Detroit Babies

Beaumont - Royal Oak

Has anyone delivered at Beaumont - Royal Oak? I am pregnant with my 3rd but have never had a baby in Michigan before (I'm from down south). 

My main question is do they let you walk around while you are in labor? I don't want to be confined to a bed the entire time I labor. My youngest is 12 so it's been quite a few years since I've done this and I read online that hospitals are starting to get strict about what women can and can't do while they are in labor.

I've never had a C-section and had my last completely naturally, no induction or anything. So can anyone tell me if they enjoyed their experience there? :) 

Thanks! 

Re: Beaumont - Royal Oak

• I was originally going to an OB through beaumont royal oak, until we had a discussion about birthing options.  At first he seemed on board with me going natural, but the longer we discussed it, the less and less I liked what I was hearing,  It is a good hospital, but their rate of sections is really high.  Of the women I know who delivered there none went natural and many were sectioned.  In fact, when my best friend tried going natural the nurses freaked out on her and talked her into an epi.

I'm delivering at Hutzel Women's Hospital in Detroit because of their Midwifery program and the nurses there are more familiar with natural, intervention free births.  I am not a fan of chemical induction, intervention, or c section unless absolutly medically necessary.  But that is just my opinion.  If I were comfortable with epi's, pitocin, and c-sections I would've stayed with my ob.

I don't know where you are in the metro detroit area, but I've heard excellent things about Henry Ford West Bloomfield and natural birth.  So that might be an option for you as well. good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you! Yes B-RO is so close to my home, as I live in Clawson. I heard good things from a guy at work whose wife delivered at HFBH. I'm just not sure about the drive. Geez I hope when I tell them I went natural last time they won't freak out lol. I am right there with you and am totally against chemical induction, pitocin, epis and sections. Fortunately I've never had a section and I had no problem laboring naturally when I wasn't being chemically induced (I was induced w/pitocin w/my 1st and HAD to have an epidural.). The second time... no problems. That was in North Carolina and they didn't mind that I wanted to go natural.

Thanks again! 

• Loading the player...
  • Another option for you which may be closer is the Alternative Birthing Center (ABC) in Southfield. Not AS close as Beaumont, but still not horrible.

I'm sure it is possible to have med free birth at RO Beaumont, I've just never met anyone who has done it. That's not totally saying a lot though, since most people I know who were super passionate about going natural went to the ABC or HFWB.  I think as long as you are in bed for monitoring every once in a while that they will let you walk around at Beaumont, but don't quote me on that one. I'm not positive.

• I delivered at RO Beaumont in 2009.  I was given a wireless monitor so I could get up and walk around, go to the bathroom, etc.  It was really nice, not to be confined.

My doctors (Somerset OB/GYN) were supportive of what I wanted.  After 9 hours of labor and 3 more hours of pushing, they still let me do it on my own.  They didn't push me into anything.  They offered help via, forcepts, etc, but when I said no, they agreed and let me keep trying.  I eventually delivered him on my own without any assistance or a section.  Very happy with the whole experience.  Dr. Weiermiller delivered my son, but the whole practice is great.  I think the rate of section and pressure is a result of your doctor, not the hospital itself.  Another thing my doctors do which I love, is that they won't schedule you to be induced unless there is a medical reason for it.  I know tons of girls who go to practices that will induce the week before the due date just because and that just seems wrong to me. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered at Beaumont RO, and granted I had to have a c-section, my baby was breech, and was not moving, my Dr. was very into letting me go natural, and we were even going to try to flip him, but I didn't have a good enough amount of fluid to where she felt comfortable flipping him, also I had pre-term labor issues.

The nursers there and my experience was wonderful, and I will go back for my next child.

Every Saturday they have a tour, you can take one and ask as many questions as you like to see if you feel comfortable delivering there.... 

• Wow thank you all for the advice and history! I really think I'm going to stick with B-RO because it is so close to home. I will just be picky about my doctor. Right now I go to a clinic at the hospital because I don't have health insurance yet. My health insurance will kick in in March and then I will choose a permanent doctor. I have been to Generations OBGYN in the past but never had anything more than a pap smear there. A friend of mine says her sister in law swears by them. Thanks again!

• imageKBabySmiles:

Another option for you which may be closer is the Alternative Birthing Center (ABC) in Southfield. Not AS close as Beaumont, but still not horrible.

I'm sure it is possible to have med free birth at RO Beaumont, I've just never met anyone who has done it. That's not totally saying a lot though, since most people I know who were super passionate about going natural went to the ABC or HFWB.  I think as long as you are in bed for monitoring every once in a while that they will let you walk around at Beaumont, but don't quote me on that one. I'm not positive.

That's why I chose HFWB over Royal Oak Beaumont :P 

dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagejenner77:

Wow thank you all for the advice and history! I really think I'm going to stick with B-RO because it is so close to home. I will just be picky about my doctor. Right now I go to a clinic at the hospital because I don't have health insurance yet. My health insurance will kick in in March and then I will choose a permanent doctor. I have been to Generations OBGYN in the past but never had anything more than a pap smear there. A friend of mine says her sister in law swears by them. Thanks again!

I've been going to Generations for years and love them!  I delivered my DS in RO Beaumont and had a great experience.

ETA: I went completely natural - no epi, no induction.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've delivered both my kids at RO Beaumont and had great experiences both times. I have also volunteered with Beaumont's parenting program and know many women who have delivered "naturally." You can't really judge a hospital on C-S rates...it really has more to do with the doctors, and the growing trend of women requesting them.

• I delivered out of B-RO as well. I had a great experience.

I also go to Generations have for about 15 years (yikes). Anyway, the Dr's are awesome. Every single one of them. I felt they were pro "whatever I wanted." The birthing class they offer focused a lot on having a natural birth,though the Dr's never tried to sway me either way. I did end up having an epidural because I wanted one, not because the Dr. or nurse pushed me into it. They constantly asked me how I felt and if I was comfortable, that is it.  Best wishes.

• I delivered out of Beaumont Royal Oak and have nothing but good things to say.  All the nurses were amazing and Dr. Gruskin delivered my son via an unplanned C-section.  I will defintely be delivering out of Beaum RO again in the future.  I also was under the care of Dr. Shoha and Seubert.  All were great!

=)

• imagesillybilly11:

I delivered out of Beaumont Royal Oak and have nothing but good things to say.  All the nurses were amazing and Dr. Gruskin delivered my son via an unplanned C-section.  I will defintely be delivering out of Beaum RO again in the future.  I also was under the care of Dr. Shoha and Seubert.  All were great!

=)

Dr. Gruskin did my surgery when I had my Ectopic last October she was really great, and again, another great experience at Beaumont, it was a really bad situation, but they were great and treated me well. 

• imagejenner77:

Wow thank you all for the advice and history! I really think I'm going to stick with B-RO because it is so close to home. I will just be picky about my doctor. Right now I go to a clinic at the hospital because I don't have health insurance yet. My health insurance will kick in in March and then I will choose a permanent doctor. I have been to Generations OBGYN in the past but never had anything more than a pap smear there. A friend of mine says her sister in law swears by them. Thanks again!

I delivered at B-RO and it was a wonderful experience. Yes I had to have a c-section (baby was too large), but everyone there was warm and helpful.

Good Luck :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"