Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

when you were pregnant, what'd dr say about weight?

When I was pregnant with LO I gained over 60 pounds. Dr's never said a single thing to me....

My friend's sister just had a baby and when she was at her 35 pound mark, they told her her better cool it. (she was almost done with her pregnancy)

...well, I've gained about 35 pounds already and worried that dr will tell me to chill out.

Did your doctor let you be or warn against weight gain? Does mother's weight gain increase chance of GD?

Re: when you were pregnant, what'd dr say about weight?

• My doctor didn't say anything to me.  I was underweight when I got pregnant so I was told to gain 35-40lbs and I gained exactly 40.  Gaining too much weight can increase your risk of GD. 
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• My doctor never said anything to me. At 9months, I was up 40lbs.
  • Loading the player...
  • I gained 60 lbs with DS also and not one of the 7 doctors ever said a word to me about it. It did all come off though, luckily. Of course it's starting to creep back up again this time. I'm hoping I don't gain quite as much, but won't stress about it since it did come off with DS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • One of the main reasons I hated my doctor was because she was ALWAYS on me about weight gain.  I gained a total of 35-40lbs when I was pregnant and she was constantly telling me I was putting on too much weight.  I think I left every single doctors appointment crying because I felt like a fatass.  She even told me to diet (told me to do South Beach Phase 2).

ETA:  The doctor was fatter than me which always made me fell like she had no room to talk.  Especially since she got pregnant at the end of my pregnancy and was gaining a shitton of weight.

• My doctor never said anything about my weight, but I only gained 19 lbs (most of that due to me having GD and having to go on the GD diet).

I do think there is a correlation with weight and GD, but I don't know if causation's been established (i.e. if you gain a lot of weight you are more susceptible to GD).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am 5'7" and 123lbs and they told me to watch my weight.  I gained 17lbs and was at risk for GD.  Whole thing was a total load of crap.  Do whatever makes you feel good.

• I gained 62 with R.  At one point my doc said my weight gain was "plenty" but she was not concerned at all. I was pretty small to begin with. 62 is a lot and I was not even close to having GD.

With baby girl, so far I think I've gained about 30-35.  Doc is totally fine with it and hasn't said a thing just that my weight gain is good.

• My doctor said to gain between 25 and 35lbs. I was at a healthy weight. I gained 27lbs. 
  • My doctor didn't say anything, I gained 60lbs. It can increase your risk of GD.
  • 1st pregnancy I gained 47lb and they gave me *** the whole time. 

2nd pregnancy I gained 27 and they said perfect the whole time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor never said anything about my total gain (29 lbs) but did caution me a little about the rate that I gained.  There were a few consecutive weeks in late 2nd/early 3rd tri that I gained 3-4 lbs per week. I was underweight to begin with and had horrible morning sickness throughout my pregnancy, so I think my body was playing catch-up for awhile. 
  • My dr told me 20-25lbs.  I gain 20lbs.  I tried not to gain too much (more to lose later). 
  • imageKaylaO1024:

One of the main reasons I hated my doctor was because she was ALWAYS on me about weight gain.  I gained a total of 35-40lbs when I was pregnant and she was constantly telling me I was putting on too much weight.  I think I left every single doctors appointment crying because I felt like a fatass.  She even told me to diet (told me to do South Beach Phase 2).

i think we have the same doctor!  i still gained 50 lbs.  at my first appt this pregnancy i've already been told to limit carbs and sodium (to be fair, i did get pre-eclampsia at the end.)  when i asked her the first time why she was always on me about it, she said she didn't want to have to do a c-section (which we ended up having to do anyway.)  maybe it's just because i'm 5'0 with a small frame that she didn't want to have to do one.  i left several appts in tears also.  in the end i did end up going on a diet and i was still putting on weight.  it was really stressful and i was pretty bitter.  this time i'm trying to do better just because of the pre-eclampsia.  i had really swollen legs and feet the whole time, and if i can avoid that, i'd like to. 

• They told me that the average weight gain was between 35-40 pounds so each week I should be averaging about 1 pound, although some weeks could be more and some less, but just to keep that in mind.

I ended up only gaining 20 pounds, but I did lose 5 pounds my last week of pregnancy and I had my son 5.5 weeks early.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My Doc just encouraged healthy snacks and politely told me to lay off the ice cream.  But, my overall gain was 40lbs, and they never seemed real concerned.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageargonne:

My doctor never said anything about my weight, but I only gained 19 lbs (most of that due to me having GD and having to go on the GD diet).

I do think there is a correlation with weight and GD, but I don't know if causation's been established (i.e. if you gain a lot of weight you are more susceptible to GD).

what does a GD diet consist of?

• My MFM wanted me to gain more, my OB said the babies would take what they needed and thought the excess weight gain guidelines for twins was crazy. 

That's about it

• My MW gave me some grief about my weight gain. I ended up gaining close to 70 lbs. I was eating healthily, but she didn't seem to believe that. Then at the end she told me she had gained 60 with her own pregnancy...wtf? I didn't have GD ore pre-e.

I'm only 10 lb over my pre-preg weight now. I was closer to my pre-preg weight, but I've put on some stress pounds the last few months.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My Dr. never said anything to me about my weight. The only time we ever talked about it was at my first appointment when he was going over everything and about what I should expect to gain and about eating healthy.
  • Depending on which doctor in the practice I saw, I would get comments on my weight gain if it was too much in the time since my last visit (46lb total). I got the same comments after DS was born & how I wasn't losing the weight fast enough! I would definitely say if we have another I will not be as careless with my eating and sedentary lifestyle to avoid the conversation.

• I didn't get any direct comments. He advised me at the beginning what they like to see, but also said they take an individual approach basedon how the woman's body seems to be handling the pregnancy. For all three pregnancies (2 losses) I put on 15lbs in the first trimester (even with m/s and near hyperemesis, fun times). With C I ended up with a total gain of 50-ish pounds, but it was largely water weight, I was clearly very swollen in legs and hands, and the weight was all gone 2mos after delivery. The only issue was when I went over 200lbs, they used the wrong/smaller blood pressure cuff, so there was a panic about high blood pressure for 2wks until they realized that they needed the larger cuff. My understanding is weight gain (or being overweight when pregnancy starts) can be an indicator for GD, but it's not a guarantee. They take the urine samples at every visit to check for sugar in the urine (a sign of GD), whether you're gaining a lot of weight or not. And C was a normal weight at 7lb 12oz despite my weight gain, so it's also not a guarantee for a large baby.
  • imageheckysue:
    imageashleysyn2:

Since I was in a healthy weight range when I got KU I was expected to gain 25-35lbs.  During my first trimester I lost about 5 though.  During the second and third tris I did a lot of catching up and my Dr. did caution me about gaining weight too quickly.  She gave me a little warning and reminded me about what foods to stay away from at every appointment, but I didn't mind because I needed the reminder.  I think I ended up gaining about 30lbs.

I thought it was fair that she continued to remind me even though I was still in a healthy range.  I think it's a doctor's reponsibility to be proactive like that rather than reactive when a woman has gained too much weight.

ITA.

I will say that I gained almost 10 lbs in my first tri.  I had almost no MS, but major food aversions and was exhausted.  So the only foods I could stomach were pretty much empty carbs, and I didn't get back to being active until second tri.  So I had a slow, healthy weight gain after that but I didn't lose/make up for that first 10 lbs.

hecky, this is part of why I had too much weight gain. I had the exact same 1st tri experience. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I was underweight and told to gain 35-40. I gained exactly 35.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I gained 35 and my doctor said nothing. Im still holding onto an extra 15 though :(
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • I was heavy when I got pregnant (both times).  I'm 5'9" and weigh 240.  During my preconception appointment (with LO#1, this one was a surprise) I was told that I would want to keep my low GI diet through pregnancy and they kept me on Metformin.

In the end, I had pre-e and gained 35 pounds.  I had my daughter and left the hospital 40 pounds lighter.  Then I gained up to where I am now before getting pregnant this time.  

So far, I have lost 3 pounds this pregnancy.  My doctor and I talked about weight in relation to my insulin levels.  I am insulin resistant but my sugars are goods.  Keeping my weight in check should help keep my chances of recurrent pre-e down. 

• I gained 55 lbs with each DD. My doctor never said anything negative about it. I think her only comment was "the more you put on, the more you have to take off", but that was after I made a mention of the weight gain.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • When I first got PG the Dr told me that I should gain between 25-35 lbs. At my 3rd appt the dr was concerned bc I hadn't gained anything but I think it's bc I was wearing jeans at the appt before that and they weighed me down.

Other than that, the olny time the dr was concerned was at the very end. I gained 3 lbs in 7 days and they were worried it was pre-e bc I was SO swollen. But it wasn't...it was just all the water retention. And alas, I went on to have a 9 lb 1 oz baby.

ETA--I gained 33 total but I count it as 30 bc I was so swollen Stick out tongue

• imagechapski:
    imageargonne:

My doctor never said anything about my weight, but I only gained 19 lbs (most of that due to me having GD and having to go on the GD diet).

what does a GD diet consist of?

High protein, low carb.  You basically eat three larger meals a day plus snacks in between.  All are a certain balance of protein and carbs.  15g carbs = 1unit

Breakfast was very low carbs (1 unit) with higher protein.  (my "go-to" was a hard boiled egg and a whole wheat english muffin w/butter)

Snack: 1 unit carbs + protein (usually greek yogurt and a handful of almonds)

Lunch: 2-3 units carbs + protein (this was a variety of things for me)

Snack 1 unit carbs + protein (usually some cheese and fruit)

Dinner: 3-4 units carbs + protein (variety)

Snack: 1 unit carbs + protein (I always had berries and cottage cheese before bed)

Veggies are free (unless they're high sugar veggies like carrots).  The idea is to always have protein with your carbs because it slows down how fast the sugar hits your bloodstream.  Also, you have to eat good carbs (whole grains, fruits, etc.) because the bad carbs hit your blood fast.

• I gained around 45 lbs and none of my Drs ever said anything. I always was so afraid they would though.

TTC #2 July 2014

Me: 35 DH: 36

FF Chart

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

DD1 Feb 2010

• At my first appointment they said a good weight gain would be 20-25 pounds. I only gained 18 so they never commented. Once I gained like 4 pounds in a month but hadn't gained at the previous appointment so he said it was fine, just to be careful as we didn't want to gain 4 pounds every month (it was still pretty early).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My idiot OB told me I could stand to gain a few lbs when I was 4 months pregnant. I ended up gaining 37lbs and having a 9.12 lb baby. It wrecked my stomach to the point where my insurance covered muscle repair and tuck. I wish my dr knew to tell a 107 lb person not to gain 37 lbs. Thank goodness it all came off. 
  • I had a borderline underweight BMI when I got pregnant and lost weight for the first 15 weeks thanks to severe morning sickness so my doctor was much more concerned about me gaining enough than gaining too much.  Eventually I was net +20lbs but I has to fight for every pound. 
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Never had a doc say anything during my pregnancy.  

For those that think GD and weight gain during pregnancy go together, they don't.  GD is caused by hormones. As hormone levels increase some women become insulin resistant.  That is why they usually do the GTT at the end of the 2nd tri when hormones are about to spike.  When I as Dx I had gained about 20lbs at 28 weeks.  I am an active person, in good health and not over weight.  I gained more with DS1 and never had GD.   

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My dr said since I was so overweight already, I needed to try and keep my weight gain to 15 lbs, but that it is normal to gain a bit of weight so even if I gained a lot more than that, he wasn't going to worry unless it messes with my sugar reading or there are other concerns. He expected closer to a 50 lbs gain.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• My Dr. told me she'd never yell at me about my weight. There were healthy guidelines but she's been pregnant too and knows how hard it can be to manage your weight with different pregnancies. It put me at ease for the rest of my pregnancy. One less thing to worry about at appointments. Luckily I stayed within the healthy limit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrewtowngrl:

Never had a doc say anything during my pregnancy.  

For those that think GD and weight gain during pregnancy go together, they don't.  GD is caused by hormones. As hormone levels increase some women become insulin resistant.  That is why they usually do the GTT at the end of the 2nd tri when hormones are about to spike.  When I as Dx I had gained about 20lbs at 28 weeks.  I am an active person, in good health and not over weight.  I gained more with DS1 and never had GD.   

The bolded part is true.  However, the more fat there is, the harder it is for your cells to respond to insulin.   That's why large people are more at risk for type II diabetes.

I, too, and a very healthy, active person (was a semi-pro triathlete before becoming pregnant) and got GD.  It can happen to anyone.

• I gained a total of 55 lbs. I went from 150-205. I still haven't lost it all 2 years later and my dr did warn me about gaining too much when I would go for check ups. Now I'm seeing that he was right. It is harder to lose when you put on that much weight (not saying that with proper diet and exercise it can be lost). But I never did develop GD or pre-e. I thought I was carrying a 9 1/2 lb baby because I was so big but DD was a healthy 6 lbs 14 oz.
  • I gained 60 by 38.5 weeks when I was induced.  I was so concerned and brought it up every appointment.  I was eating healthy and had aversions to most sweets so I didn't understand why I was gaining so much.  She was the one who kept telling me not to worry, everyone gains differently and if I'm eating healthy not to worry.  Well I was swelling up like a balloon and ended up with pre-e.  So my doc was only concerned about my weight when that happened.  I lost 35lbs the first week from peeing out the water weight. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageYules:
    My idiot OB told me I could stand to gain a few lbs when I was 4 months pregnant. I ended up gaining 37lbs and having a 9.12 lb baby. It wrecked my stomach to the point where my insurance covered muscle repair and tuck. I wish my dr knew to tell a 107 lb person not to gain 37 lbs. Thank goodness it all came off. 

what happened to your stomach?  i'm 108 and i gained 50 lbs.  a lot of it was water but the rest i lost through breastfeeding.  my baby was only 7.9 but i went early.  my stomach doesn't look like it did when i was 20, but it doesn't look like it needs any repair work either. 

edited to add - this isn't a snarky thing, i'm just curious what happened to your stomach.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"