Success after IF

wwyd: 5 day old and office holiday party?

(forgive me for not having a ticker for Harrison...I can't seem to grab the new ticker code on my iPad and my computer is tucked away at the moment...   He is 4 days old today!!!)

So tomorrow is DH's annual family holiday party at work. With DS here, we just kind of assumed DH would take Anna and I would stay home with Harrison.    But now he is thinking it would be really nice if we were to show up as a family, even if only for a little bit.   He is higher up this year and just think it would make a better statement for us all to be there.   Critical?  No.   But really nice.

My gut feeling is no way.   While physically I am up for going and would have DH's office if I needed to nurse, it seems like a bad idea with other kids, germs, curious adults, etc.   but then....I think Harrison will probably sleep the whole time, i would have him in my front carrier, and it seems sleeping baby in a carrier would deter anyone from asking to hold him, and/or give me an excuse to politely decline if someone asks.  

There will be approx 50 people there, mostly adults but lots of kids, all ages, too.   What would you do?   Harrison has already been out and about because we just can't stay in with Anna...but I don't know what is too much, you know? 

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: wwyd: 5 day old and office holiday party?

• I would take him.  Personally I don't see the difference between taking Harrison to the store vs. taking him to a Christmas party.  If anything, you are less likely to encounter stray germs at a party than out and about (where people do what they need to do regardless of their health).

• I personally wouldn't.  That's a lot of people, and no way would I want to chance getting a week old baby sick.

I'd bet he'd be fine, but I would err on the side of caution.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I would go for it if you're feeling up to it.  Especially if you have a moby or something similar to keep the baby sort of wrapped up and out of reach for people to reach right out and touch him.
    TTC #2 with PCOS since September 2009
    BFP, Femara 7.5mg, Ovidrel, IUI. Beta #1 17dpIUI -495 Beta #2 19dpIUI-1031
    Lovebugs2012
    My Blog
  • I'd go if, and only if, YOU feel up to going. Physically, I mean.

If he's in the carrier on your body and you have somewhere to nurse in private it might be nice for everyone to see him. Kids will be too short to touch him and you can always politely decline any adult getting close enough to breathe on him.

• imageartygirl:

I would take him.  Personally I don't see the difference between taking Harrison to the store vs. taking him to a Christmas party.  If anything, you are less likely to encounter stray germs at a party than out and about (where people do what they need to do regardless of their health).

Exactly. If you are out at the grocery store, restaurant, whatever you are just as likely to be exposed to germs from touching things, people breathing near you, whatever. 

• If this was a summer party I would probably say yes but since I am sitting her at work with a cold I would say no don't bring him.  Safe to say that there will definitely be at least a few people at the party with colds.  I think a party is different then being at a store because everyone at the party is going to want to get a good look at him.  That is just me and I am generally pretty liberal and would take the baby out pretty early. 
  • I'd consider it if YOU feel okay.  I took DD to church for Easter when she was only a few days older.  I wore her in my wrap and no one even attempted to touch her or even get close to see her.  Like you, we got out and about pretty early on because it was necessary for DS's sanity. 

GL whatever you decide!

• There is no possible way I'd go.

There is just too much of a chance with that many people...and sick newborns scare the crap out of me. 

Sorry...

• I'm pretty casual about that kind of stuff, I say go. (but yeah, guard and protect his heart in the carrier, lol) Unless a kid has health issues, germs are everywhere. Might as well get the immune thing started. Wash up good after, Anna too... but yeah... if there's a legit reason, go.

If DH wanted to stay longer, I would drive separately, so you can scoot out.

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • At 5 days old, I wouldn't. It's not like you're going to the store on a quick errand where you can wear him and no one has to see his face. I'm guessing at your DH's office party, everyone will want to see him and ooh and ahh over him, even if you were wearing him.

DD was born last January and our pedi told us not to take her to places with a lot of people until flu season was over. We didn't even go to church for 3 months. It just wasn't worth it to me to risk her getting sick.

I just recently got over a nasty bug (DD has it now, booooo) that's been going around like wildfire. I know exactly where I got it too - I was stuck in a conference room with a co-worker who barely had the sniffles. Two days later, she was calling out of work and I was just starting to feel sniffly and then I was calling out sick a few days after that. Who knows who will be at the party feeling slightly sniffly, ya know? (Can you tell I'm super paranoid now? Watching DD suffer through this bug has been miserable!! I CANNOT wait for it to run its course!)

Kudos to you though for even feeling up for it though! :-)  I don't think I wore anything but sweats and PJ bottoms for 8 weeks! lol

After 5 years of TTC, 3 IUIs, 5 IVFs, 2 FETs, multiple losses and an adoption that wasn
  • I would go, you are more likely to get sick at the ped office then at a company christmast party. I just would not let anyone really touch him, especially if they sound like they have been sick. Plus your husband is going to bring it home with him anyway so you are still running the risk. I took the twins to my office when they were under 2 weeks old!
  • I would go but wear him in the carrier so other people wouldn't touch/want to hold him.  I don't think going for an hour or so is a big deal.  I say do whatever you are comfortable with!
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd go. People would love to see him. And in a carrier, I don't see him getting much germ wise.
  • Personally, if I was feeling ok, I think I would go but wear him the whole time.  But if you have any hesitation, you have a good excuse not to go : )
  • I could go either way on this. If you want to go and you feel up to it and you think it would be fun, then I would absolutely go and wear him in a carrier. I'm pretty laid back about stuff like that.

But like PP said, if you didn't want to go or didn't feel up to it, you have a great excuse! 

• If YOU feel up to it physically and mentally then I would go. I would def use a front carrier and I would make sure your LO's hangs are tucked in, hat on, etc. In case people feel they can touch him (that SO bother's me!). Perhaps take separate cars so you can leave early etc.

I regret not going to my SIL's baby shower when DD was 10 days old. Being my 1st I didn't know how to manage NIP, c/s recovery, my moby wrap. 

Go for it. Worst case you leave.

GL! Have fun!

• I would only go if YOU feel up to it.  Sitting in uncomfortable chairs a few days after haivng a baby can take a lot out of you.  People are going to touch him too, even if you're holding him, so I would just accept that going into it...if it were me, I would feel worse telling people, "Don't touch him!" repeatedly than just not going at all.  Whatever you decide, good luck!
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Nope.  Its cold/flu/rsv season.  I'm a germ freak though. 

If you do go, I'd wear him the whole time and not let anyone come close to him.  

I kept my babies in for like 7-8 weeks after birth though. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • For me it's a toss up.. I am totally w the school of thought that baby 2 is just going to have to learn how to go w the flow sort of speak.. And all those things I did for J like staying home for a month are just not going to fly. But still at 5 days I would be a little hesitant abt taking A new baby. I also don't know how I would feel abt going out I was such a hot mess.. But if you feel up to it then maybe go?' 
  • I wouldn't. That is not a good enough reason for me to risk a newborn's health. But I'm pretty old school when it comes to taking newborns out.
  • I wouldn't for all the reasons that pp mentioned.  Sick newborns are no joke!
    Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I wouldn't go. I wouldn't risk my baby getting sick with that many people during cold/flu season.
    TTC Since 01/09
    Unexplained IF
    Clomid cycle 1-3 - BFN IUI 1-3 - BFN 
    IVF 1 - BFP 4/4/11 - It's a boy!
    FET 1 - BFP M/C 6/14
    IVF 2 - 33R/19F 12 PGS resulted in 5 normal embies
    FET 1 scheduled 12/10/14
  • imageoct11bride03:
    imageartygirl:

I would take him.  Personally I don't see the difference between taking Harrison to the store vs. taking him to a Christmas party.  If anything, you are less likely to encounter stray germs at a party than out and about (where people do what they need to do regardless of their health).

Exactly. If you are out at the grocery store, restaurant, whatever you are just as likely to be exposed to germs from touching things, people breathing near you, whatever. 

I agree with this.  SO happy for you, by the way!  ;)

My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • At first it sounds appealing to make an appearance, show off the new baby, etc. BUT, it is cold/flu season and it isn't just like going to the store. There will be all kinds of people oohing and ahhing over him, wanting to hold/touch him, etc. People at the store may look and comment, but they usually keep their hands to themselves. I wouldn't do it. Not at 5 days old.
    Henry and Papa at the farm
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would go if you feel up to it.
  • I would go.  But I am pretty laid back about this.  Keep him in your Moby, take him out only to nurse in another room...he will be snuggly and happy next to his momma!!
    DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i would go and just be very strict about not letting anyone touch him, which sounds like it's feasible if you keep him snuggled very close to you in a carrier.

i'm so glad that you're recovering so well physically! 

• There is no way I would go. I venture to think that other people at the party would totally understand and would rather see you home and healthy.
    TTC since 8/07 DX - Severe MFI/azoospermia & MTHFR/ TESEs found sperm - 7/08 & 6/09/ 12/08 - IVF#1 - BFN/ 6/09 - IVF #2 - cancelled due to OHSS risk (had retrieval)/ 7/09 - FET #1 - BFN/ 9/09 - FET #2 - BFN/ 11/09 - IVF #3 with new RE cancelled twice - 10/09 & 11/09/ 1/10 - IVF #3 take 3 - BFN/ 4/10 - IVF #4 - first ever BFP on 5/13/10!!! 108 @ 10dp3dt/ 2nd beta 311!/ sono on 5/28/10 said TWINS!!!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'd do it and wear him.  But I would set the expectation that you might be up for it.  That way if you change your mind b/c you aren't up for it or mother instinct says no go, then no go, and no disappointment for DH.  But if you are going, go for you, not for DH's job, kwim?  Do it for the right reasons, I guess is what I am saying.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"