Baby Showers

Thoughts on registering for 2nd baby

I am pregnant with my 2nd child they will be 4 1/2 years apart. I had a son, and now I am having a sweet baby GIRL! My mom is throwing my shower but I am just wondering if I should register for stuff I really need like:

a bouncer chair, moby wrap, monitor, Rock N Play Sleeper, changing table pad covers, towels, bottles, bottle warmer, breast pump, crib mattress 

My list is not that long and I won't register for clothing since that's a given lol! I don't have anything for a girl, I have tons of boy baby clothes and shoes since I saved all of DS stuff but can't use it since I'm having a princess lol!

So what do you think? Too cheesy to register for 2nd baby eventhough I do need these essentials? 

Re: Thoughts on registering for 2nd baby

• I'm not a fan of showers after the first child, anyway, so I'd only register for the completion coupon and to use the registry as my own, personal checklist. I wouldn't give the information out, though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you've been offered a shower, then you should register, so people have an idea what you need.

I was in a local boutique baby store and they were pushing me to register even though this is my 3rd and I'm definitely not having a shower. She was saying things like, 'well, people will buy you stuff even if you aren't having a shower' ...

But this place sold $30 onsies..... if I were to register, it wouldn't be there!

I never assume anything is a 'given'  as far as people gifting us things. If you weren't being offered a shower, or declined it, I'd say buy what you need, and anything else is a bonus.

• Loading the player...
  • imageoneandbaby:

I am pregnant with my 2nd child they will be 4 1/2 years apart. I had a son, and now I am having a sweet baby GIRL! My mom is throwing my shower but I am just wondering if I should register for stuff I really need like:

a bouncer chair, moby wrap, monitor, Rock N Play Sleeper, changing table pad covers, towels, bottles, bottle warmer, breast pump, crib mattress 

My list is not that long and I won't register for clothing since that's a given lol! I don't have anything for a girl, I have tons of boy baby clothes and shoes since I saved all of DS stuff but can't use it since I'm having a princess lol!

So what do you think? Too cheesy to register for 2nd baby eventhough I do need these essentials? 

If you need these things, buy them.  A bottle warmer is hardly an "essential."  And who on earth do you expect to buy you these high dollar items at your shower for a second kid (which many people believe is tacky and gift grabby- the gift grabby certainly appears the case here) - even people who are okay with showers for a second kid tend to spend less.  Why don't you have these items from your first kid?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, girls can use boy stuff and boys can use girls.  I'm not a fan of public registries and showers for #2 just because it's a different gender.  If you want to register for your own completion discount, set it to private.  

The whole "I have to have all new stuff because this kid sits down to pee" mentality is stupid.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Yeah, I'm not a fan of registries and showers for second kids.  I would not go to your second shower.
  • There are a lot of strong opinions on having a shower for baby 2+. That part is up to you and your hostess. If you do have a shower, then I would say you could create a modest registry. You probably won't get as much as you did the first time around, so I'd stick to basics that aren't ridiculously expensive.
  • Go ahead and do it! I would just register for the essentials that you need.

Have a great shower!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If we have a second baby, I will not register or have a shower. If people want to buy a gift, it will be completely up to them.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't register.  I feel icky just thinking about it. 
  • I was told that I had better register "or else". I am being given two "sprinkles", one for family/friends and one at work (they say b/c they didn't know me when I had Juliana). I don't really mind since it's totally out of love and celebration and not to provide anything I can't buy myself. So, I have registered for the basics (wipes, some diapers) and then a few things that I would really like to have. I have a total of 15 items on my registry and none of them are over $40 each.

I was told after my loss that a surprise shower had been planned for the week after my loss. I had no clue and had not registered since I still had all my girl "stuff". I did purge my house of almost all of the clothes I had saved, but I saved the big stuff that costs the big bucks.

DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • well, if you're having a 2nd baby shower .. you may as well register for it .. if people want to spend the money, they will .. if not, they won't ..

image Visit The Nest!
    imageimage
  • If you *NEED* the essentials, then go buy them. It is kinda your job to provide the "ESSENTIALS" for your baby.

I think 2nd showers are tacky. I would have told mom no.  

• imagemommabear17:
    imageoneandbaby:

If you need these things, buy them.  A bottle warmer is hardly an "essential."  And who on earth do you expect to buy you these high dollar items at your shower for a second kid (which many people believe is tacky and gift grabby- the gift grabby certainly appears the case here) - even people who are okay with showers for a second kid tend to spend less.  Why don't you have these items from your first kid?

This!!

I also agree with the PP who said they wouldn't go to your shower.  VERY tacky to even have a 2nd shower & registering makes it a million times worse.  YOU are responsible to buy the items baby needs.  Showers are a gift, which occur for the 1st baby. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't see an issue registering for baby if you're having a second shower.  I've noticed that it's considered in bad taste to have a second or *gasp* a third shower, but I'm from the Caribbean and baby showers aren't just about buying gifts, it's about celebrating the wonderful gift of a new child.  So if a woman has 10 kids, each child is special and will receive a baby shower...that's just how we do it.  
  • I don't get why people on these boards are so touchy and really judgemental about additional showers/parties, whatever.  Different strokes for different folks. You are asking for opinions from people who don't really matter to you anyways, if you really cared what people think...ask some trusted family and/or friends.  Everyone here is from different walks of life/situations/areas.  People in my area won't bat an eye about registering and having multiple showers, but it might be the opposite in a different locale.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"