Special Needs

Progestimil formula... failure to thrive and GERD

Progestimil formula... failure to thrive and GERD...anyone in the same boat?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Progestimil formula... failure to thrive and GERD

• My son was diagnosed with ftt, gerd, ee and food allergies. We never used progestimil but have been using Elecare for over 3 years!
    Katherine Proud Mommy and Foster Mommy
  • Not sure exactly what your question is but DS had GERD and was using pregestimil. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We were in the same boat.  Just a note - Progestimil is milk based.  Our nutritionist DID NOT KNOW THAT.  Our LO has a milk allergy, which wasn't discovered until he was 7 months old (internal reaction, not external).  Ask to switch to an elemental formula like Elecare or Neocate and see what happens.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Emergency ileostomy 11/28/10, CF dx on 12/3/10 and ileostomy takedown 1/24/11, feeding tube placed 7/1/11...still going strong! Little one lost 5w5d, 5/27/2012. CP 8/26/2012
  • imageHappy2bNappy:
    Not sure exactly what your question is but DS had GERD and was using pregestimil. 

I guess that I dont have a question per se just looking for others that may be going through what I am...just looking for support, ideas, suggestions and since I normally just lurk...I figured the only way to find other people would be to stop lurking and just ask....long story short...no question just trying to jump on board...I also have a 2 year old with speech apraxia and sensory integration issues...oh and my little guy with ftt and gerd was just diagnosed with developmental global delay today 9/24/11...I am just an overwhelmed mom with so much on my mind I am rambling and have nowhere to vent...(everything is WAY over my husbands head) If anyone has questions for me or answers I would love to join this board!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelvnbraves:
    We were in the same boat.  Just a note - Progestimil is milk based.  Our nutritionist DID NOT KNOW THAT.  Our LO has a milk allergy, which wasn't discovered until he was 7 months old (internal reaction, not external).  Ask to switch to an elemental formula like Elecare or Neocate and see what happens.

How did you find out about the milk allergy? Was it causing the reflux?  

• imagelvnbraves:
    We were in the same boat.  Just a note - Progestimil is milk based.  Our nutritionist DID NOT KNOW THAT.  Our LO has a milk allergy, which wasn't discovered until he was 7 months old (internal reaction, not external).  Ask to switch to an elemental formula like Elecare or Neocate and see what happens.

• imagelvnbraves:

• okay, welcome to the board. DS was a 32 wk preemie had reflux (GERD) with apnea. The Pregestimil helped a lot with his spit ups and apnea episodes. He has gotten over the reflux and its issues. He also has bilateral sensoneural hearing loss and wears hearing aids.

• We found out about the milk allergy when he had his feeding tube placed.  The surgeon noticed that this esophagus was inflammed, so he took some biopsies.  LO has Eosinophilic Esophagitus, which is an internal allergic reaction - we had NO idea. 

Alimentum also has casein which is a milk based protein, so it's easier on LO, but in the case of an allergy, it isn't enough.

He also has CF, which often causes reflux, so we haven't been able to eliminate the reflux, but it has gotten better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Emergency ileostomy 11/28/10, CF dx on 12/3/10 and ileostomy takedown 1/24/11, feeding tube placed 7/1/11...still going strong! Little one lost 5w5d, 5/27/2012. CP 8/26/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"