Toddlers: 24 Months+

What age did your LO drop daytime naps?

My LO will be 2 later this month.

She went from two day naps to one, around 14 months, which I thought was pretty young.

Now she is fighting her lunchtime nap. Up until now she's been easy as anything to get to go to sleep, and her naps anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours.

This week she is really battling it. She's not unhappy, she's just choosing to play or talk to her teddy rather than sleeping in her bed. 

Today she didn't nap, yesterday she did, the day before she didn't, so it's a bit back and forth.

She has now gone to bed a couple of hours earlier than normal and is asleep.

So I guess my question is, do I just roll with it and give her the opportunity to nap and just see what happens?

And also how many hours sleep should she be getting in total?

Thanks 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: What age did your LO drop daytime naps?

• Both DS and DD dropped their 2nd nap before a year old. Just after his second birthday DSs afternoon nap started to be hit and miss, and shortly after he was done with them, but he still gets "quiet time" during DDs nap. DD turns 2 in 2 weeks and already her afternoon nap is a bit hit and miss.  There's nothing you can really do when they drop their naps, except keep giving them the opportunity to sleep, or at least encourage quiet time. It's not an easy transition, that's for sure. DS and DD get 10-12 hours of sleep at night. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS decided to drop his just this Christmas holidays. He is 28 months old. I guess he didn't want to miss the fun with his family whom we see only a few times a year. I am trying to enforce some quiet time now, however the only thing which will keep him still for an hour is watching TV. I need some rest too, so that's the only TV he gets during the day, and I can breathe for a bit. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My ds went from 2 naps to 1 at 15 months. In the last 2 weeks (at 31 months) it has been hit nad miss. If we stay home and dont do a lot in the morning, he is less likely to nap. If we are out and about during thr morning, he is more tired and naps easily. I am hoping to get naptime as long as possible. If he doesnt nap, he still has to have rest time in his room. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He was done at 2.  I think he has napped about 12 times in the last 18 months.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD turns 2 in just a few days and still takes a 2 hour nap every day. 

Here's the thing though, I take her up and will cover her and turn on music and close the shades.  If she sleeps (though she always does), where she sleeps (currently the floor for the past 7 days), and how long she sleeps (if only an hour I go up and tell her it's still nap time, lay down) is all up to her.

When she quits sleeping I'll still expect her to be up there having quiet time in her room.  I'll likely expect that until she starts preschool next fall.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• DD dropped her nap about a month ago.  She is 2.5 yrs old.  She usually does nap when she goes to the sitter 3 days a week, but at home, she fights it hard. And she doesn't sit still and play quietly in her room---I've tried to encourage that--but she just won't do it. So we lay down and read books or watch TV for "quiet time".  I think toddlers are supposed to get between 10-12 hrs of sleep.  DD falls in there with around 10.5-11 hrs. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD stopped napping at home around 2.5. Of course right when DS was born. She'd still nap on and off at daycare though. DS will be 3 at the end of this month and he still naps regularly. He can skip them if we're out and about with no real issue, but if we're home and put him down he'll generally still sleep for 1.5-2 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"