3rd Trimester

37 weeks and flying

has anyone traveled at 37 weeks? please share your experience.

i plan to to go to new york, i am in florida now so it is a pretty short flight and my doctor didnt see anything wrong with it.

Re: 37 weeks and flying

• I'm surprised your OB was okay with that but cool.  Check with the airline you plan on using, because some have a cut off date and won't let you fly past a certain week pg.  Have fun!
    If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me. - Led Zeppelin
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    imageimage image
    Chemical Pregnancy 10/5/10
    BFP 2/7/11--m/c 2/12/11
    TTD pics taken by knottie jen&louie :o)
  • You're 37 weeks,  I'm 33. I don't even think I should be flying! But I'm really not too sure. Is it a risk because you're closer to delivery date, or is it just bad with all the air pressure up there? Ehh. If Doc says it's okay... I guess it's okay. I'd do more research just to be sure.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd also personally research the hospital at your destination just in case and bring your birth plan.  The change in air pressure could be enough to start labor, and you want to be prepared for the possibility.
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • I flew last pregnancy at 36 1/2 weeks and it was fine.  I would suggest getting a note from your doctor in case the airline tries to keep you off the plane, though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagechristinak22:
    I flew last pregnancy at 36 1/2 weeks and it was fine.  I would suggest getting a note from your doctor in case the airline tries to keep you off the plane, though.

I agree.  Most airlines have policies that you can't fly past I think 34 weeks (it should be posted on their website somewhere).  Even with a note, they could deny you.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageraceyrae:

imagechristinak22:
    I flew last pregnancy at 36 1/2 weeks and it was fine.  I would suggest getting a note from your doctor in case the airline tries to keep you off the plane, though.

I agree.  Most airlines have policies that you can't fly past I think 34 weeks (it should be posted on their website somewhere).  Even with a note, they could deny you.

I know American Airlines is only 7 days prior to due date for domestic.  My mom was in the hospital last week and I was looking into flights. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageraceyrae:

imagechristinak22:

I think it's more like 39 weeks for most airlines.  

OP- you'll be fine especially since your OB ok'd it.  Make sure you have a note from your Dr (on the office letter head and signed) stating how many weeks you'll be on the days you fly.  Get a copy of your records in case you do go into labor while you are out of town, and figure out which hospital takes your insurance in your destination.  Other than that, drink a lot of water and walk around the plane every 90 mins or so. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I'm suprised that they are letting you fly that late.  At 37 weeks they don't usually like you to do any travel because truthfully you could go at any time and won't be near the doctors.  Make sure you check with your airline because they may require a doctors note from you to get on the plane (or not let you on at all...some don't let you fly after so many weeks).  I would also make sure you have a back-up plan for doctors in new york...just in case.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTina272:
    imageraceyrae:

imagechristinak22:

I know American Airlines is only 7 days prior to due date for domestic.  My mom was in the hospital last week and I was looking into flights. 

USAir is 7 days too.

• I wouldn't do it. I flew at 34 weeks and was really uncomfortable, barely fit in the seat, and couldn't put down my tray table. When the guy in front of me leaned his seat back, it was pretty close. I could also barely fit in the plane bathroom.

I've also heard from some people that their insurance won't cover other hospitals if you travel more than an hour or two from home within a month of your due date. Might want to check on that too. 

• I wouldn't do it.  Like mentioned above, contact the airlines first just to make sure they will allow it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"