July 2012 Moms

Maternity pants at 13 weeks - feels too early

I think I'm having some sort of body image crisis here ... I know every body and pregnancy is different, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I have always had a lower belly pooch and it's getting bigger by the day. I'm still eating a normal (for me) diet but I haven't been exercising as quite much just because I've been exhausted.

I just can't stop thinking that if I already need maternity pants, I'm gaining too much too fast. I know there isn't a 'normal', but I feel like I need some reassurance for some reason that I'm not crazy and 13 weeks (as a FTM) isn't ridiculously early to be in elastic-waisted pants...

Someone help the insecure pregnant lady step down from the ledge of insanity?

Re: Maternity pants at 13 weeks - feels too early

• I started wearing them at week 10. Embarrassed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also started about week 10 and i have only gained 2 lbs to date.  It was more about comfort, I didn't like the extra pressure on my abdomen.  It seemed to make my stomach upset and make me pee more. Now with my mat jeans I actually feel like I look better, as they fit better allowing more space in the right areas.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto the bloat. Wear them - you'll be so much more comfortable! I could have started wearing them at 12 weeks but I waited until I told my work a few weeks later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went out of town for three weeks at week 8/9, and all I brought were maternity jeans and leggings. I've lost a pound, but I live in my maternity jeans. Bloat, belly, whatever, I just figured I'd rather be comfortable. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've actually lost weight since my first appointment, but am in maternity pants. They are just so much more COMFORTABLE and that is all that I really care about at this point! =)
    Proud mama to two boys Quentin born 9/11/08 & Duncan born 7/25/2012
  • I have the same problem and need to cave in soon and buy maternity pants. I have always had a small belly... just seems to be where my body likes to store fat. Now that my bump is just starting to emerge it seems that the fat is being pushed up and OUT in the grossest way. I am really wishing that I had worked harder on the belly fat prior to getting pregnant. Oh well.

Now I am just worried that I will have a permanent layer of icky fat over my pregnant belly throughout. I guess it isn't going to just magically disappear. 

• With this pregnancy I was in them SUPER early, mostly because my bloat was insane!  Then last week I spent a few days in regular pants with the belly band.  Then one day of maternity pants/belly band and now I am back in mat pants.

I read somewhere that bloat/gas gets worst if things are tight, and the jeans/belly band got tight.  When I switched I felt MUCH better  :)   Get off the ledge and into super comfy pants :)

Picture3-3.jpg

Our Twin Baby + a Big Girl Blog

And with the delivery trifecra of one twin vaginal, one c-section with general anesthesia for twin B, Spencer and Sidney joined us at 35 weeks exactly on June 18.

• I'm in agreement with most, I'm a first time mom and had to buy bigger pants so as not to squish my LO and myself. I always have body image issues but am trying to take it one day at a time. If you're eating the same diet as you have been then baby's taking up some of it too so it can't all be weight gain from foods. :) Womb expanding, amnoi fluid, baby itself, it all adds up too.

BabyFruit Ticker So happy!
  • You ladies truly are the best - and you all have really good points! Reading your responses has helped to put my mind at ease and not feel so alone in this :) Thanks everyone! The maternity pants have made me SO much more comfortable, and I have to focus on that part of it - not the weight gain & body changes.

Like my husband says: "JEN! You are pregnant. Of course your stomach will be sticking out, there IS a baby in there!" This needs to become my mantra. Thanks again ladies, I don't know what I would do without you!

• Sister, I could have written that post!  I'm the same way.  My "bump" is mostly displaced fat, as baby starts taking up more space.

I might have been able to get away with the unzipped jeans with a be-band for a while longer . . . but dangit, it just wasn't comfy anymore.  This weekend I finally gave up on my pre-pregnancy jeans and went out and got a good pair of maternity jeans.  A little early, perhaps, but I know I'll need them eventually.  And it feels so good to not have my open zipper scratching against my belly all day long.  As long as I keep my shirt pulled down, no one else knows the difference!

I AM trying to up my exercise now that I'm getting my energy back, though.  I want to be growing baby, not extra rolls!

imageimage
  • Im only 12 weeks pregnant and today i put a pair of jeans on and have decided that its probably a good time to start shopping for maternity pants.  My doctor hasnt yelled or said anything about my weight so until they say something im not worried about it.  Just think that once your baby moves its way up to your belly that whole section changes in size.  Dont sweat it, everyone's body is different.
  • week 16 here - i've been wearing them since december. they are the best. i was able to wear my regular jammie pants/ yoga pants until last night. tried on 3 pair and they fit no more. 

funny thing is that i haven't gained any weight yet - maybe a pound - just have a changing shape. 

• I've broken down and put on the maternity pants, too--even my "fat pants" weren't working...

We all look and feel funky right now, and I remember feeling the same way with my DS.  Just a few more weeks, and our squishy paunches will actually turn into baby bumps, which are way cuter.  I'm looking forward to it bc all I'm rocking right now looks like a flubbery belly along with a Kardashian-esque booty.  wth?!?!  I need some balance over here!  ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I started wearing maternity pants at 11.5 weeks....best decision ever!!

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought mine and after 10 weeks I started to wear them along with some of my more comformtable pants. Perhaps it is the hormones for this insecurity. I know some of mine is. I felt the same way, but that baby is attaching and where it attaches will depend on your comfort of the pants. I have only gained 3.8pounds since my first Dr's visit (I am 13 weeks today), but I think this baby is going to be growing out and forward for me. This might be interesting...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BFP 2/14/13, confirmed 2/15/13, m/c 2/18/13 d&c 2/18/13. I am high risk due to FVL and history of DVT's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"