June 2012 Moms

Tummy Sleeping Question

Sooo....I was just lurking through another post and someone said something about being frustrated she isn't able to sleep on her belly anymore, not out of comfort but because you're not supposed to. Hold up, what?!?! I didn't know this and sleep on my tummy every night. Is this a no-no that I have never heard of or is it okay?

Re: Tummy Sleeping Question

• I don't know if you're not supposed to sleep on your tummy, so much as at some point soon, you won't be able to.

You have "less stuff" on your left side (less intestine, the left is the smaller lung, etc) so when you're on your left, the weight of the baby isn't smushing as much. You can definitely roll to the right for awhile to keep your hips from locking up.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Also alarmed. I've always been a tummy sleeper and even though ive been trying to sleep on my left side it's not really happening. I also end up waking up on my back which I don't think we're supposed to be sleeping on :( 

I think I've heard once ur in your second trimester that's when u need to start sleeping in the correct position, or at least not on ur back, but I've also heard not till 18 weeks.  

Anyone able to clarify? 

• Loading the player...
  • I still sleep in all positions: back, belly & both sides and I did the same with my other pregnancy. I usually fall asleep on my side (I do this even when not pregnant), but I always wake up on my belly or back. I don't worry about it to tell you the truth. I feel like if I'm not meant to do it then my body will make it uncomfortable and I'll switch positions.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • With my first LO, my dr. said tummy, back and side sleeping "rules" are not truly in effect until the second half of my pregnancy.

Sleeping on the left allows more room and better air supply (and blood flow) for baby, but your hips and back will be aching if you don't roll sometimes!

You will know when you shouldn't sleep or lay down on your back anymore because you will feel like you can't breathe. My dr. said that it will hurt you before it will hurt baby because you will get a headache first. 

I slept on my tummy as long as I could with my first. Even with my leg propped up to hoist my belly off the bed. Around 18-20 weeks though, I started to also get shortness of breath when I did that and was not able to sleep that way comfortably. However, they do make special pillows that are shaped kind of like a doughnut that allow you to sleep on your belly with your belly in the doughnut hole. I don't have one, but it could work??

Don't worry! Trust your instincts - You'll know. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks, ladies! You definitely eased my mind. I'll still talk to the doc on Wednesday, just to get the rules straight, but I appreciate the input and think I'll just continue sleeping how I feel comfortable. Though, I will say, the hubby bought me one of those pregnancy pillows for Christmas and it makes sleeping on your side wayyyy more tolerable. I never would have spent the almost hundred dollars myself on just a pillow, but now that I have it, I'm so so glad he did. 
  • W/ my last pregnancy I slept on my back and stomach until it wasn't comfortable anymore which was around 37 wks.   I had a healthy pregnancy and baby.  I always figure if I need to move or if something is wrong, my body will let me know.
  • My doctor told me around the 20 wk mark you are to sleep on your side (the LH has slightly better circulation to the uterus than the RH) because the pressure of your uterus from laying on your back can slow down circulation.  She also said that if I wake up on my back not to freak out just turn.  I am still sleeping on my stomach most nights when it's comfortable.  As far as she was concerned I can sleep this way until it's not comfortable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My MW says your body will tell you when to stop sleeping a certain way. If sleeping on your belly is still comfortable you can do it. You can also sleep on your back for some time if it doesn't bother you and you will naturally turn when it's better for your body. Our bodies know better than we might think.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMycrimsonheart:

My MW says your body will tell you when to stop sleeping a certain way. If sleeping on your belly is still comfortable you can do it. You can also sleep on your back for some time if it doesn't bother you and you will naturally turn when it's better for your body. Our bodies know better than we might think.

Yeah, believe it or not.  lol

• I used to be a Right Sided Tummy sleeper. When I entered week 15 I started to wake up in the middle of the night  with my arms and hands being numb and tingling. So I switched to sleeping on my Left side and I haven't had any problems, I still wake up on my back sometimes but as long as I stay away from the right side, I have no numbness or tingling.
  • I asked my doctor about this at my last appointment. He said to sleep how you can, to sleep how you're comfortable. He said if at some point you're not comfortable sleeping in a certain position (like on your stomach), then to stop then, but otherwise not to worry about it. As for right side/left side, he again just said to sleep how you're comfortable - you'll be fine!

• imageMycrimsonheart:

My MW says your body will tell you when to stop sleeping a certain way. If sleeping on your belly is still comfortable you can do it. You can also sleep on your back for some time if it doesn't bother you and you will naturally turn when it's better for your body. Our bodies know better than we might think.

Exactly. Sleep on your stomach for as long as it's comfortable. I'm still sleeping on my stomach at 17 weeks, though often bend one leg up to give my belly some more room.  Sleep on your left side if it's comfortable, but move as you need too. And if you wake up on your back, don't panic! Just change positions and go back to sleep. Your body will let you know first (ex. headaches, hard to breath, extremities falling asleep, etc) if you should change position. And for goodness sakes, use common sense! Trust your body and your instincts and think for a moment how many millions of healthy babies have been born before these "rules" came into effect. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebutterfly1979:
    I still sleep in all positions: back, belly & both sides and I did the same with my other pregnancy. I usually fall asleep on my side (I do this even when not pregnant), but I always wake up on my belly or back. I don't worry about it to tell you the truth. I feel like if I'm not meant to do it then my body will make it uncomfortable and I'll switch positions.

This. My dr. always says there would be billboards warning women not to sleep on their backs or that they'd sell cages so women couldn't move in their sleep if it mattered so much what position you sleep in. 

• I talked to my doctor about this on Thursday and he said he can't believe I find it comfortable any more but what ever position I sleep in is fine. He said that the baby is in the fluid and it will cushion it... his NP refered to the amnionic fluid as the chasy (sp) to a car. she said even with car accidents usually the baby is fine so to remember I'm not fragile... Just more be careful of fatigue... With that said.. my doc said what ever position I sleep in is fine as long as I am resting. My massage therapist said if it helps with my circulation to sleep in an semi upright position. she said that will pillows I should feel cushioned and comfortable. Hope this helps.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageTnG05:
    My doctor told me around the 20 wk mark you are to sleep on your side (the LH has slightly better circulation to the uterus than the RH) because the pressure of your uterus from laying on your back can slow down circulation.  She also said that if I wake up on my back not to freak out just turn.  I am still sleeping on my stomach most nights when it's comfortable.  As far as she was concerned I can sleep this way until it's not comfortable.

This.

• You'll know when it's time to stop tummy sleeping.  It will be painful or just plain impossible.    I still wake up on my stomach, but that will probably be coming to an end soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"