November 2011 Moms

BF moms - pump cleaning?

When you are back to work, pumping several times a day, how often do you need to fully disassemble/clean the pump? Is just a rinse okay and wash it at the end of the day or is it necessary to clean every time?
imageimageimage
Anniversary
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: BF moms - pump cleaning?

• I've been wondering about this too.  Do most of you who pump at work just rinse and dry the pump parts between cleanings?  I'm definitely considering buying extra parts.
  • i was wondering this too. I read on the bf'ing board that some will put the parts in a big zip lock bag and put it in the fridge between pumps.  Then just give them a good clean at home that night.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a medela PIS bag with the cooler in it. I carry the BM in that and then have the parts in a ziploc in the bag as well. The ice pack keeps the parts cooler. I rinse with the parts with the hot water for tea as it is filtered and I don't want the city water to mess her up. ( we have a well at home) then just dry. So far no issues. Last time I fully cleaned at a each pump.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • they sell wipes that you can use to wipe them off then wash when you get home...the idea about keeping the parts cold in the fridge isnt a bad idea either.
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • How do you clean it at home? Im wondering of I'm doing it right? I use Palmolive for babies and wash it after use then at the end of every day I put it in the steam bags. (the shields that is) tubing is hard to clean. 
  • imageLesRN:
    i was wondering this too. I read on the bf'ing board that some will put the parts in a big zip lock bag and put it in the fridge between pumps.  Then just give them a good clean at home that night.  

This is what I do. Our mom's room is really nice but there isn't a sink in there and I would either have to wash them in the kitchen or the bathroom. I really don't want to wash things in the bathroom and I work with a lot of men, so I don't think they would know what to do if they saw me washing pump parts in the kitchen. 

I did it with DD1, for different reasons, and never had a  problem. 

• I have been rinsing very thoroughly with hot water during the day, then giving everything a good scrub at night when I'm home.  I am waiting for Amazon to send me the sanitizer bags for my pump parts, and then I think I'll use those after my last "work pump."  I didn't think about using my refrigerator to store the parts between sessions though.  I think that's a good idea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I simply rinse and then wash at the end of each day. I sanitze once a week...if I remember ;)
  • I rinse then put them in my insulated bag that my milk stays in.
  • There are lots of options.  You can wash them every time.  You can use the Medela pump wipes.  You can just rinse.  You can not wash them at all and put them in the fridge.  What I do is bring enough pump parts for every session of the day and grab a new set for each session.  Then I put them all in the dishwasher at the end of the day.  I have 6 sets of parts, so enough to cover me for 2 days.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"