3rd Trimester

Using FSA for breast pump

I am planning to use 2012 FSA money to buy my breastpump on Monday. Anyone have experience with this? I looked on my FSA webpage (Wageworks) and it appears I can purchase it anywhere and send in receipt since my FSA visa card will not work at most places (e.g., Buy Buy Baby). But I can't find any specific info about purchasing pumps, just generic info about getting covered items reimbursed. I suppose I may be able to purchase it at Target with my FSA visa if I buy at the pharmacy counter. Anyone know if I can use gift cards to purchase and get reimbursed?

Re: Using FSA for breast pump

• I purchased mine through drugstore.com and had no issues using my FSA visa.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We purchased from Amazon.com and then submitted a reimbursement.  It went through just fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, your FSA will cover a breast pump.  Mine doesn't unless prescribed by a doctor for medically necessary reasons.
  • imageBrenna9481:
    Wow, your FSA will cover a breast pump.  Mine doesn't unless prescribed by a doctor for medically necessary reasons.

That's kind of shocking, at my BF class the LC passed around an article that the IRS declared breast pumps medical equipment, I thought FSA had to cover them...maybe they don't but you can still claim it as a medical expense on your taxes? I would look into that... 

• I never thought of drugstore.com. Will have to look into that. Thanks!
  • imageBrenna9481:
    Wow, your FSA will cover a breast pump.  Mine doesn't unless prescribed by a doctor for medically necessary reasons.

It's my understanding that the government voted that all FSAs have to allow their funds to be used for breastfeeding supplies.  Health insurance companies aren't required to cover them at this time, but you should be able to use your FSA. 

OP- check out www.awaybabyessentials.com  it's a website run by lactation consultants or an RN who wants to provide the best cost possible for supplies.  I got my pump almost $100 cheaper than what BRU or Target had it priced at.  Brand new, factory issues pumps, full warranty, no "catch" so to speak.  Just ladies who want to do the right thing to support other moms! 

• imagegreengirl0909:

imageBrenna9481:

It's my understanding that the government voted that all FSAs have to allow their funds to be used for breastfeeding supplies.  Health insurance companies aren't required to cover them at this time, but you should be able to use your FSA. 

I was going to say the same thing as greengirl. Are you sure you're not confusing health insurance and FSA? My health insurance won't cover it, but we can (and will) be reimbursed through our FSA for one.

DD 1.18.2012
  • i used drugstore.com which said what was fsa acceptable.  i purchased breast pads, something like a boppy, milk bags among many other supplies.  i needed to use up my money.  :)
  • We used ours to cover expenses-- I bought a used one off of ebay before I realised the FSA would cover it, but I just printed out the pay pal receipt and they covered it.  I also have used the FSA to reimburse for some shields I got at target, no problem. 
  • imageBrenna9481:

FSA expenses are not regulated by your insurance they are regulated by the IRS for a list of eligible expenses check out IRS Publication 502, and yes breast pumps are eligible.  From IRS "You can include in medical expenses the cost of breast pumps and supplies that assist lactation."

• imageBrenna9481:

My FSA told me that too, so I hung up and called back to talk to a different person.  They actually do cover it, so I would try calling and talking to someone else. 

image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imageBrenna9481:

Are you sure you aren't confusing FSA with your medical insurance?  ALL FSAs would cover breast pumps unless your company/the plan sponsor specifically excluded it in their plan document. It is far more common for your insurance to not cover it 

• Why not use a check instead?  That might save the hassle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am ordering my breastpump from Walgreen's website.  It is under the FSA item for purchase.  Drugstore.com was a bit higher.  You can also order breastmilk storage bags and breast pads.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"