Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Potty training....hmmm

So first of all, yes we are starting early that's just how we roll. 

K, so we aren't even attempting full on pt at this point but, started putting dd on the potty around 1 yr.  We started plopping her down 2-3 x/day and reading her a book until she got frustrated or got up repeatedly and then we would be done.  NO pressure just reading a book on the potty if something came out then we made a HUGE deal about it clapping etc.  She would clap and get all excited.  It was going great.  The last 4-5 months however she NEVER goes.  It's like she's holding it while she's sitting in the potty and as soon as I put her diaper back on she goes.  I ususally give her juice while she's on the potty, we read her fav books same as always.  She's gone on the floor a few times when she got off the potty and I wasn't fast enough with the diaper. 

Today I tried keeping her on for a long time just to see what would happen.  I fed her lunch, gave her a lot of juice, read some books, played with some toys, let her 'brush' her teeth, sang songs, all while on the potty. She sat down for close to 45 min.  Nothing happened. I put her diaper back on and within 15 min she had peed in it. She wears cd's except for nap and night time she wears a disposable.  I know if I could just get her to go once she would get it a little. 

Aside from not going in the potty she is very interesed in potty stuff.  She sits on her potty when she sees it in the bathroom, when I am on the toilet she notices it and says 'peepee' and when I flush she says 'bye bye', she also tells us when she goes in her diaper almost all the time.  She thinks it's all poo and doesn't quite get the difference between pee and poo but, she knows there is something in her diaper.

Any ideas?     TIA

p.s. Didn't start pt at all w/ ds until he was 2 and it was 6 mo of hell until he got Bob the Builder undies. We aren't there yet w/ dd. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Potty training....hmmm

• It just doesn't sound like she is ready to me. And making her sit there for 45 minutes? That just seems crazy to me.

We're just starting with DS because he is just now showing signs that he is ready. Basically if he wants to sit on the potty, I take his diaper off and let him sit, but i don't force him to stay there. Eventually we'll work more on actually peeing in the potty but we're just not there yet.

Maybe just relax a bit and let her take the lead?

• imageQue_Syrah:

It just doesn't sound like she is ready to me. And making her sit there for 45 minutes? That just seems crazy to me.

ITA.  Why put yourself through unnecessary stress? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Even though it doesn't feel to you like you are pressuring her, you are.  45 minutes??  That is too long for her to spend sitting there. 

We let Liam sit on the potty but we don't try to distract him or keep him there for any amount of time.  If he wants to sit for a second and then get up, that's fine.  If he wants to hang out and read a book (on his own, we don't read out loud to him) then that's cool, too.  If he doesn't want to sit on the potty at all then that's his choice. 

We've been doing this since he was around 17 months. That is when he showed an interest in going on the potty.  He did great for a while, pooped and peed several times, was really proud of himself.  But, around 19 months, he decided he wanted nothing to do with the potty.  We've been slowly reintroducing it as he is now starting to show interest again.  Mostly, though, we are working on all of those skills you need in order to be ready for potty-training:  communicating about bowel movements and pee, being and to pull pants up and down, getting on and off the potty by yourself, etc.  Depending on where he is with all this I am considering doing the 3 Day Method in June since I'll be home with him for the summer but we'll wait longer if we need too. 

If potty training your DS took so long and was so difficult, you might look into the 3 Day Method for your daughter.  It has great info about how you can tell if they are ready and it might help you avoid another 6 months of he**.  It does say, however, that the magic age is anytime after 22 months so you might have to put things on hold for a bit before you start it.

image image
  • I'm early training DD and have had her on the potty multiple times a day since 10 months.

You are keeping her on there too long. No more than 5 minutes unless she goes and then she's done at that point. Ideally the first or second time she gets up you need to consider it over for that try and come back in a bit. She may realize she doesn't need to go and doesn't want to sit. Give it 20-30 minutes and try again, or if you see potty signs (after eating, grunting, poop face)

She's getting a negative association with the potty. I'd try backing off for a few weeks and only put her own it if she asks or wants too, then start fresh.

Look at the 3 day method by Lora Jensen, we plan to use it with DD when we PT next month. 

t's not a bootcamp and your Dd  won't be 100% in 3 days but it gets you a long way in the process in a short amount of time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with pp's, you say there's not any pressure but there absolutely is if you kept her there for 45mins.  At this point you are way more motivated than she is, and that's just not going to work.  She's obviously not ready, so stop pushing it.  I would continue putting her on the potty 2-3 times a day for a couple of minutes, and that's it until she shows more signs of readiness.  They have to be physically, cognitively, and developmentally ready for potty training...just showing a couple of signs isn't enough to send them full speed into potty training.

• OMG that's how long she was willing to sit.  I didn't force her to sit that long.  As soon as she wanted to get up we were done.  Did anyone even read my post or did you all just see 45 min and 18 mo old?  I know she's not ready to full on pt which is why I wrote that in my post.   We keep her on the potty until she wants to get up which I also wrote in my post. It takes her at least 30 min to eat lunch which was only one of the activities she was doing for the 45 min that she was WILLING to sit. 

Thank you for your useless comments that have nothing to do with my post or my question.  I was simply asking if anyone else's dc went through a holding it while on the potty stage.     

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image Pregnancy Ticker
  • She should not be eating etc. on the potty. It has one purpose and that's it. Try limiting it to just potty time. 

She may be confused since she sits on it like a chair.

If you catch her pooping put her on it to finish and try sitting her on it about 10 min.s after eating and leave her diaper off for a few minutes if she doesn't go, when she starts sit her on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"