3rd Trimester

Bottle or Breast & Why?

NO JUDGEMENT I was just curious as to if you are breast feeding or bottle (FF) feeding and what made you choose to do either?

I BF my 1st and plan on BF this one since my boobies are beyond the point of no return haha j/k. I am BF for the obviouse health benefits to me and baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bottle or Breast & Why?

• With #1: I wanted to breastfeed for the obvious benefits to baby, as well as benefits to me (pratical reasons like it's FREE, health reasons like lower risk of breast cancer, burns calories so weight loss is easier, etc).  I had horribly low milk supply, however, and had to settle for doing both breast and bottle, which did work out well in the end.

I really gave it my ALL to make what little breastfeeding I was capable of work, and I am proud of that, but to be honest...with #2 if I have the same problem, I know I won't be giving as much effort as I did the first time.  With a two year old, it simply won't be possible without causing a nervous breakdown.
    TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am a FTM....so this is dependent on whether I produce enought milk or not...but I will probably do both. BF because of possible health benefits to me and the baby, with the added plus of helping me lose the baby weight. However, I am planning on utilizing the bottle (whether it be pumping or formula) when we're out in public, as I would rather not not BF in public.
  • Loading the player...
  • In this context, I'm guessing that by bottle feeding you mean FF?

BF.  Because it's the default choice and I haven't had any problems that were enough for me to give it up.

• I BF'd last time.  While I had zero problems, in the end, BFing was worse for my LO.  She had a milk protein allergy and we endured 18 weeks of pure hell (aka colic). After we switched to a specialty formula, she suffered constant ear infections until 6 months and 1 week when we got tubes.  The first 6 months were really really really rough to say the least.

Looking back, I am glad I BF'd and was sad to stop.  I will try again this time but I know the signs to look for and will not put myself, my family, or my child through another 6 months like that again. 

• I BF'd DS and will BF this one too. I wanted to try it. No one I knew BF'd (except SIL EP'd). I did it b/c obviously there are a lot of benefits to LO, it's cheaper, and it helped me loose weight quick :)... but it was the HARDEST thing I ever did! I stuck with it through all the hard times and tears. After 3 or 4 months, it was "easy" and I ended up BFing for a year! I was SO PROUD of myself. So I hope to do the same this time, even though I'm nervous about being able to devote all that time to nursing DS2 when I have a toddler running around!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemcdmaw:

I BF'd last time.  While I had zero problems, in the end, BFing was worse for my LO.  She had a milk protein allergy and we endured 18 weeks of pure hell (aka colic). After we switched to a specialty formula, she suffered constant ear infections until 6 months and 1 week when we got tubes.  The first 6 months were really really really rough to say the least.

Looking back, I am glad I BF'd and was sad to stop.  I will try again this time but I know the signs to look for and will not put myself, my family, or my child through another 6 months like that again. 

A close friend of mine is having the same problem now with the baby rejecting her breast milk. Poor little dear just can't keep it down so she has switched to Nestle Good Start (after trying Enfamil which gave LO some pretty wicked gas).

• breastfeed. Because it's natural, it's what my body is designed to do and what my baby is designed to eat, has proven health benefits for mom and baby alike, it's free, environmentally friendly, aids in weight loss...

I breastfed my son for 18 months. I'll probably aim for about the same this time around (although my goal with my son was only one year. Once we got to that point, though, I didn't see any reason to quit).

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLuckyBride06:
    I BF'd DS and will BF this one too. I wanted to try it. No one I knew BF'd (except SIL EP'd). I did it b/c obviously there are a lot of benefits to LO, it's cheaper, and it helped me loose weight quick :)... but it was the HARDEST thing I ever did! I stuck with it through all the hard times and tears. After 3 or 4 months, it was "easy" and I ended up BFing for a year! I was SO PROUD of myself. So I hope to do the same this time, even though I'm nervous about being able to devote all that time to nursing DS2 when I have a toddler running around!

I wanted to add... it was a great bonding experience with DS. I never thought I'd be all gung-ho BFing, but it was so nice and special. I miss it sometimes :)

• I will try again to BF, however, my body produced NO milk when I had DS1.  As I am getting closer to my due date, I can't help but notice that I have had NO leakage or breast growth this pregnancy.  I worry that it means something.
  • imageannabelle.27:

breastfeed. Because it's natural, it's what my body is designed to do and what my baby is designed to eat, has proven health benefits for mom and baby alike, it's free, environmentally friendly, aids in weight loss...

I agree with all of this.  

• imageMI-bride:
    I will try again to BF, however, my body produced NO milk when I had DS1.  As I am getting closer to my due date, I can't help but notice that I have had NO leakage or breast growth this pregnancy.  I worry that it means something.

I never leaked with last pregnancy (and haven't with this pregnancy) and I BF'd for a year. Leaking/not leaking during pregnancy has nothing to do with it... GL this time! 

• I am probably the only one but FTM and planning on FF. BF totally grosses me out, I mean actually turns my stomach. Might be selfish but I know LO will feel the negative emotions I have.
  • This is my first, and if all goes well I plan on BF. Our reasons are most importantly the health benefits, but also for bonding, and cost.
  • I'm BF even though I may have to pump. It's important to me to at least make it until after our baby's surgery. Nobody in my family FFs, so BF is the norm for me.
  • imageRsoc23:
    I am probably the only one but FTM and planning on FF. BF totally grosses me out, I mean actually turns my stomach. Might be selfish but I know LO will feel the negative emotions I have.

That last line is why I won't be as hard on myself this time to try everything under the sun, if I have the same major supply issue.  Yeah, it was great that I was able to do it in the end, but I had a huge difficulty bonding with my baby because I was an emotional wreck, and I can't help but think she picked up on that.
  • BF. Other then the benefits to the babies, I can't imagine paying for formula for two babies at once! Financially I'm really, really hoping that breastfeeding works out. 
  • imageJen0204:
    BF. Other then the benefits to the babies, I can't imagine paying for formula for two babies at once! Financially I'm really, really hoping that breastfeeding works out. 

Ulgh, paying for one sucks enough!  Especially when the "free stuff" is superior :)

And it's worse if your baby needs a specific type of formula that is only made by expensive brands...thankfully we didn't end up in that situation.

• I tried BF with my first but she was on a feeding tube for 6 weeks so when she switched off she wouldn't latch on no matter what we tried but I pumped and bottle fed her the breatsmilk until going back to work then unfortunately I couldn't pump anymore with my job (I am in the military and work as a police officer so I can't take breaks to go pump when I needed to and couldn't stand the pain when my breasts were full of milk with my second chance vest on).  For this little one I plan on at least BF for the time I'm on maternity leave and going to try again at work for as long as possible.  I friend also suggested pumping fulltime and bottle feeding baby with breast milk where I may be able to pump less often...fingers crossed it works and I can BF (via nipple or bottle) for as long as possible.

• I would like to BF, but it sort of depends on how things go.  I might need to supplement with formula.  I have narcolepsy and I will need to be on medications to be functional and I might need to dispose of some breast milk due to that.  I want to breastfeed for at least the first few weeks, but once I return to work I will need meds.  I am hoping to also establish a pumping schedule where I can freeze some for later use.  I might do more pumping than actual breastfeeding.  Or maybe not!  As a FTM I don't really know what will work out best for us.  As much as I would like to commit to EBF I'm not sure if that is the healthiest choice for us.  I have to consider what is going to keep my healthy and able to best care for my child overall even if that means making some hard choices with things like this.
  • Planning on breast feeding along with pumping (so daddy can sometimes feed the baby too) for the first 6 months at least, or as long as is feasible. I'm aware that there can be difficulties, so I'm prepping myself to not be too upset if it doesn't work out. I had a friend who was suuuper into breast feeding before she had her baby and had all sorts of issues and blamed herself when she couldn't continue and it sent her into a depression spiral. I refuse to go there. 

Reasons are the same as stated above. Better for the baby, better for the budget, and good for burning calories. In that order of priority. 

• Breast again because it's so easy and cheap and good for the baby!  I LOVED it the first time and am actually looking forward to doing it again :-)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imagebeachbunni307:
    I am a FTM....so this is dependent on whether I produce enought milk or not...but I will probably do both. BF because of possible health benefits to me and the baby, with the added plus of helping me lose the baby weight. However, I am planning on utilizing the bottle (whether it be pumping or formula) when we're out in public, as I would rather not not BF in public.

The researched health benefits of breastfeeding are dependent on exclusively breastfeeding.  As a CLC I just thought I would mention that if the health benefits are REALLY important to you then you would need to exclusively breastfeed.  Some people feel that their baby will at least be better off getting at least some breastmilk, but there aren't studies to back this up...because there is no easy way to document the health benefits when so many people are using different ratios of breastmilk to formula.  For example...breastmilk can lower the incidence of Type 1 diabetes and childhood cancers, but breastmilk and formula both being fed does not have any documented decreased incidence of diabetes or cancer.  If breastfeeding in public is an issue for you, then you could always pump and bottle feed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefootnotegirl:

Planning on breast feeding along with pumping (so daddy can sometimes feed the baby too) for the first 6 months at least, or as long as is feasible. I'm aware that there can be difficulties, so I'm prepping myself to not be too upset if it doesn't work out. I had a friend who was suuuper into breast feeding before she had her baby and had all sorts of issues and blamed herself when she couldn't continue and it sent her into a depression spiral. I refuse to go there. 

Reasons are the same as stated above. Better for the baby, better for the budget, and good for burning calories. In that order of priority. 

I can relate to your friend!  I cried so much, over something I had no control over!

My new manta is this: breastmilk may be best for baby, but breastFEEDING isn't always best for every family.

Like in my case, if you produce almost none.  Or if you have to take a medication that is unsafe for baby when passed through breastmilk.  Or if you are so stressed that it's contributing to post-partum depression, or interfering with your bond to your baby.

I am very pro-breastfeeding, but I do find we are too hard on ourselves, not to mention each other, when problems arise.
  • imagekris_kelsey:

imagebeachbunni307:
    I am a FTM....so this is dependent on whether I produce enought milk or not...but I will probably do both. BF because of possible health benefits to me and the baby, with the added plus of helping me lose the baby weight. However, I am planning on utilizing the bottle (whether it be pumping or formula) when we're out in public, as I would rather not not BF in public.

The researched health benefits of breastfeeding are dependent on exclusively breastfeeding.  As a CLC I just thought I would mention that if the health benefits are REALLY important to you then you would need to exclusively breastfeed.  Some people feel that their baby will at least be better off getting at least some breastmilk, but there aren't studies to back this up...because there is no easy way to document the health benefits when so many people are using different ratios of breastmilk to formula.  For example...breastmilk can lower the incidence of Type 1 diabetes and childhood cancers, but breastmilk and formula both being fed does not have any documented decreased incidence of diabetes or cancer.  If breastfeeding in public is an issue for you, then you could always pump and bottle feed.

Gee, thanks for that, now I have absolutely no motivation to even try if I have supply issues!

I know I'm not a professional, but I find that hard to believe - that there is NO benefit to partially breastfeedin.  Every health professional I have talked to has said that "some is better than none".  Are there not huge benefits to the colostrum alone?  Does partially breastfeeding not still pass on immunities to the child? 

I know you're trying to be helpful, but you're basically saying that if you can't exclusively breastfeed, there isn't any point.

• imageHopingForOne:
    imagekris_kelsey:

imagebeachbunni307:

Gee, thanks for that, now I have absolutely no motivation to even try if I have supply issues!

I know I'm not a professional, but I find that hard to believe - that there is NO benefit to partially breastfeedin.  Every health professional I have talked to has said that "some is better than none".  Are there not huge benefits to the colostrum alone?  Does partially breastfeeding not still pass on immunities to the child? 

I know you're trying to be helpful, but you're basically saying that if you can't exclusively breastfeed, there isn't any point.

Word!

My mom's a pediatrician and she will tell you she would rather mom's pump than give their babies formula! It's not about how the baby gets it, it's the fact that they do get it!

I was BF'd and I plan on doing that with my baby, exclusively for the first 2 months and then I will BF when I can and pump, but that's if everything goes well with BFing...My hospital is pro-BFing, so atleast I will get extra advice and help if needed!

• imageMotherMonster:
    imageHopingForOne:
    imagekris_kelsey:

imagebeachbunni307:

Word!

My mom's a pediatrician and she will tell you she would rather mom's pump than give their babies formula! It's not about how the baby gets it, it's the fact that they do get it!

I was BF'd and I plan on doing that with my baby, exclusively for the first 2 months and then I will BF when I can and pump, but that's if everything goes well with BFing...My hospital is pro-BFing, so atleast I will get extra advice and help if needed!

I think you missed my point.  I could not exclusively give breastmilk - I had almost no supply.  I had to give formula as well.  But all of the lactation consultants I saw told me that some breastmilk is better than none...the above poster seemed to be saying that if you add in any formula, there is no benefit to the breastmilk. I don't buy that, unless ever doctor, lactation consult, and nurse I dealt with is wrong.

• I BF DS and I plan to BF this time also, although like someone said a little nervous about breastfeeding with a toddler too!   Health benefits, bonding, and cost were all factors for us.  My breasts did not change at all during my pregnancy, I wore the same size/style of bra the day I got my BFP as the day i checked in to deliver.  Some thoughts.

1.  I have also heard some breast milk is better than no breast milk. I'm not sure where that other statement came from at all.

2. MOST women can breastfeed.  There are different challenges that need support in order to work through, but there are very very few women in this world who cannot physically breastfeed.  

3.  Sometimes women cause their own supply issues by not breastfeeding soon enough following delivery, often enough in the first weeks, long enough at each session, or having a poor latch.  All of these problems can be worked through if you have proper support. 

4.  Many pediatricians are not trained to support breastfeeding moms.  Particularly if they were trained or went through their early years of practicing when the great formula rage came about, they don't have information to share. This can be discouraging to moms who are trying to breastfeed.  If you have made the choice to breastfeed and run into struggles, you may need to find support elsewhere to work through challenges. 

• imagegreengirl0909:

I BF DS and I plan to BF this time also, although like someone said a little nervous about breastfeeding with a toddler too!   Health benefits, bonding, and cost were all factors for us.  My breasts did not change at all during my pregnancy, I wore the same size/style of bra the day I got my BFP as the day i checked in to deliver.  Some thoughts.

1.  I have also heard some breast milk is better than no breast milk. I'm not sure where that other statement came from at all.

2. MOST women can breastfeed.  There are different challenges that need support in order to work through, but there are very very few women in this world who cannot physically breastfeed.  

3.  Sometimes women cause their own supply issues by not breastfeeding soon enough following delivery, often enough in the first weeks, long enough at each session, or having a poor latch.  All of these problems can be worked through if you have proper support. 

4.  Many pediatricians are not trained to support breastfeeding moms.  Particularly if they were trained or went through their early years of practicing when the great formula rage came about, they don't have information to share. This can be discouraging to moms who are trying to breastfeed.  If you have made the choice to breastfeed and run into struggles, you may need to find support elsewhere to work through challenges. 

You are right about the challenges.

When BFing DD I had some latching issues (wound up with scabbed nipples!) and could not pump to save my life (manually or with my fancy $250 electric pump). It took about 45min to get 1/6 of a bottles worth of breast milk with the manual pump, so when my nipples were scabbed from improper latching it was rough keeping my flow going while not feeding from the scabbed breast. It was rough but DD was breast fed for 6mos. I hope this time around is smoother.  

• I BFed DD for the health benefits, convenience, and $$ being saved.

That said, I did not like it. Thankfully we had no problems at all and I BFed for 10 months, but I was SOO happy when it was done. We never had that bonding experience people talk about, and it was beginning to get depressing after so long. Besides that, it did a number on my body. I ate like a horse ALL the time and I still ended up underweight.

That said, I will definitely BF again with my next LO. My peeves about it would not be enough to make me give up the benefits for my next child. (plus yeah, free)

• imageHopingForOne:
    imageMotherMonster:
    imageHopingForOne:
    imagekris_kelsey:

imagebeachbunni307:

Word!

I think you missed my point.  I could not exclusively give breastmilk - I had almost no supply.  I had to give formula as well.  But all of the lactation consultants I saw told me that some breastmilk is better than none...the above poster seemed to be saying that if you add in any formula, there is no benefit to the breastmilk. I don't buy that, unless ever doctor, lactation consult, and nurse I dealt with is wrong.

I didn't miss your point. I was agreeing with you. 

• milk allergies run in the family, and almost every single Formula out there has cow milk in it. My theory, avoid the possible cronic ear infections, sinus issues, breathing problems, rashes etc... that come with cow milk until the baby is old enough to have a developed digestive tract.

Also, many formulas can cause babies stomache upset, constipation or diarrhea... Ucky.

So we go with BM. Went with BM until DD was 6 months. Stopped for reasons to do with my production, not her being ready. Will BM this LO as well, hopefully making it to over a year old before transition.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • I plan on bottle feeding because that is what I am comfortable with.  I am not overly convinced that there is a substantial difference in health benefits despite what the "experts" say.  They also have told me not to eat soft serve ice cream or cold cuts while pregnant which I personally find ridiculous. Hence, I do not pay too much heed to their advice. My entire family, as well as my husband's, were bottle fed and we all turned out just fine.  That being said, I see absolutely nothing wrong with bf. It's just not for me.
  • I am a FTM and my LO will be FF.  While it may be the most natural thing in the world, breastfeeding makes me incredibly uncomfortable and there is just no way I could do it.  I also have no interest in expressing breast milk to feed LO.  Formula will have to work for us!
  • Simple- breast is best and I want to do what is best for my baby.  

I know this probably sounds callous to many of you, but it really is that simple when you break it down.  Yes, formula is not the devil, but why would I choose this option when I have something that is designed specifically for my baby and changes to be specifically what she needs as she grows?  

Yes, there are some women who are unable to BF, but to physically not be able to make enough milk is actually pretty rare.  The reason many women fail is because we are surrounded by mis-information and "support" people (i.e. nurses and LCs without the proper certification) who are giving women the wrong information in those few and precious first days. 

There is WAY too much of a reliance on props (pumps, nipple shields, etc.) and not enough emphasis on just plain nursing. There is a general misconception about how often the baby needs to nurse (VERY often in the beginning), how much they actually need in the beginning (very little) and WAY too much supplementing.  Pair that with the sexualization of breasts, our societies total lack of support for nursing mothers, and the fact that it is just plain hard and painful in the beginning, and you have a disproportionate amount of women who end up giving up before they have even really got started.

Breastfeeding can be REALLY hard for many of us in the beginning (it hurt for 11 weeks for me), but I personally was determined to make it work because it is what is best for my child.  It really is a short commitment in the grand scheme of things, but it is a commitment that makes a world of difference for my childen not only when they are being BF, but also after they weans and for the rest of their lifetime. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I BF my 1st as well and went through the wringer and back but was able to BF for a full year (and then had a ton of freezer stash).  I was an emotional mess, exhausted, etc but determined to make it work.  DS ended up with allergies and asthma - even though I felt that if I BF that was so much less likely to happen. 

With this LO, I plan to FF.  While I agree that the cost is not comparable, it is more important to me and my family at this stage, for me to be happy, healthy and relaxed and BF'ing isn't easy at all.  I have other people that depend on me this time around and I don't believe I'll be able to accommodate everyone and everything while BF'ing due to the amount of time and effort it takes.  I also want DH and other family members to be able to assist with feedings this time around and I still wasn't comfy in public BF'ing even after a year.

It is truly a personal decision that you have to decide for yourself and your family.  For the record, I may deliver and rethink my decision - I am prepared one way or the other.   I have my pump ready to go if necessary but I still think I'm set on FF'ing.

• With my first: While the idea of BFing made me uncomfortable, I decided to do it due to the health benefits.  However, we spent two weeks trying and were absolutely miserable, plus I couldn't do anything to get my milk supply up to a sufficient level (after she was done on both sides, she'd be crying that she was still hungry).  Switching to FFing was the best decision I ever made--I became a much better all-around mother when I wasn't stressing so much about being inadequate at BFing.

With my second: Even after the problems with my first and knowing I won't be able to keep it up long due to my work schedule, I plan to at least attempt BFing.  Many of the best benefits of BFing is from the first few weeks of feeding (not that doing it longer isn't good), so I'm going to try for at least a week or two before switching to FFing. 

• I pumped and FF last time and I intend on doing that again. DS would NOT latch. We had about 7 or 8 successful latches and that's it ever. No matter how many LC's etc etc I saw it just wasn't happening.

I ended up getting pregnant around 4 months after DS was born and my milk supply dried up. Of course I didn't KNOW I was pregnant when it did dry up and I was mortified. I was able to pump enough milk to keep him on all BM for a long time, only supplementing once in a while.  But then after I found out I was pregnant it kinda all fell into place and we just went to all Formula.

I intend on trying to BF this baby, and If I can't I will probably pump as much as I can. I highly doubt I will beable to keep up with it as DS will be here and I have no idea how i'd make time to be pumping every 2-3 hours with a 1 year old running around plus a newborn. But I will do my hardest to try. 

Best case scenario is that this baby gets a good latch and I can just BF. I hope and pray it works this time!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    By lilenatalem at 2012-01-28 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'll be starting off BF (hopefully) and then adding pumping to the mix pretty quickly because my pedi suggested I get her started on a bottle after 2 weeks (I have to go back to work at 6 weeks). I guess it will all depend on what happens with my supply. I don't have an issue with supplementing with formula if need be and if breastfeeding doesn't work out, I'm not going to beat myself up over it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagepinksweetpea2:

There is WAY too much of a reliance on props (pumps, nipple shields, etc.) and not enough emphasis on just plain nursing.

Unfortunately some of us have to rely on pumps in order to supply breast milk. I don't have the luxury of staying home with my child for a prolonged period of time.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageHopingForOne:
    imageMotherMonster:
    imageHopingForOne:
    imagekris_kelsey:

imagebeachbunni307:

Word!

I didn't miss the point of low supply...if you have low supply of course it would be better to do both.  Where you said that you don't want to breastfeed in public...that is what I specifically referred to...if you read it carefully.  I just suggested not giving formula just because you are in public.  And I did not say that some breastmilk isn't good, I said that THE RESEARCH has not shown that some breastmilk and formula both  are better than formula alone do to the limits of being able to research the ratios of milk:formula.  For anyone that has supply issues they should give what they can, but if you don't have supply issues then why introduce formula just because you don't like to breastfeed in public when that mere decision could alter the health benefits.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"