Babies: 3 - 6 Months

How much does your 4 month old eat?

I've EBF or EP'ed since she was born, but have decided to switch to formula.  I know formula fed babies eat more than BF babies, so I'm not sure how much to feed her. 

Right now she eats 7 times a day, 4 oz per bottle (when she gets one).  Should I just keep giving her 4 oz of formula for now while I wean?  Obviously she'll be getting a combination of BM and formula for several weeks as I cut back, not sure how long it will take to completely stop.

Up until a couple of weeks ago she was STTN and only eating 6x a day, but started waking again to eat at night making it 7.  So I'm not sure if giving her larger amounts during the day would help or not, but I've just always fed her on demand.

I'm not sure how much she weighs, but she's an average sized baby.  I'd guess around 14 lb?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How much does your 4 month old eat?

• I just had to switch to formula this past week.  My LO eats between 4-6 times a day depending on a few different things.  I highly recommend giving your LO larger amounts less frequently.  She will probably go back to STTN after that.  I'm not a doctor, but it seemed to work well for my LO

My friend just told me that she feeds her LO like this...Take LO's weight times 2 and then divide that by the number of times you feed him/her.   That will give you the amount of ounces per bottle. 

I found that when my LO had a lot to eat closer to bedtime he slept better at night.  It's much easier to gauge once they are on formula.  When they are just BF you can't really measure unless you pump and put milk into bottles.  My LO has eaten wayyyy more than 4 oz. at a feeding since he was around a month old.  Try giving more and see if your LO will eat it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO is formula fed and has been for 3 months now. She will only eat 4 oz at a time and usually 7 times a day. Iv tried to space the time out a feed more but it doesnt work...I will say LO is in the 3% shes very petite which is why I think she just doesnt eat a lot. Iv tried the cereal but she is not interested.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is now 5 mos, but at 4 mos, he was taking 5 - 5 oz bottles of BM at daycare (approx 1 every 1.5-2hrs) in addition to being nursed prior to DC and at least 3 times in the evening. 

The weekend he turned 4 mos (16 lbs), we started him on cereal as his demand for more BM was growing - he went from 4 or 5 - 4oz bottles to 5 - 5 oz bottles and looking for more.  After approx 2 - 3 weeks, of adding cereal, his demand for BM has tapered to 4- 5 oz bottles.  We've since added veggies and/or fruit to the cereal.  I've been able to increase my supply with lactation cookies to avoid introducing formula. 

GL.

PitaPata Dog tickers Visit The Nest! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are 13ish lbs, FF.  She eats 21-23oz daily usually broken down as follows:

3:30-4am - 3-4oz

7:30am - 5oz

11:30am - 4-5oz

3:30 am - 5oz

7:30-8pm - 6oz

No solid foods as of yet.  We are also on Neocate + added Rice.  When on other formulas, DD ate much more, we saw a drop when we moved to Neocate.  For example at 2 months she would eat 24oz with goodstart and would only eat 18 with Neocate.  For her, all formulas were not the same.   She has continued to gain well so our pedi and pedi GI are not concerned with intake.

3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • imagelaurenharrison:
    My LO is formula fed and has been for 3 months now. She will only eat 4 oz at a time and usually 7 times a day. Iv tried to space the time out a feed more but it doesnt work...I will say LO is in the 3% shes very petite which is why I think she just doesnt eat a lot. Iv tried the cereal but she is not interested.

Mine only eats 4 at a time 6-8 times a day and he's pretty hefty. I've tried spacing things out/getting him to eat more per feed/whatever but he's just not having it.

When we switched from BF to FF, we just made him 2 oz and let him eat until full and then made more if he wanted more.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Carter won't be 4 months until the 16th, but he eats 6oz every 3ish hours. He sleeps anywhere from 6-9 hours at night without a bottle, it varies, so he gets a different amount of bottles every day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my dd is just shy of 4 months. she's always been FF and is in the 90 percentile for weight and 97 percentile for height. she takes 8 oz approximately every 4-5 hours (except at night). it turns out to be anywhere from 32-40 oz a day. twice a day, i remove an ounce from the bottle and mix it with a tablespoon of rice cereal. she just started cereal, so we're in the just tasting phase. at her 4 month appointment, i need to ask the pedi where to go from here because she's a piggy! she usually STTN from 9 until at least 6, sometimes later (if i don't have to wake her for daycare). i'm gonna regret saying that because now she' going to wake up at some awful hour tonight!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"