Babies: 3 - 6 Months

XP: questions from 3rd tri

Hi Ladies,
As part of my childbirth class, I'm supposed to talk to new mothers about their postpartum experience. Since I don't actually know any new mothers, I was hoping you all would be willing to answer a few questions for me. TIA!

What were you prepared for?
What did you NOT expect?
What challenged you physically?
What challenged you emotionally?
What challenged you mentally?
Was there anything else you could have done to better prepare yourself?
Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga

Re: XP: questions from 3rd tri

• imagekleMcK:

Hi Ladies,
    As part of my childbirth class, I'm supposed to talk to new mothers about their postpartum experience. Since I don't actually know any new mothers, I was hoping you all would be willing to answer a few questions for me. TIA!

What were you prepared for? Had most of the supplies u needed, including some newborn size stuff, which we used for a few weeks even though she was 8 lbs 4 oz at birth.
    What did you NOT expect? How much help I would want and need! Thank goodness for my parents and my friends setting up a meal train!
    What challenged you physically? Lack of sleep! :) I was lucky because my recovery was really easy.
    What challenged you emotionally? Being completely responsible for another human being. The CONSTANT worry about her getting enough to eat (we EBF), also since I was in labor for do long I was so exhausted I didn't get that rush of love and it actually took me some time to fall in love with her.
    What challenged you mentally? Just all the unknowns, was I doing the right thing?
    Was there anything else you could have done to better prepare yourself? Maybe read these boards!?
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• What were you prepared for? We had all of the "things" we needed.  I think we were also prepared mentally that there was going to be a change, though we couldn't fathom what it would feel like. 

What did you NOT expect?  I didn't expect to feel such a difference between DH and myself.  In my new role as a mother, especially as a breastfeeding one, I found a lot of inequality.  I also didn't expect the recovery I had (we had planned a home birth but got transferred and needed a c-section). 

What challenged you physically?  The lack of sleep, breastfeeding the first 3 weeks (it gets better!), and recovering from c-section.

What challenged you emotionally? The wave of emotions that come after the baby is born is intense.  My biggest emotional challenge was not being so reactive, especially since I was so tired and cranky all the time. Also, letting go of the birth experience I wanted was challenging.

What challenged you mentally?  There are a lot of decisions that need to be made from the second the baby is born.  I don't think most of us make so many important decisions until we have children.

Was there anything else you could have done to better prepare yourself? Honestly, nothing I can think of.  I read a lot of books (one book I recommend is Baby-Proofing Your Marriage which helped me to anticipate some of the changes we would go through as a couple), and talked to a lot of people before the baby.  I wasn't prepared.  I don't think many people are.... but that's okay!  Maybe part of blossoming into a new parent is finding yourself in a world of unknowns and being okay with it. :-)

Good Luck! :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • What were you prepared for? the pain, and actual birth...and yet I had a c-section
    What did you NOT expect? a c-section, the love!!
    What challenged you physically? I never dilated and he wouldn't nurse at first
    What challenged you emotionally? the fact my body wasn't working like it should have
    What challenged you mentally? making that decision to finally go for the c-section
    Was there anything else you could have done to better prepare yourself?I don't think anyone can be fully prepared for it. You really need to know going in that you don't have much control over most of the process. Also, trust your doctors. They have been through this many more times than you.

PS. I would have had to have a c-section even if I had dilated since LO had cord wrapped around him twice. So I guess it was a good thing I never dilated.

• What were you prepared for?

We had most of the "things" but other than that, very little. I had gone  on bedrest at 30 weeks and we'd had to move in with my parents due to renovations being done on the house. We didn't go home until 3 weeks after he arrived. Because of my being on bedrest, I didn't really get to do a lot of the things I had planned to do ahead of time.

What did you NOT expect?

That I would need a c-section; that I would not be able to breastfeed; how mentally and physically exhausting those first few weeks were.

What challenged you physically?

Recovering from c-section.

What challenged you emotionally?

Lack of sleep. Feeling helpless and not in control.

What challenged you mentally?

Same as above.

Was there anything else you could have done to better prepare yourself?

Not really. Starting at 30 weeks I lost all control (which was devastating for me and my type A personality). 

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SOrry...I didn't read the instructions completely :( and now it won't let me delete my post.

1. Had all the "stuff" we needed! 2. The love! and the emotion and frustration at first of not knowing what he needed. 3.Physically=Nursing, we had a really rough go of it at first. He had to get his tongue clipped and I had Renaud's phenomenon. FInally got there after 8 weeks. 4. Emotionally=hormones and much later relationship with hubby (too tired) 5. Mentally=I was on auto-pilot for a long time. 6. Read these posts. I feel like I was constantly, and still am, looking up so much online.

• imagekleMcK:

Hi Ladies,

What were you prepared for? 
    What did you NOT expect?  Having complications during our unplanned c-section (they cut my bladder during the operation)
    What challenged you physically?  Recovering from the c-section and the bladder issue. 
    What challenged you emotionally?  DD being sent to the nursery for jaundice. 
    What challenged you mentally? Not worrying about what I looked like during labor (i.e. nurses down in my business!).  Breastfeeding.
    Was there anything else you could have done to better prepare yourself?  not really, sometimes I think I read too much....too much information can be just as bad as not enough

Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
    Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
    Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
    DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"