Breastfeeding

What is your BFing goal?

I never really set one for myself.  My LO is just about 5 months and even though it's a lot of work (pumping and nursing), I really love that she's only ever had BM so I plan to keep going with it.  I know AAP recommends at least 6 months.  I always figured that maybe I'd go a year but I see some women going for >1 year.  I was just curious what other mamas were doing.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What is your BFing goal?

• At least a year

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A year.  I would say longer than that (I went to around 16 mos with DS) but I have to exclusively pump and it sucks!  So I'll be thrilled to make it to a year.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello all BFing Moms

My LO is 3 months and I plan on BFing until he is a least one. I'm willing to go longer it's just up to him. I just love BFing besides all the health benefits it's also great on your pocketbook. ;-) 

• We've made it 13 months!  Keep going mamas!  I plan to keep going until he self-weans.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • At least one year and then I plan on letting my girls decide after that. (Although, if it was up to one of my twins, she'd bf until she is 10 - she loves it!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My original goal was 3 months, then six and now a year. I just keep pushing it back! : ) It feels so great to have never supplemented, and I think I'll just keep going as long as we can!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our pedi recommended weaning after a year as BM has no significant nutrition benefits after a year. That's pretty much what I had decided for myself anyways.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 1 year.

First it was 6 months, then 9 months, then 1 year. Once we get to a year I'll reevaluate... I might keep going, I love BFing DD, but I will probably be ready to throw the pump out the window! ;)

DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
  • imagecrh1221:
    Our pedi recommended weaning after a year as BM has no significant nutrition benefits after a year. That's pretty much what I had decided for myself anyways.

Your pediatrician doesn't give very accurate advice. Breastmilk is still nutritionally valuable to toddlers past 12 months.

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

OP - I aimed for a year with DS1, nursed him for about 2.5. DS1 has been nursing 14 months, and I'll wean him around two years. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• My goal is for a year. I was originally planning on pumping enough of a stash that I could stop at 9 months, but I despise pumping so now I'm planning to go all the way.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • My bf goal is 2 yrs we are at 15 mths and I love it!
  • The WHO recommend bmilk for at least the first 2 years, so this is my goal.  I plan to breast feed until my LO self weans, but hope to have enough of a freezer stash to last until she is 2 y/o.  I figure even is she self weans earlier than 2 (which is likely) I can give her bmilk in a cup to drink instead of WCM.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • imagecrh1221:
    Our pedi recommended weaning after a year as BM has no significant nutrition benefits after a year. That's pretty much what I had decided for myself anyways.
    This is not true. I'd be careful taking any other bfing advice from the pedi in the future... The WHO even recommends bfing for at LEAST 2 years.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Our goal was a year and I bf dd until 14 months.  I didn't want to stop but, we're ttc and I thought it would help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image Pregnancy Ticker
  • I EP and plan to do so for at least a year. I started with a goal of 6 months EBF, but once I switched to EP (latch issues) and discovered I have a great supply, I upped the goal.
  • imagecrh1221:

That is 100% not true.  And the WHO's current recommendations are actually to nurse until 2 years.  Most pediatricians have no formal education regarding breastfeeding. Do your own research.

We've been going for 14 months; I feel like I'm almost done.  Also, I'm trying harder to lose weight and my supply is taking a hit so it may not be up to me much longer.

• To keep EBF together, pumping at work until 1 year. Hopefully, my stash will stay large enough that I can give her BM in a sippy at daycare for a while after I stop pumping. BF together until she self weans which I hope is around 2. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My goal now is to go until DD self weans.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagecrh1221:

Your pediatrician is stupid. If you want to wean at a year, that is fine, but don't do it because your pedi lied to you. Breastmilk does not become less nutritious after a year. That's illogical. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagekitkat145:
    To keep EBF together, pumping at work until 1 year. Hopefully, my stash will stay large enough that I can give her BM in a sippy at daycare for a while after I stop pumping. BF together until she self weans which I hope is around 2. 

This is my goal also.

• imagelotsofbustles:
    Our goal was a year and I bf dd until 14 months.  I didn't want to stop but, we're ttc and I thought it would help.

Similar here.  I nursed my first for 15 months, and even though we wanted to have kids close together I didn't get pregnant again until after I weaned.  This time around I aim to wean at 1 year, mostly because we want a third fairly soon. 

• It was 6 mos, which we just passed a week ago.  Now we'll take it month by month. 

I hate pumping at work, so we may end up moving to morning/night nursing only which I'd like to keep up until 1 year.  I have a respectable freezer stash so that would last another month & a half or so at daycare after I quit the pump, hopefully it'll keep growing a little so that if I pump until she's 9 mos she'll stay in BM until 1 year.

*Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Short term: long enough for DS to learn how to latch and get my supply up

Long term: one year 

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Until she self-weans.  Maybe by age 3?  If we want another kid, we need ivf most likely and you have to completely wean so that may also play a role since I'm 35.
  • I will stop pumping at 1 year, and nurse until DD self weans.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"