3rd Trimester

I'm giving birth to a toddler.....

I just came from my appointment after my growth u/s.  Baby is estimated to be 8 lbs. 14 oz.  w/ a 1 pound margin of error and I still have almost 3 weeks until my EDD.  My MW said it's not a reason to deliver me.  I was hoping for at least a membrane sweep... but I'm not even dilated or effaced.  She is not willing to induce until I'm overdue, but is hopeful I'll not make it to next weeks appointment because I'll go into labor.

I gave away all my newborn size clothes to my friend with a preemie because he will for sure be able to wear them. I'm getting so nervous about having a big baby.  I want a waterbirth, I still want to try to go natural... but my vajayjay is frightened! I keep telling myself to think positive, and visualize a smooth delivery.  I would love some positive large baby birth stories or encouragement.  Thanks Bumpies!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm giving birth to a toddler.....

• That's so funny! My DS2 was 9 lb 8 oz and the pedi came in the next day and said "here's your toddler!". LOL. He was, however, by far, easier to birth than DS1 who aw 6lb 14 oz. good Luck!
  • Yeah, I'm in a similar boat but at least my ob is willing to induce at 39 weeks.  My DD was big too. 

I talked to my grandmother last night.  She said one of my aunts was nearly 12 lbs. And yes, she gave birth vaginally.   Surprise

• Loading the player...
  • my brother was 12 lbs and was delivered vaginally. I'm a FTM with a big headed baby (97th% tile), so my vajajay is just as scared as yours!! Remember, we were designed to do this! The more relaxed you stay, the easier the labor will be; just stay focused and trust yourself.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
  • My brother was 12 lbs 10 oz when he was born.  My mother gave birth to him naturally.

You can do it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My friend's son was 12 lbs 14 oz and she delivered him naturally AND without any drugs in a total of 4 hours!! (OMG!!! LOL) So if she can do it, anyone can! ;-)
  • Both my sisters gave birth to 10lb babies and my mom gave birth to my 12lb 8oz brother, all vaginally.  You can do this!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Georgia 3/15/2012 Matilda 6/12/2014 TWINS!! Babies 3&4 EDD 11/22/2016
  • I have heard these weight estimates are often very wrong. That's probably why your MW doesn't want to deliver. Even if the baby is that big, it doesn't necessarily mean the organs are matured enough.
  • With DS1 they estimated him weighing 7 lbs 3 oz at 34 weeks.  He was born at 36 weeks weighing 9 lbs 2 oz.  I did end up having a c-section because they induced me early due to high BP and he was just not ready to come out.  Even weighing that much, he still wore newborn size clothing for about a month because he was so short.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • This is insane! I was induced with our first daughter at 37 weeks because at 37 weeks she was already 7 lbs some odd ounces and I had toxemia. With this pregnancy our daughter is already measuring 4 weeks ahead :/ I hate that you would have to wait till you are overdue to be induced. It is something you should decide, not your MW. I mean, she can give her professional opinion, but it's your body, your baby and your baby is full term. But good luck to you! It looks as if 2012 will consist of really big babies! YAY!
  • I would keep a few of the newborn size.  We didn't have any because we knew we were having a big baby.  At 9lbs 1 oz and 22 inches, he fit easily in newborn clothes, and the 0-3 month stuff was really big on him. 
  • My Dh was a 10lb baby and as much of a pain my MIL is, i respect her for doing it naturally and without any problems.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I wouldn't stress it - I don't know a single woman whose estimate was even close to the weight of their baby at birth. I know so many women that were scared to death of delivering 12 pound giants and ended up giving birth to a normal 7 lb. baby. Hang in there! Either way, it'll be okay!
  • Ditto PP's, it seems like those estimates seem to be off more than they are on target. All of my friends or family members who were supposedly having "huge" babies gave birth to very average sized infants, and my 7 pound estimate ended up being 9+ pounds.

Also, I don't know if I would have gotten rid of all the newborn stuff. I assumed I didn't need nb clothes since my daughter was so big and tried just putting her in 0-3 from the get-go. Big mistake. I ended up making a trip to BRU in that first week to buy newborn clothes (she wore nb for a full month).

• We thought that our daughter was going to be 9 or 10 pounds at birth.  She was born a day after her due date and only weighed 7 pounds.  A little off from what hte ultrasound tech thought.  Since we thought that we were having a bigger baby, we did not buy a lot of newborn clothes. Needless to say, my husband has to run to the store to buy newborn clothes. SHe is now a month old and still floating in some of the newborn clothes. 

Best of luck with your delivery!  

• I'm just visiting over from 2nd tri, only 24 weeks. But I just wanted to say, that my friend had the same thing happen to her 2.5 weeks before her due date, actually the same size prediciton. They said her baby girl was already 8lbs 14 ounces, that she would most likely be 11 lbs at birth. She almost had a c-section just because of the size but decided to wait. She went into labor naturally 3 days after her due date and her baby was 8lbs 11 ounces. Our other friend was due 2 months later, and was also told her baby was going to be really big. Her baby was born on her due date at 7lbs 11 ounces. They are wrong a lot of the time! :)
  • Also I was an 11 lb baby, my mom was very petite, 5'7 117lbs, gave birth to me naturally after a 6 hour labor and didnt tear. I was her 3rd baby but still. Amazing! Your body is capable of amazing things, don't doubt yourself!
  • imagejayleigh68:
    I have heard these weight estimates are often very wrong. That's probably why your MW doesn't want to deliver. Even if the baby is that big, it doesn't necessarily mean the organs are matured enough.

This.

I was HUGE and kept asking if it was normal.  I was told DD1 (before I had her) was average by every MW and doc I saw except one (he told me she would be at least 8-8.5 and she was 9). One of my closest friends was very high risk and had high def u/s all the time.  They had the preemie unit in the OR (she had to have a cs) and he was over 7lbs-they were off by more than 2lbs.  It's a crap shoot!

photo b56c04be-4eeb-442e-afb5-397708ea1118.jpg

• imagebdgallagher:
    I wouldn't stress it - I don't know a single woman whose estimate was even close to the weight of their baby at birth. I know so many women that were scared to death of delivering 12 pound giants and ended up giving birth to a normal 7 lb. baby. Hang in there! Either way, it'll be okay!

This!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I just gave birth to a 9 pound 9 ounce baby. I needed an episiotomy and forceps. Yes, our bodies are designed for this but sometimes the baby can be too big. Just be prepared for the possibility of needing interventions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Position is so much more important than size.  And say you do have a 10lbs baby, but their head is in the 25th percentile.  Have you been on spinning babies? https://spinningbabies.com/  My daughter was 8lbs 12oz at 39 weeks and this time I plan on letting this baby come when he's ready even if that means he's 2 weeks late and 12lbs (although I hope that's not the case).  I have been doing the spinning babies exercise so he will hopefully be in the right position with his chin tucked and let my body take care of the rest :)

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• imagetamimiller60:
    This is insane! I was induced with our first daughter at 37 weeks because at 37 weeks she was already 7 lbs some odd ounces and I had toxemia. With this pregnancy our daughter is already measuring 4 weeks ahead :/ I hate that you would have to wait till you are overdue to be induced. It is something you should decide, not your MW. I mean, she can give her professional opinion, but it's your body, your baby and your baby is full term. But good luck to you! It looks as if 2012 will consist of really big babies! YAY!

This is uneducated and unhelpful to the OP.  She is looking for support to deliver her baby when it's ready.  You are very lucky at 37 weeks your daughter didn't spend any time in the NICU. Also, it usually works the other way around.  You can refuse a procedure because it's your body and your baby, but typically you can't demand a csection or induction against your medical professionals advice.  You would need to find another medical professional who will go along with your wishes.  37 weeks is REALLY early to be demanding induction or csection without any other medical reason than a baby measuring big by u/s.

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• Thanks so much ladies for your stories and encouragement!  I'm definitly feeling more confident. And I'm also psyched about trying spinning babies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"