Toddlers: 24 Months+

For those who do time outs

DS gets 3 min time outs in his room.  A few times, he's take his pants & undies off and pee on the floor during the time out.  He's only been in undies for maybe 3 months I think, so accidents do occasionally happen.  But this he's definitely doing on purpose.  I'm at a loss on what to do and how to react.  Any advice is much appreciated!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: For those who do time outs

• ugh, my bad grammar above is horrible!  I edited "sometimes" to be "a few times" then all grammatical hell broke loose.  Sorry, we just had a time out pee incident so I'm a tad frazzled.  I'm sure you get the point...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would not use a bedroom to do time outs. Move your time out place to somewhere else where you can keep an eye on him and stop him before he does that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • do t/o in the bathroom
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DD tried this a couple times, as an attempt to get out of doing the timeout.  I made her help clean it up, and then she had to start the time all over again.  After the second time, I put a plastic potty right next to the time-out spot.  Once she had no excuses and realized the cleaning up would only extend the time-out, it wasn't a problem anymore.

And I'd second the suggestion to find a time-out spot where you can keep an eye on him, instead of using his bedroom.  

• Can you do a time out chair?  Maybe a chair that isn't in a room with a television or other form of entertainment?  We can't do this with DD because she would just get right up. Maybe she is too young to understand that "type" of time out.  We still put her in her crib for time outs.

As I read this, I'm not sure this is helpful at all :/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKathrynMD:
    do t/o in the bathroom

I personally wouldn't do this, because if you associate the actual bathroom with "I'm in trouble/bad bad bad" it could possibly lead to anger, or even regression, over the potty itself.  Then again I have ridiculously stubborn kids, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work for others.  

• imageKC_13:
    I would not use a bedroom to do time outs. Move your time out place to somewhere else where you can keep an eye on him and stop him before he does that.

This. Move him somewhere he's seen.

DS started doing this shortly after PTing , though not during time outs, and making him clean up his own mess definitely helped curb this bad habit.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto a chair or somewhere he can be seen. We have a chair in the  living room and when he has to go sit in it he has to hand me his car (he always has one in his hand...lol) and the TV goes off. Nothing burns him more than having to do that!
  • Guess I should have mentioned that I don't have the type of child that will stay in a time out chair.  We tried forever super-nanny style with the replacing, replacing, starting time out time over each time.  That was a huge failure for us.  We switched to the bedroom with childproof doorknob because he won't stay in.  But next time I will definitely make him help clean it up, and maybe he'll have to do the time out over again too.
  • imageKathrynMD:
    do t/o in the bathroom

I was totally thinking this! 

• imagefiasco:
    Guess I should have mentioned that I don't have the type of child that will stay in a time out chair.  We tried forever super-nanny style with the replacing, replacing, starting time out time over each time.  That was a huge failure for us.  We switched to the bedroom with childproof doorknob because he won't stay in.  But next time I will definitely make him help clean it up, and maybe he'll have to do the time out over again too.

Put him in the corner and stand in front of him so he can't escape.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKC_13:

imagefiasco:
    Guess I should have mentioned that I don't have the type of child that will stay in a time out chair.  We tried forever super-nanny style with the replacing, replacing, starting time out time over each time.  That was a huge failure for us.  We switched to the bedroom with childproof doorknob because he won't stay in.  But next time I will definitely make him help clean it up, and maybe he'll have to do the time out over again too.

He only gets time outs when he hits, kicks or throws things.  So usually if it gets to that point, he hits.  Then what? 

• imageKC_13:

imagefiasco:

This is what I have to do with DD. Then she only gets a couple steps before I put her back. She gets bored with it much quicker and will sit for the TO.

• This seems like a very obvious solution to your problem, but don't put him in his room for time out!  Put him somewhere you can see him!  Time outs are best done in a single spot that is always the same at home.  Like a specific step, chair or corner.  If he tires to get out just keep putting him back in and starting the timer over.  It may take awhile but he will get it and eventually sit quietly for the whole 3 min.  If you do time outs the right way every child can get it.  My 2 year old sits quietly for a time out and I know she understands what she is doing there because we do exactly the same thing each time. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"