December 2010 Moms

the pacifier -- dun dun dun!

how many of you have weaned baby off the pacifier? i'm scared to, but obviously, she's passed a year old and i think it's time. what do you think? what were your experiences?

-Glo

First Surro Journey:

BabyFetus Ticker

Proud Mommy to:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: the pacifier -- dun dun dun!

• I guess we've had a really easy time of weaning off bottles and pacifiers. In August, my ILs were watching him. He was sitting on the floor, sucking his paci. They turned their back for a second and my MIL heard him cough. When she looked back, the WHOLE paci was in his mouth except the little handle. Since then, we haven't given one to him at all, and he used to use it to fall asleep. Now he sucks his thumb instead, which we can deal with later.

I hope it goes well for you! I really don't have any advice to offer, except every time we have cut something cold-turkey from him, he's adapted and been fine. You'll probably have to deal with some tears, but if she uses it when she's playing, you can redirect. If she uses it to fall asleep, I think it'll just take time for her to get tired enough to sleep without it.

Good luck!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Since about 3 months we have not used it while he is awake, it's always only been a bedtime/naptime thing.  As long as it stays a bedtime thing we will let him have it at least for the next few months.  Depending on where he is when new baby gets here we are thinking of telling him that pacifiers are for babies and he needs to give his to new baby since he's a big boy now.  But I don't know if he'll be there at 18months, we'll see.  If not, and as long as it stays a bedtime thing, I'm ok with it until he moves to his toddler bed.

image   image

• Loading the player...
  • She's still on the paci and, to be honest, I don't really care. MH and I were both huge paci addicts and eventually gave them up. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• We just switched him off the bottles a few days ago for his milk and he's freakin pissed about it! I'm going to wait until he adjusts to that first before taking his paci too. I can see that he's way more attached to both than my DD ever was so I'm eager to get the removals done now because I think his attachment will only grow stronger.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We got "lucky" both our boys took themselves off the pacifier.

DS#1 was much older than LO, LO stopped taking it at like 5months, which makes self soothing harder, but we just find other things to help him self soothe

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers We're Finally Three

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Cassie has read 1 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • DD pretty much only takes them during naps and bedtime. I am ok with this and do not care if it lasts a few more months. She is off bottles, and as long as she does not have a paci while awake, we are ok with that.
  • reese only has 1 fussy left & it's in her crib. she used to have like 3/4 in there! 

as long as its only for bedtime im okay for now! we're working on losing the bottle first! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DC lost his last one around 7 months so we just sort of tried without it and it worked!  My pedi said there could be therapeutic benefit to the child up until 2 years so we were okay with it, but were more than happy to try without it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is a paci addict but we are now limiting him to them in the car and the crib. (He has to have 3--1 in his mouth and 1 in each hand LOL.) It's not easy sometimes when I know I could settle him down faster with a paci but I don't want him older and talking with one in his mouth.
    Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • We used to only give them to him at naptime and bedtime, but now he wants it a lot more often.  I fear he's addicted!  I'm not too worried about it though.  Not yet, anyway.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I am so dreading this...DS needs his paci to go to sleep 99% of the time. Sometimes he'll nap in the car without it, but in his crib, he needs it. If he wakes up in the middle of the night and can't find it, we'll usually go in and get it for him (this happens maybe a few times a month). Not sure what to do...

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Noelani only uses them for naptime/bedtime. We just took away the bedtime bottle and she adapted so well. I just think she has a stronger connection to the pacifier. I could be wrong...but probably not. lol

We have a dr. appt on Friday (a whole month after her 1st birthday! bad conflicts in dec) - i'll ask the dr. what he thinks about it. i like your ladies' approach for naptime bedtime!

-Glo

First Surro Journey:

BabyFetus Ticker

Proud Mommy to:

• DS actually never took one. I tried!

Now he just chews on them if he comes across one.

My sister did the whole "paci fairy" thing when my niece was like 3 to get her off of it.

• we are still working on weaning from nursing. :/
  • When Griff was about 2 or 3 months he stopped taking the paci on his own.  At first I was bummed but now I'm glad I don't have to deal with that habit.
  • imagebosha711:

My sister did the whole "paci fairy" thing when my niece was like 3 to get her off of it.

I think this is a good idea for little ones that are a bit older and I'd probably do it if we had the issue (DS never took a paci, either). We have friends that had a hard time breaking their 2-year-old's paci habit and did this. But now she has a teddy bear that absolutely cannot go MIA, lol.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took it away during the day and he started sucking his thumb instead.  Confused  Sooo, I gave it back.  He doesn't get it at daycare though (except for nap), which is a good portion of the day anyhow.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We still use it for naps and bedtime and rough moments in the car.  She used to get it whenever during the day but we noticed she really wasn't "talking" with it in. We made an effort to ask her for it when we got her up, she'd hand it over and we put it back in the crib.

I'll let her have it for a bit longer because we need her off bottles first and no way in hell am I fighting both those battles at once!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"