1st Trimester

Bikram Hot Yoga?

I have been doing bikram hot yoga for about 2 1/2 years now.  I stopped for the past two months because i thought it wasn't good when i was TTC. I am 4 weeks pregnant now.  Is it safe to go back to bikram yoga?

Re: Bikram Hot Yoga?

• I wouldn't go without approval from my Dr., an increase in body temp isn't good for you when pregnant.

There's a topic about this in the Health & Exercise section and the consensus is no, go for regular yoga instead.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know much about that type of yoga, but anything that raises your body temp substantially while pregnant is not a good idea.  Have you thought about prenatal yoga?
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would not, I'd be worried about my body temp becoming too elevated. I would personally stick to regular yoga but ultimately it's your call.
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• I have personally heard mixed things about bikram yoga while pregnant. I love Bikram and working out but as far as I have been reading it is not good for the baby to raise your body temperature. Bikram will more than likely raise your temperature to high. I am still lifting weights, doing classes, and cardio but I am just sticking to normal yoga.  One of the rules with working out while pregnant is to not get overheated. I would talk with your Doctor on this one but until then play it safe and do regular yoga or another workout. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My Hot Yoga place says it is fine, but obviously they want your money.  They say you can go as long as you always have, just don't start.  But, I would do some research and ask your doctor. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I used to do bikram yoga also and definitely wouldn't do it while PG. I plan to find a good safe prenatal yoga and pick bikram back up after the baby is born. Talk to your dr but I doubt they will approve.
    BFP #3 11/27/11, EDD 8/3/12 BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #1 8/1/11, Natural MC 8/12/11 6 weeks
    BFP #2 9/25/11, Natural MC 10/3/11 6 weeks

• My mom told me that heat separates the placenta, causing:

On the baby:

• If a large amount of the placenta separates from the uterus, the baby will probably be in distress until delivery and may die in utero, thus resulting in a stillbirth.
    • The baby may be premature and need to be placed in the newborn intensive care unit. He or she might have problems with breathing and feeding.
    • If the baby is in distress in the uterus, he or she may have a low level of oxygen in the blood after birth.
    • The newborn may have low blood pressure or a low blood count.
    • If the separation is severe enough, the baby could suffer brain damage or die before or shortly after birth.

My doctor doesn't allow me to take baths, or hot showers.  You should talk to your doctor. 

• You didn't think it was good to do while you were trying to get pregnant but you would be fine doing it when you're actually pregnant?  I'm not following the logic on this one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• How hot is the room?

Most authentic yoga places have the room at about 100 degrees but places like Lifetime fitness have their hot rooms at about 85 degrees. My doctor said it's fine to do yoga in a room that is lower than 90 degrees. I would ask your doctor before doing it again. 

imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I wouldn't (and I'm not a cautious pregnant lady). It seems like a high increase in your core body temp is not a good thing. I'd switch to regular yoga (which I did throughout...I just told the instructor and she modified certain poses for me).
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • I would not. You can sweat to cool yourself off, your baby cannot.
    AnniversaryPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • No...you are supposed to maintain a body temp under 100. You can't take a bath hotter than that so hot yoga is out.

ME: 30 DH: 30
    TTC #1 since 3/2010
    DX: Unclear-potential MF (low motility, borderline count); currently unexplained
    Ultrasound/HSG- Feb 2011
    Lap: May 2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #1: 6/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #2: 7/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #3: 8/2011
    9/2011 Switched REs...and more testing
    DX: Unexplained- borderline MFI
    IVF #1: 11/09/2011- BFP!!
    Beta #1: 241; Beta #2: 666
    Ultrasound scheduled for 5w6d
    Baby girl born 8.14.12
  • imageitkatydid:
    I would not. You can sweat to cool yourself off, your baby cannot.

This.

Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're not supposed to be in saunas, which are hotter than hot yoga studios, but you only sit in a sauna. So I think probably not. I'm starting prenatal yoga soon and it seems pretty specialized.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"