1st Trimester

Low hCG?

I had some cramping & spotting last week so my doctor had me come in to check my hCG levels. I just called to get my results from my first test & it came back at 2549. I thought this was pretty normal but the doctor on call (mine is out of the office til next week) put in the notes that he wanted to schedule a follow-up ultrasound due to the results. I am now waiting for the nurse to call back after she asks the other doctor if he wants me to come in because I originally had an ultrasound scheduled for the 9th. His notes have me worried that I should have it sooner now. Ugh...I HATE waiting for nurses to call back...it feels like an eternity. If you have your levels checked, what were your hCG levels at 6ish weeks? TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Low hCG?

• Well we are thinking that I'm just now 6 weeks but we have an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow afternoon to hopefully get a better idea.

But we have been monitoring my HCG levels for almost two weeks now.

The first HCG level came back at 93 but it has consistently doubled every two days.

Yesterday my levels were 2800 & the Dr seems quite pleased with those #s.

He is thinking that I was at the end of 5 weeks beginning of 6 weeks.

I've read that it isin't as important the number itself but rather that it keeps increasing every few days.  Do you have other HCG markers to judge & go by? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemakingroom43:

Well we are thinking that I'm just now 6 weeks but we have an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow afternoon to hopefully get a better idea.

But we have been monitoring my HCG levels for almost two weeks now.

The first HCG level came back at 93 but it has consistently doubled every two days.

Yesterday my levels were 2800 & the Dr seems quite pleased with those #s.

He is thinking that I was at the end of 5 weeks beginning of 6 weeks.

I've read that it isin't as important the number itself but rather that it keeps increasing every few days.  Do you have other HCG markers to judge & go by? 

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I have another appointment scheduled for tomorrow to have my blood drawn again. Hopefully the number will have doubled. I dont remember being NEARLY this worried when I was pregnant with DS. 

• Loading the player...
  • My HCG at 5w1d was 408.  I was freaking out.  The OB wanted to do another in 48 hours.  I actually ended up going in about 36 hours later and the number was 948.  She wasn't concerned as much after that.  They scheduled an U/S 6w3d just to be sure it wasn't ectopic or anything was wrong.  The baby was perfect.  We got to see the heartbeat and everything.  Try to relax, stressing just makes it worse but I know how hard that can be.  

Did they do a previous draw?  Or are they doing another in 48 hours?  It's not so much the number that matters as if it is doubling.   Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKayte317:

My HCG at 5w1d was 408.  I was freaking out.  The OB wanted to do another in 48 hours.  I actually ended up going in about 36 hours later and the number was 948.  She wasn't concerned as much after that.  They scheduled an U/S 6w3d just to be sure it wasn't ectopic or anything was wrong.  The baby was perfect.  We got to see the heartbeat and everything.  Try to relax, stressing just makes it worse but I know how hard that can be.  

Did they do a previous draw?  Or are they doing another in 48 hours?  It's not so much the number that matters as if it is doubling.   Good luck!

Thank you. I am trying not to worry or stress but like you said it definitely isn't always easy. I have an appt for a second draw tomorrow. At this point I am hoping they just schedule an ultrasound so I can relax a bit.  

• Do not worry yet... they need to check your numbers in48 hours to see if they double. If you do not know EXACTLY when you O'd or became pregnant the one number doesn't mean much of anything at this point.

Example, I KNEW I was 3 wks 6 days pregnant when I had my first blood draw (43) and the doctor said "well we HAVe to go by your last menstral period which puts you at 5 weeks and this number is too low"...  He was wrong, and everything is fine so far! :)

GL to you!

• One HCG number means absolutely nothing. The range is so huge and can differ greatly between people that a second one should be done, and then look for that first number to double within 48 to 72 hours.

• 3 weeks LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
    • 4 weeks LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
    • 5 weeks LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
    • 6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
    • 7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
    • 9 - 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
    • 13 - 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
    • 17 - 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
    • 25 - 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml
    • Non-pregnant females: <5.0 mIU/ml
    • Postmenopausal females: <9.5 mIU/ml
  • imageAJsMommy1209:
    imageKayte317:

My HCG at 5w1d was 408.  I was freaking out.  The OB wanted to do another in 48 hours.  I actually ended up going in about 36 hours later and the number was 948.  She wasn't concerned as much after that.  They scheduled an U/S 6w3d just to be sure it wasn't ectopic or anything was wrong.  The baby was perfect.  We got to see the heartbeat and everything.  Try to relax, stressing just makes it worse but I know how hard that can be.  

Thank you. I am trying not to worry or stress but like you said it definitely isn't always easy. I have an appt for a second draw tomorrow. At this point I am hoping they just schedule an ultrasound so I can relax a bit.  

I definitely know how that is.  Even though the second HCG draw came back good I was still nervous.  I didn't fully relax till the U/S.  Good luck!   

• It really depends on whether your HCG is rising appropriately.  My OB said 1 level doesn't tell much, as they need 2 to see if it's going up.  My first HCG was only 157 (VERY low) and they thought I was miscarrying.  But the next, 48 hours later, was 372, and a few days later 1000.  The u/s at 6.5 weeks showed a heartbeat and baby, so all is okay despite the low numbers.  Early HCG "normal" ranges are HUGE, so the u/s will likely give more peace of mind.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAJsMommy1209:
    I had some cramping & spotting last week so my doctor had me come in to check my hCG levels. I just called to get my results from my first test & it came back at 2549. I thought this was pretty normal but the doctor on call (mine is out of the office til next week) put in the notes that he wanted to schedule a follow-up ultrasound due to the results. I am now waiting for the nurse to call back after she asks the other doctor if he wants me to come in because I originally had an ultrasound scheduled for the 9th. His notes have me worried that I should have it sooner now. Ugh...I HATE waiting for nurses to call back...it feels like an eternity. If you have your levels checked, what were your hCG levels at 6ish weeks? TIA

Serial Hcg is a diagnostic tool in early pregnancy (especially when it is too early to see anything on ultrasound) especially if you are having symptoms (such as cramping/bleeding). However, once the pregnancy is far enough along to see something on ultrasound, then it is standard for doctors to order an u/s to be used along with the serial Hcg results to makes sure everything is alright. 

Once your levels reach around 2000, then something should be able to be seen on u/s in the uterus. Once your levels reach over 3000, then you might see a h/b.

I know this time in pregnancy can be nerve-racking. Especially if you have had spotting or cramping. Just remember that both those things can occur in a normal pregnancy.

Good luck!  

Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • I wouldn't worry about the # either.

All that matters this early on is the # increase.

Since my Dr. believes I am 5 weeks I just had my betas taken yesterday,  and my HCG is 16,380. 

• I thought my number was really low for 4w 1d. It was 68, and my initial reaction was "oh god" while my doctor's simultaneous reaction was "that's right on par with what we'd expect at 3 to 4 weeks." My progesterone was "very good" as well. lol, of course I'm still concerned, but that's just how I am. 

Due to the holiday weekend and such I wasn't able to go back in for those results and another blood draw yesterday, at 4w 6d, so I'm just hoping for any number that's much higher than 68!

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • I just had my blood drawn today, As soon as I know I'll post back. I was able to see the heart beat flicker on the u/s and the heart beat was 144 bpm. 

I'm sure everything is fine though :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"