Preemies

anyone know any research on preemie/underweight babies and vaccines?

I think I want to split up LO's vaccines due to his severe IUGR.  He was born 4 weeks early at only 3 lbs, 6 oz.  He's now two months old and has his vaccine appointment next week and he's now barely 6 lbs.  I've tried to find an intelligent article researching side effects/risks of underweight or preemie babies vs risk of side effects in typical babies.  It really bothers me that they take actual age (not adjusted) and then don't take weight into account.  The only articles I can find are all about Autism.  I really don't want to get into the Autism debate, just the actual known side-effects of the vaccines and if there's increased likelihood for the tiny babies.  Thanks to anyone that's already done their research! 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ........ born 11/16/11 at 36 weeks weighing 3 lbs, 6 oz

Re: anyone know any research on preemie/underweight babies and vaccines?

• I haven't seen any articles but my LO was just over 6lbs when she got her first shots. They went well and the only real side effects were fatigue and she wasn't hungry. It lasted about 2 days and she was herself again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi there! My LO was only 3lbs, 9oz when she turned two months old and she did just fine with her two-month vaccinations. They did spread the three shots out over three days, but other than that, the docs/nurses in our NICU didn't do anything differently. They did go over potential side effects with me, but IMO it was much better to make sure she was protected from these potentially fatal diseases.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • BPF May 12, 2013 :: EDD Janaury 22, 2013 :: MC Began On July 14, 2013 at 12W4D

Born at 34w2d:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imagejenmikw:

Thanks so much!  This is what I was looking for and apparently not doing a very good search.  It's hard not to worry about our little ones, especially when they're extra little.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ........ born 11/16/11 at 36 weeks weighing 3 lbs, 6 oz
  • I tried to find the same thing and couldn't.  My LO was 5 weeks early and weighed 3 lbs 12 ozs.  If I remember correctly, he weighed about 6lbs at his 2month appointment, 10lbs at his 4 month appointment and got all of his shots.  No issues. 

I was concerned about the flu shot he just had.  I actually delayed his 6 month visit to one week shy of 7 months.  The nurse and doctor ok'd this, and it made me feel better because it put him closer to the minimum age for the shot.  

HTH!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO was in the 3 pound range when she had her first vaccinations and I didn't see any side effects.
    Born at 26 weeks 2 days gestation, 2 pounds 2 ounces due to IC/PTL,
    and after 82 days in the NICU, our little girl is home!
    Untitled Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image image image
  • I had DS at 32 wks. IUGR, he weighed 2lbs 14oz he got all his shots on time he had no side effects at all to none except he was a little bit cranky after the 12 mth shots but he did just fine. He has always and still is underweight compared to the rest of his age group.

• One of my LOs was just under 5lbs when he got his 2 month shots.  They were still in the NICU when they got them.  I trusted the nursing staff and Neonatologists on this one.  It sounds like a good question for your pedi.  The only vaccine that my guys receive that they base off of weight is Synagis.
  • I was really concerned about this too.  Annie was born 2lbs 14oz at 34 weeks and a very slow grower.  She was 5ishlbs at 2 months....I think.  I had a long talk with the doc about her weight and vaccines. He said the risk of vaccinating far out weighs the risk of contracting one of these diseases with her under developed immune system if we didn't vaccinate on time. Does that make sense?  Not sure how articulate I'm being.  In the end she didn't have any issues with the vaccines and got them all on a normal actual age schedule. 
  • imageChitown chic:
    Hi there! My LO was only 3lbs, 9oz when she turned two months old and she did just fine with her two-month vaccinations. They did spread the three shots out over three days, but other than that, the docs/nurses in our NICU didn't do anything differently. They did go over potential side effects with me, but IMO it was much better to make sure she was protected from these potentially fatal diseases.

Pretty much this, except Layla was smaller. No side effects for her.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Scarlette weighed 2lbs 12oz at her 2 month vaccinations. She didn't have any long-term side effects that I have noticed (she's 14 months now) HOWEVER she DID have about a 3 day set back in reaction to the stress of the vaccinations. She went from breathing on the cannula to a rated cpap for a few days, ran a high temp and just overall reactued badly to them. Our drs. felt it was best to do them - I did a LOT of research prior and felt the same. Looking back I would have waited until she was a little stronger- she was still in the NICU in an isolette so her exposure was minimal.

But if my baby were bigger and close to discharge, I wouldn't hesitate. I think it's much more important that she is protected than to risk getting seriously sick from something preventable. And I had planned on delay-vaccinating before I gave birth so that was a big shift for me to make. Our babies just can't fight stuff off the way other babies can.

HTH!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickersPhotobucket Keep up with Scarlette at http://kaylaaimee.com
  • imagejenifairies:

imageChitown chic:
    Hi there! My LO was only 3lbs, 9oz when she turned two months old and she did just fine with her two-month vaccinations. They did spread the three shots out over three days, but other than that, the docs/nurses in our NICU didn't do anything differently. They did go over potential side effects with me, but IMO it was much better to make sure she was protected from these potentially fatal diseases.

Pretty much this, except Layla was smaller. No side effects for her.

Kevin got his first vaccine at 30 days - he was 2lbs.  No issues at all.  He's continued on the normal vaccine schedule with very few issues.  I spread out his shots now so that he doesn't get Synagis and vaccines on the same day but otherwise, he's not delayed. 

• Andrew was 2 lb 3 oz at birth so he was also small.  I personally think, especially in this case, the benefits far outweigh the risks. 
  • My pedi splits up vaccines but still does all of them by the deadline (so instead of 4 shots at 2 months, he does 2 at one month and the other two at 2 months) etc and LO did great. She was around 7 lbs at her first vacc appt.
  • we delayed stella's vaccines as much as possible but wanted them done while she was still in the NICU.  she was about 3 months old when we did them.  we split them up over a few days & she did fine.  going forward (4 month vaccines and on), we switched her to dr. sears' delayed schedule & delayed it even further so she was closer to 4 months adjusted than actual before getting the 4 month shots and so on.  my dr. wasn't happy about it but i am the mom and i decided what it pumped into my daughter's veins. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"