragging on your DH. Mine honestly is great, but he absolutely cracks me up!! He comes up with the silliest things. I wouldn't have it anyother way lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyName Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My husband has kept the house clean and not once complained that I've cooked a total of 1 meal in 3+ months b/c I've felt like absolute crap the whole time. I know he'd take over toddler duty 100% if he could on my really bad days, but DD doesn't allow that:)   
  • My DH is awesome. He really is. He contines to be great during this pregnancy. However, last week, we had a minor hiccup. Back story: Before I got pregnant I was a healthier eater. Now I really crave red meat all the time. He will only eat red meat occassionally. Well, he choose to wait until 2 am (I was sound asleep) to tell me in a cryptic tone that he had "something to tell me." I am thinking the worst, OF COURSE. Well he wasn't sure how to bring it up, but he was really worried about the amount of red meat we had been eating for dinner and he would like me to fix him something else. I was half asleep. I said, "Fine, no problem. I know ground chicken is healthier, and I can't justifiy us eating red meat all the time. No big deal." What does he say? "I can see I have upset you. I was only trying to say we should eat healthier. I don't know how to talk to you about this..." Blah, blah, blah.

Seriously, this went on for 2 hours. I was a crying, tired and emotional mess. At the end of it all, I told him. "Honey, with my pregnancy hormones, unless you are waking me up to tell me you love me or that I am the most beautiful woman in the world, please do NOT wake me up again over some &##*($I$%*#* meat!" I think he got it after that. We're cool now, but I swear sometimes boys are DUMB.

Together Together, 9-23-06. Little Girl is Here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We all come from different places. So yes, honestly my husband has been awesome. You have to understand it took five years, donor sperm, three failed IUI's and an IVF cycle to get here. We have been wanting this forever. So we are kind of living in bliss right now. Just enjoying each day as it comes. I am not bragging it is just what it is. 
    TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • My marriage is mostly conducted over email right now, so we don't have daily talk about the babies and I don't think he fully comprehends how the pregnancy affects me all.day.long, but on the other hand, I don't want to get into the minute by minute replay of my symptoms or anything.  He's being as nice about it as he can from over there. :)
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • imagemandalinn25:
    We all come from different places. So yes, honestly my husband has been awesome...Just enjoying each day as it comes. I am not bragging it is just what it is. 

This. Didn't mean to brag at all, but me husband has seriously been damn near perfect. He's always pretty wonderful, but he had upped his game for sure.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My husband has been fantastic, which is no surprise for me :)  We'd been trying for a while and had already had a m/c, so when I got my BFP, I just came out to the living room sobbing and holding the pee stick.  He was at a total loss at how to console me because the line on the test was so faint that he wasn't sure if it was positive or not!  Poor guy :) 

At our first u/s, we got to hear the hb, and he squeezed my hand and had tears in his eyes, which I thought was really sweet.  When we got home from the appointment, he started frantically working around the house.  I asked why, and he was like, "My God, we're going to have a baby here before we know it!  There's so much to be done!"

With my nausea and exhaustion, things haven't been easy for him.  He gets frustrated because I'm sick all the time and can't help him around the house (he's not frustrated at me, just the situation).  But he's such a trooper about it all!

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • DH has been amazing. He's been super excited since the get-go, very involved and engaged, and very doting on me (I'm loving his new habit of literally running to the door when I get home from work to remove my bags and coat for me, and put everything away so I don't have to).

I attribute it to the fact that DH was 100% ready to start TTC. I really let him drive the decision for when we'd start, and kept very open to him changing his mind at the "last minute" if suddenly he felt he needed it. It meant I had to wait a little longer than I wanted to, but I love that DH was fully committed to our mutually made plans and has been so excited and involved in the whole process.

Mama's Clone - 07/18/12

• My DH has done the dishes every day since the leftover food on them makes me sick. He also has really stepped up in helping to take care of DD. He is so awesome. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Mine is definitely not perfect either, but I have far more things to brag about than to complain about.

Other than small quirky things, he's been awesome.  When he comes home from work, he greets our dogs (because they won't let him past them), then me and then rubs my belly and talks to the baby.  He made sure we got my Snoogle as soon as I mentioned it and doesn't say a word about my cravings.  Even though he's slammed at work, he has been to every appointment and has no intention of missing one.  His friends and coworkers have told me he talks about the baby a lot and that he's excited.  He rubs my back and anywhere else that hurts and doesn't complain that we're not having "play time" (sorry- need to be work safe) more than every other week or so. 

Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
     CafeMom Tickers
  • My DH is handling this pregnancy better than I am. I'm so sick and exhausted. I'm also really struggling with the fact that I'm going to have 2u2. He's just been really supportive and encouraging.  

My DH has been amazing to me this pregnancy. He works 3 long days and has 4 days off, so he's a huge help. He changes all of DD's nasty diapers without me asking. He's done the dishes more since I got pregnant than he has our entire marriage. Also, he takes DD to his parents every other week for an evening to give me a break. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My husband is absolutely Fab!  He is a great dad to DD, and is so excited for the next LO.  He wants a boy but knows better to get his hopes up.  He and his BFF growing up always said they would be "cursed" with all girls.  BFF has 4 girls lol.  

He always understands that when I am hungry it doesn't mean I can wait an hour to eat, that I need to eat now.  Even though he teases me about it he makes sure that I get to eat when I am hungry.  We do dinner with friends a lot and always makes sure if they are cooking that they get on it right away, so cute.

On the other hand he is a total dummy sometimes....last week I said something to the effect of and I am pregnant, and he says, "your barely pregnant".  I was like what the H does that mean, either your pregnant or not.  Then he quickly realized what he said and took me to lunch at my favorite place.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • As far as having a gripe..my husband isn't perfect, no one is.  But he really has been great with my pregnancy and is a great father.  Of course he has things that bug me but I have an understanding, helpful husband who I'm grateful for.  Plus, I won't ever air dirty laundry on The Bump..if you do, that sh-t comes back to haunt you when you least expect it..I've seen it happen, lol! 
  • This is my first time being pregnant, but DH has been through this before with his son.  So on one hand, I'm sad that things that are super exciting for me aren't as big a thrill for him (after our first ultrasound, my SIL told me she asked him if it was exciting for him and his response was, "You do remember I've been through this before?"  ...it made me kind of sad to hear that was his reaction.) 

But on the other hand, he already understands all about pregnancy hormones, fatigue, all the changes I'm going to be going through better than I do!  So he already knew he was going to need to step up his participation around the house, and he has :)

imageimage
  • He gets excited about stupid stuff -  like our reveal cake that we planned.

Yet yesterday when we went to visit a day care there were 2 cute twin infants on the play rug, and i thought they were precious, but he commented that "they had snot hanging out of their nose".

he goes through "i'm on top of the world" moments and "whatever" moments.

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

• Mine is totally awesome, reading up on everything with me and talking to my belly and so excited.  The only negative was when I was having some morning sickness.  We lost one last spring and we can't help but worry.  Sometimes he'd see a weird look on my face and be all "what's wrong" and I'd say morning sickness, and then he would say something like "that's a good thing though; you're having symptoms."  On one hand, yes, loss of symptoms would have freaked me out.  On the other hand, being told nausea is a good thing kind of made me want to punch him.  Finally I was like, ok, how about you be nauseous for a while and I'll tell you how excellent that is.  :)
  • My DH isn't the best at dealing with a pg woman.  He's doing a little more around the house and helping out with DD, but that's about it.  One night while I was puking he brought a mint to the bathroom - I did not find it amusing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebellaxanthe:

I don't think I expected anything more out  of my husband than I have gotten, but he is not at all the doting sort of fellow. Which would freak me out TBH. He does his supportive things in his own way and under the radar and I've learned to see the greatness in that.

Honestly he was terrified. Downright freaked out about money and the change to his life.  He has a warped sense that we will never again see the light of day until the kid is 5 or something from the way his friends taunt him.  We're working on that and slowly he is coming around.  He has no idea what to do with me being so sick, but he is being more and more protective of me with others and making too many plans. That has been a load off me. Not interested in my belly at all. He's just not that guy. I would think an alien abducted my husband if he did. :-) He is building a spare bedroom though and has been cranking on it since the day I mentioned it. He's preparing in his own way.

Your DH sounds a lot like mine.  When I was pg with DD he had a dream about a gremlin popping out of my belly.  It freaked him out to touch my belly after that, lol.  Thankfully DD is adorable and does not resemble a gremlin.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH has been wonderful. I have been so tired that he has really picked up a lot of the chores.  He also never tells me what he wants for dinner, knowing that I am more particular these days. I have barely cooked and he has not complained. He went maternity shopping with me this past weekend and really seemed interested. I love that he rubs and talks to my belly and always tell the baby good morning and good night.  He continuously tells me that I look beautiful.

I do think that the amount of time that a couple was TTC might have a different effect on the pregnancy. My husband also asked me on our wedding night to start trying, but I made him wait a while so that I could advance my career and education more. He is absolutely overjoyed because of our pregnancy. His 4 year anniversary present will be the baby!

• The one thing that cracked me up was when I was reading a book that says somewhere around 11 or 12 weeks the baby's nipple will be formed. I happen to have mentioned it to him while we were taking our walk and he got so freakin excited as soon as we walk in the door he told his brother "GUESS WHAT?! My baby has nipples!!!" We had already heard the heartbeat and had an ultrasound and he was pretty chill about all that. If only I knew how exciting nipples would be to him. Now it's a real baby bc it has nipples... Go figure!
  • imageMrs.vtjaime:

imagemandalinn25:
    We all come from different places. So yes, honestly my husband has been awesome...Just enjoying each day as it comes. I am not bragging it is just what it is. 

This. Didn't mean to brag at all, but me husband has seriously been damn near perfect. He's always pretty wonderful, but he had upped his game for sure.  

x3. This experience has only brought us closer. I can't imagine him being anything less than supportive.

Fun stuff:

He read in one of my books that when babies are born, they recognize their parents' voices, and that the sound of us talking or singing to them can comfort them during what is surely a very new and scary world. So he's been thinking hard about what song he wants to sing to the baby once it gets all cleaned up and he can hold it. Crying

Also, amusingly, he is very defensive about my bump and me calling myself "chubby". He does not like it one bit. For a long time, my test to see if it was a bump or just bloat was: can I still suck it in? If I could suck it in, it obviously wasn't the baby bump. He would get so upset! "Don't suck in our baby!!!"

• Beat the living daylights out of him for? umm not so much that but I do have to ask him to help out and that annoys me. I'm sure it's just me going through a phase but I feel like I should get help without having to ask sometimes. He totally makes up for it when he tells me that when I get bigger it will hit him, but it's just not real for him yet. He also tried to sit and listen to my belly acting like he can hear the heartbeat. It's really cute and he knows he can't but does it anyway lol. 
  • My husband has been great. He missed our son's pregnancy because he's in the military and was in training school. This time he is here from the beginning, and he is enjoying it and loves looking at my stomach everyday for changes.
  • My DH has been great, but I don't think he really "feels" different.  He is super sweet to me, but he never talks to my tummy or rubs my bump or do anything like that.  I told him last week that the baby can now hear us, and all he said was "oh"; then I had to ask him to talk to my tummy.  Other than that, he's been extra helpful around the house.

The one funny thing was when we went for a NT scan and the image of the screen first popped up, the first thing DH said was "oh it's not twins!"  Twins do not run into our family, and we never talked about it, so I have NO idea why he was surprised. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"