Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Brushing Teeth

What do you guys use?  Wash cloth, actual toothbrush?

And when do you guys use it? In the tub, after the last feeding?

I would love to brush C's teeth with a real toothbrush in the tub, but she still nurses right before bed.  She's really fighting the washcloth, and I'm afraid that I'm not doing enough cleaning for her dental hygiene!

TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Brushing Teeth

• we try to brush/get LO to brush his teeth any way possible. Usually we hog tie and or wrestle him to the ground, sometimes we beg and pled with him in the tub. Very rarely he'll brush if we brush with him, but that hardly works.

We've tried motorized toothbrush, toddler tooth brush and adult tooth brush because he wanted to use daddy's. Just opened one that looked the same. He used it once.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • We use the infant toothpaste that has no flouride and is safe to swallow and a toddler toothbrush. She just chewed on the silicone finger thing that came with the toothpaste so there was no real brushing.

We brush her teeth for as long as she'll let us and then she sits and chews on the brush for a while. I want her to like doing it and feel like even if she's not actually brushing, the chewing cleans a little.

ETA: We brush after her bath.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use a toothbrush and the hog-tie/wrestling method mentioned above after baths.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

The Nest/Bump sucks and won't let me change my location. I'm in Arkansas, not Florida.
  • It's such a pita in our house and is a two person job because my husband holds an Elmo hand puppet and we let Aiden brush Elmo's "teeth" and that distracts and motivates him enough to let me brush his.  I know we don't do a very good job though because he fights it so hard.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Use brush after bath w/ non-flouride toothpaste.

I brush his teeth while counting to 5 (very slowly) - which was recommended by someone on here, so that he knows when I am done and it is his turn.  It's really helped him sit still while I do it.

Then he brushes / chews on it for a few minutes.  And now he's started counting too when he's brushing...so cute.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Right now I use the little finger toothbrush.  He only has 4 teeth right now, but after his bedtime bottle I just do a quick swipe around his gums and on his 4 teeth.  Once he starts getting more teeth we'll switch to a battery powered toothbrush like DD has.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We used to brush after his nighttime sippy and then read a book and put him down.  He just dropped the sippy last week so now we just brush before reading with a tooth brush and the training toothpaste someone  mentioned earlier.  Some nights go better than others but if he's being difficult or won't open his mouth I pretend to brush mine and then he'll let me do his again.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we also use the toddler brush with toddler tooth paste. dd loves the taste... so much so that she sucks all of the tooth paste off the brush almost immediately then bites down on the brush.

my hubby and i ask her to say "aaahhh" and demonstrate for her = which allows us to get about 4 good brushes in. then we put her down for the night. she doesn't take a bath every night- she takes one every other night. but we attempt the brushing every night.

-Glo

First Surro Journey:

BabyFetus Ticker

Proud Mommy to:

• I use the silicone brush and I brush her teeth right after her last feeding before bed.  She's very good at getting her teeth brush.

I then give her the floride which she loves since it's grape.

• Thanks guys! I'll try out some of this stuff... I secretly feel relieved that it doesn't seem to be very easy for anyone!
  • Gideon is obsessed with his toothbrush, so I don't have to fight to get him to use it. He just prefers to do it himself, and he's not coordinated enough to do the brushing motion and gets snippy with me when I make his hand move back and forth. (He is very stubborn.) After fighting for real brushing for at least 5 seconds top and bottom, I let him chew away.
    imageimage 
    TTC #2: My chart
  • imageelmoali:
    It's such a pita in our house and is a two person job because my husband holds an Elmo hand puppet and we let Aiden brush Elmo's "teeth" and that distracts and motivates him enough to let me brush his.  I know we don't do a very good job though because he fights it so hard.

Hahah, I definitely can relate to this two-man job approach. My husband will be delighted to hear that other men are prancing around singing the Elmo's World theme song with Elmo puppets semi-permanently attached to their hands...

• imagekelbel527:

Use brush after bath w/ non-flouride toothpaste.

I brush his teeth while counting to 5 (very slowly) - which was recommended by someone on here, so that he knows when I am done and it is his turn.  It's really helped him sit still while I do it.

Then he brushes / chews on it for a few minutes.  And now he's started counting too when he's brushing...so cute.

Soooo looking forward to this!

• imagesawyerthedestroyer:
    We use a toothbrush and the hog-tie/wrestling method mentioned above after baths.

Same here.  He tucks his top lip under his front teeth so I can't brush them.  I have to wrap my arm around his head so he can't move and then use my index finger to pull his lip up.  It is great fun for both of us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • We brush after his evening bottle (which comes after a bath on bath nights). C is luckily pretty calm about it most nights, but I think it's good karma we've earned from the fights we have over clipping his nails. Wink He has an Oral B toddler toothbrush, I just wet it and do my best to do some scrubbing; he'll sometimes grab it to chew on or play with as well. We've tried Colgate toddler toothbrush and he hates it, so must experiment a bit more with that...

ETA: when he's fighting it, I'll sometimes let him play with his toothbrush while I grab mine and brush my own teeth. It gets his attention and he tries to mimic.

• We use the toddler toothbrush and non-flouride toothpaste.  DS loves the toothpaste, too, like a PP mentioned.  His bedtime routine is that he gets his last diaper change, gets into his pj's, then we go brush his teeth while we say "with some on top and some beneath, they brush and brush and brush their teeth" on our way down the hallway (a line from Sandra Boynton's The Going to Bed Book), then he gets to pick out his 5 books for us to read to him before he goes in his crib.

We sit him on the counter right next to the sink.  He likes to fill up his cup with water himself, and run the toothbrush under the water himself, too.  Then he likes to watch in the mirror while we brush his teeth for him, and then we let him have his turn to brush.  Then he gets a drink of water and we're done! 

"One healthy, little giggling, dribbling, baby boy." -DMB Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I use a toddler toothbrush with baby orajel toothpaste. I brush what I can and then let him do it for a bit. We always do it right before bed so the only thing he gets after brushing is water. My kid is a big snacker so after baths he'd still eat a little bit and it would ruin the point of brushing.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We have the finger brush and a toddler toothbrush.  I feel like we have better coverage/success with the finger brush but she's getting a little crazy with the biting lately.  She loves having her teeth brushed and prefers to do it herself using the toddler tooth brush.  I give it to her pretty much any time we're in my bathroom (I just wet it, don't put any toothpaste on it).  We use toothpaste when we do it for her.

I'm terrible at remembering to brush her teeth before bed, but when I do remember, we do it when we're getting her jammies on.

• We use a toddler toothbrush/toddler toothpaste during her bath.  I brush my teeth at the same time so that she can watch me, and she tries to imitate what I'm doing.
  • He has a step stool in front of the sink. He stands on it and looks in the mirror to brush. I stand behind him and brush his teeth, then he takes the toothbrush and "finishes" brushing them himself.

• I use a toddler toothbrush and toddler fruity flavored toothpaste. We used to have to fight him tooth and nail until I started singing a little song that I made up to the tune of "Row row row your boat" about brushing teeth. I sing it twice and then we're done.

ETA: I brush his teeth after his bath.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I brush her teeth and sing "brusha brusha brusha" from Grease. The I say your turn and she takes the tooth brush and tries.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I use a spin brush.  DD loves it!  I brush her teeth first to make sure they actually get cleaned, then I give the brush to her to do it herself. 
  • We use an infant toothbrush just with water (pedi recommendation). She's prettly good about it now, We do bath, bottle, brush teeth, bed. After the bottle we go back in the bathroom and she has the routine down: bottoms first, then tops. She'll only tolerate it for a few seconds as a time, but it's enough. I'll let her play with the toothbrush too to get the hang of it. Tonight she was "brushing" her own teeth!
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We used to use one on those silicone finger toothbrushes, but recently changed to the infant ones with the toothpaste made for infants.  We do it right before bed. It's hard and they do still fight it.  After we do it, we let them take the toothbrush and brush their own teeth.  They mostly suck on the toothbrush and move it back and forth.  Just trying to get them in the habit of doing it.  We hope to do it twice a day starting soon.. we probably already should be doing twice a day. :-x

GL!

It's seems my LOs fight it all.... diaper changes, toothbrushing, wiping of their hands and face after eating, wiping of their nose when they have colds, etc... there's always a battle ;-)

• we allow her to play with her kiddie toothbrush with infant toothpaste while we brush our teeth. We then try to brush her teeth. we try to wrestle her down because it really is a struggle. if we're not contented with what we did, we use a wash cloth :) she responds to that at least

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"