Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Experienced Breastfeeding Mothers - HELP

I am a brand new FT mom, and my eleven day old daughter has so far been doing great with the breastfeeding - latch is good, and has already gained her birth weight back, etc.

But today, she was fussy and yet I knew she wasn't hungry. Thinking that maybe she was hitting a growth spurt or just hadn't had enough, I started feeding her. She was crying hard and didn't seem interested, but once she calmed down she did. About ten minutes or so afterwards though, she spit everything back up - and I mean everything! It was all over her and my husband. So clearly, I was right in the beginning, and she wasn't hungry, and just wanted to be soothed by my breast. But if she just wants me as a pacifier (which is fine, since I'm not going anywhere) but will actually EAT when she's not hungry, what am I going to do!? I can't keep having her puke it back up again. I thought babies were self regulating: so maybe I missed her cues and it's my fault? Plus, my nipples, which weren't all that sore, are getting more sore from her using me as a pacifier. 

Can I try using a regular pacifier if I'm sure she's not hungry - if she's crying right after a feeding for example, or something like that? I don't want to use a pacifier if she's actually hungry or miss any cues, and I'm totally freaking out - like I said, I'm a new mom and am just starting on learning her cues and what to do...

Re: Experienced Breastfeeding Mothers - HELP

• I've used a paci from day one with both my babies (DS is 5 days old) and never had a problem. It sounds like bfing is well established and you know her cues. I say give that baby a paci and your nips a rest!  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You can try a pacifier and if she spits it out (she probably will at the beginning as she wont be used to keeping it in her mouth) and freaks out she could be hungry. In my experience my DD only nurses for about 10 minutes and sometimes only 5 but she has also gotten alot more efficient at the whole BF thing. When she was your DD's age she nursed for about 20 minutes or so. Sometimes they just need to comfort suck so I say try the paci! She will let you know if its food she wants. And about learning her cues...it takes time! don't stress out you are doing great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Give the paci.  Initially we had to coax her to keep it in.  Now she will take it and keep it if she wants to suck, but if she hungry, she'll take it for a minute or two and then spit it back out.  I give it back to her and if she spits it out again, I offer the breast.  Like PP said, you will learn LO's cues.
    #1 BPF 4/10/2011 Born 12/9/2011
    #2 BFP 9/25/2014 EDD 6/10/2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I waited two weeks this time around vs a month with DD1 to use the paci. Make sure you get a good burp. When I don't get one I usually get a ton of spit up.
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told when LO was little, that if a baby is gassy they can mistake that pain for hunger pain, so that then they nurse and of course spit it all up.

You could try winding LO.

AS to your question, if BF is well-established you should be ok to introduce a paci. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• My LO has been using a paci since day two. it was my intention to hold off but one of the doctors at the hospital gave it to him it was my fault because I did not express my wishes...anywhos, he had no issues with nipple confusion as a result of it....

to respond to your spit up issue...DS has had what I believe to be 3 growth spurts so far..I have noticed a pattern, he wants to be at the breast non stop, which in return causes him to take in more milk then his body can handle and as a result he spits up...a lot. i take it as in order for my supply to to support what his body will need after growth spurt he has to be at the breast non stop..because the more he nurses, the more my body will call for milk...so your LO may in fact be having a growth spurt. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageAnnaBanana0327:
    I've used a paci from day one with both my babies (DS is 5 days old) and never had a problem. It sounds like bfing is well established and you know her cues. I say give that baby a paci and your nips a rest!  :)

This.

• get a nipple cream  to help the soreness
  • My guess is that your LO had a gas bubble and needed to be burped before starting to eat. When my LO was first born he was like that all the time.

But I also agree with PP's on introducing a paci - if you want to go ahead. I waited on the advice of LC's and now mine refuses a paci (maybe he would've to begin with, IDK). But I wish he would take a pacifier - like in the car or when I am not around.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"