March 2012 Moms

How to word on registry that I don't want clothes.

So, our little girl is already becoming very blessed in the clothing department. I have found lots of clothing for cheap at moms to moms sales and received some really cute items for Christmas for her. We really need baby related items, and I am afraid that our family is going to go crazy on buying clothes for our little girl and not get the items she really needs. Not to sound ungrateful at all, I am so thankful we are even being given a shower, its just that we can find clothes for cheap, but we will have a more difficult time finding the things she needs. And I am a first time mom, so I don't have any clue what is good or not. So my question is, how tacky is it to say something like "Since we have found so many good deals on clothing for our little one, we would greatly appreciate the items she will need most!" Or something along those lines. I know some people will buy her clothes anyway, but we really need the pack and play (we are using it as a bassinet), the stroller, the car seat, etc. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

DX PCOS in 2000 TTC since April 2010 DX Hypothyroidism 6/2010 Referred to RE 9/2010.

BFP in June 2011, DD born in 2012

Joined the baby train again 8/2013. First month, out due to re-diganosis of Hashimotos.

Sept 2013, 2.5 letrozole and trigger, low progestrone and using supplements = BFN.

Oct 2013 2.5 Letrozole, trigger, and IUI = low progestrone (8.9, using supplements) and BFP 11/6 Beta 26.9, Beta 2 @ 30, Beta 3 @ 25.3, Beta 4 @ 25.2 CP 5w1d

Nov 2013: ? waiting on AF

Re: How to word on registry that I don't want clothes.

• I wouldn't say anything.  I would just suck it up and hit the stores to return what you dont need after the shower.
  • I don't think you sound ungrateful and truthfully this is one of the reasons I stayed Team Green with DD - people don't like buying gender neutral clothes! But I don't think you can really say anything on your registry, other than not having any clothes on there. If I were in your shoes, I would just take my chances - maybe mention tothe host that you have a lot of clothes already so in case anyone asks her what you really want, she would know that?
    image        image
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepink100:
    I wouldn't say anything.  I would just suck it up and hit the stores to return what you dont need after the shower.

This. Yes it's tacky to mention it. If you don't want clothes, then don't register for any, but you really can't stop people from purchasing clothing for you if they want to buy it. You can just return it later if you don't want it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • People love to buy clothes. If the word is out you are having a girl, people are going to pick clothes.  There's no polite way to ask people not to buy you clothes, it ends up seeming ungrateful.  Both BRU and Target have let us return things for store credit, even if we didn't register for the items. I'd just plan on returning clothes and hoping you get enough to cover what you'd like to buy. As the parent, that's your job anyway!
  • We didn't want clothes either.  Unfortunately, there really isn't a polite way to let people know.  I just didn't register for any clothes.  If anyone asked me what I wanted I would respond, "Well, we already have so much clothes!  So, I guess, anything else."  

If you get a ton you can return them for store credit and put it towards the stuff you really need.  Most people I know don't want clothes...and most guests I know love to buy them (especially if they are women over 50!) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am in the same boat as you and have been wondering this too. Thanks to the Grandmas and some sales I hit, baby Quinns closet is full, as well as a small dresser and a tote all from size 0-12 months. We literally have no room for more clothes. One thing I have thought to do is to have "themed"showers. I teach kindergarten and the ladies at work are throwing me a shower, we are doing a "Storybook Theme" and asking everyone to bring a copy of their favorite childhood book. My husbands best friend is giving him a diaper shower, we are doing a "Pampers and Pizza" theme the same day as my shower with friends and family who thankfully we are close to most where they know how much clothes she has already been blessed with. We kept clothes off the registry and I know we are going to get some but hopefully our ideas will keep us from getting to much. Its hard because we dont want to seem ungrateful but are hoping these will help. There is so much we need, diapers, bottles, ect. Hopefully ppl will pay attention to the registry. Best of luck! I figured worst case we can bless another family in need :)
  • Thank you, I do not have any clothing on the registries at this point. But I know they will still go bananas. This is the first girl in 11 years on my husbands side and the first girl in 9+ years on my side. I know they will allow me to return for store credit, but if I don't have a receipt they give you the lowest possible price. I'll just suck it up, knowing we can make some last minute trips to the store to return items and get the things we need.

DX PCOS in 2000 TTC since April 2010 DX Hypothyroidism 6/2010 Referred to RE 9/2010.

Joined the baby train again 8/2013. First month, out due to re-diganosis of Hashimotos.

Sept 2013, 2.5 letrozole and trigger, low progestrone and using supplements = BFN.

Oct 2013 2.5 Letrozole, trigger, and IUI = low progestrone (8.9, using supplements) and BFP 11/6 Beta 26.9, Beta 2 @ 30, Beta 3 @ 25.3, Beta 4 @ 25.2 CP 5w1d

• imagesalt78:

imagepink100:
    I wouldn't say anything.  I would just suck it up and hit the stores to return what you dont need after the shower.

This. Yes it's tacky to mention it. If you don't want clothes, then don't register for any, but you really can't stop people from purchasing clothing for you if they want to buy it. You can just return it later if you don't want it.

This. 

• Sorry but I've got to be blunt- suck it up and deal with the fact you'll get baby clothes.  Even if you put on your registry that you don't want clothes (which I would side eye a bit) many people will ignore it.  Heck many people will ignore your registry entirely.

Just thank them for taking the time to get you a gift and return what you don't want/like/need.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I agree with the pp's that you can't really tell people not to get you clothes. While I'm sure most guests will pick out items off your registry, almost everybody I know enjoys picking out cute little baby clothes as well. You can always return the items of clothing you don't want. Having said that, I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect others to buy carseats or pnp's for your kid (we registered for these items as well, but more so for the completion coupon) - I feel that that is your job as a parent.
  • imagene14pez:
    Thank you, I do not have any clothing on the registries at this point. But I know they will still go bananas. This is the first girl in 11 years on my husbands side and the first girl in 9+ years on my side. I know they will allow me to return for store credit, but if I don't have a receipt they give you the lowest possible price. I'll just suck it up, knowing we can make some last minute trips to the store to return items and get the things we need.

Ha. I'm in the same boat (first female grandchild on my husband's side and first girl since ME on my side). People are all about buying the girlie girl outfits!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagesalt78:

I'm in the same boat (first female grandchild on my husband's side and first girl since ME on my side). People are all about buying the girlie girl outfits!

Oh most certainly, and they are all adorable for sure. If nothing else she will be styling in all her duds! I feel better now knowing that it probably would come off as tacky or rude if I put anything on there. Glad I asked before I did. I'm just more practical and figured I should get the opinion before I made any changes.

• This is exactly why I haven't bought any clothes for our little one - baby boy clothes aren't quite as cute, but we've already been given tons as gifts.  I'm a little bummed that I probably won't need to pick out any of my own son's clothes at first, but I'm so lucky to have generous family/friends and there will be many, many more years of me doing the shopping.

I agree with PP, there's no way to get the word out that you don't want clothes.  Maybe if someone asks you what you need, you could mention that you don't need clothes but would love something off your registry.  Hopefully you can return some things!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • People enjoy shopping for clothes yes and love girl clothes but the point of a shower is to celebrate the new little one, and mom to be, and help out the new parents. Maybe suggest that clothes are bought is a larger size like 9-12 months? And of course there are ppl you know you can say this to because you are close enough to them, and some who might find it a bit tacky, I would mention it to those you can. :) Good luck girl
  • I would say "A very generous friend had donated a lot of clothes for little one so we are all set"
  • We are in the same boat, we have a closet full of clothes for LO, so I'd rather get anything but clothes for the shower but you can't really ask for specific items. I would suggest you tell the host of your shower that if anyone asks for gift suggestions she pass along that you have plenty of clothes.

• They are gifts, be happy people are spending any money on your child.  It's no one else's responsibility to provide you with 'other baby items'.  It's your child, you buy the items you need and accept the gifts that people are giving you and be thankful.

If you don't need the clothes then donate them.

• imagepink100:
    This! I had my baby shower already and I received mostly clothes for our little girl. The only non-clothes items I received were: a baby body wash set, a bouncer, a rock n' play, and a box of diapers. No sheets, no bottles, no diaper bags, nothing. And everyone "thought ahead" so Abigail is set for clothes in the 12-18 month range but not the 0-9 month range. People like buying baby clothes - I don't think there's any way around it. I hope you get the essentials - I'm very overwhelmed at everything we still need.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree, there's nothing you can do.....or can you????  Just tell everyone that you just got another ultrasound and now they are not 100% sure that it will even be a girl!!!  LOL!!!  Like that idea?  I thought you might:) 

Your post is exactly one of the reasons why we are not finding out what we are having (the main reason is that we struggled with infertility for so long and knew EVERYTHING about my body along the way, so we want some mystery now).  We do not want to be bombarded with clothes either, so I understand where you are coming from, as I think everyone does.  However, if it happens, there really is nothing you can do about it other than try to figure out where they got them and return them.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"