March 2012 Moms

Glucose Test Question

My Gluecose test is coming up in a few weeks. I thought it was strange that they didn't have me go in first thing in the morning like I did with my first pregnancy. I am going at 2:30 and I don't need to fast. I normally eat a bagel with peanut butter and an orange for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch. Not the best, not the worst. Would you eat this before the test? Or would you suggest maybe eggs for breakfast and a salad with chicken for lunch? Thoughts? Does it even matter?

Thanks!

Re: Glucose Test Question

• Not sure what to tell you because I had to fast 24 hours, except for plain protein two hours before the test. (I had 4 scrambled eggs made with water and bacon).

Had my test this morning.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have to do my at a Quest Diagnostics... they didn't give me any instructions at all.  I can see on my slip my doctor selected non-fasting.  I wonder if they are different kinds of these tests??
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    photo calforsiggy_zps05750af4.png
  • Loading the player...
  • There are two lengths of tests, the 1 hour and the 3 hour. I think you usually fast for the three hour test.

I think some doctors have you fast and some do not for the 1 hour. If they don't specifically tell you to fast, I don't think you need to.

• FYI, OP -

From the Bump rules:

-In your signature, you cannot mention your business whatsoever, or link to it.  You can link to your personal blog if you have one.  If your personal blog has a link to your Etsy store, we are ok with that. However, please do not list items and their prices on your personal blog, essentially creating an extension of your store.

I'd change your sig before someone reports you. People can be pretty strict when it comes to solicitation around here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't have to fast for my 1 hr test.  The doc told me to eat normally just try to avoid a super sugary meal ie sugary cereal, pop tart etc.  He said a good carb/protein mix would be best.  So your menu sounds fine in my opinion. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

(BFP 2/7/14. Miscarriage 4/3/14 at 12 weeks)

TTGP September Siggy Challenge: Teen Crush

• For the 1-hour I didn't have to fast but I couldn't eat anything an hour and a half before.  I didn't pass so they called me in for the 3-hour this past Friday. That one I had to fast for and luckily, I just found out I passed. GL!
    TTC #1 12.2009 BFP #1 7.2.2011 Baby Girl 3.17.2012
    Cycle 11 - Clomid 100mg + Follistim + hCg trigger + IUI= BFP!
    Beta/P4 #1(13dpo): 94.5/47, Beta/P4 #2 (17dpo): 625/19.5, Beta/P4 #3 (19dpo): 1285/18.2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP Chart
  • Mine told me to cut out all carbs and sugars.

I was originally scheduled for the test at 4:00...I quickly made the decision to do a morning one instead (8am) as I did not think I could last the whole day with out carbs! 

• I had mine at 1230p, I had 2 eggs for breakfast. I brought a granola bar to my appointment so I could eat it right after they drew blood. LOL 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • There are 3 different glucose test time points (1, 2 and 3 hours) and all of them are done differently ( fasting/non-fasting for 1 hour. 2, 3 or 5 blood draws for the 2 hour).  For the 1 hour GTT fasting is not required, but some OBs prefer it.  It's a matter of preference.

As for changing your eating habits there really isn't a need to do so.  Your body should react the same way if you changed your habits if for only a day or not at all.  However, if you changed them for a week or two and you could alter the results.  Which is exactly what you DON'T want to do. 

As I've said before- yes GD can suck but the risks to both your health and your baby are too big to take.  This isn't like tricking a drug test to get a job- it is so much more important for you to have the info you need for a healthy pregnancy and baby. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I just left the OB for an upper res infection. I was supposed to do my glucose test Thursday, but since I was there he asked me what I had for lunch. Unfortunately, it consisted of a banana, frosted mini wheats and a christmas cookie so they would not even attempt the test today.

Rescheduled it for next week and he said not to eat 3 hours before, and not to eat a carb heavy dinner the night before. Test is at 10am so that pretty much means my last food will be over 12 hours before the test.

I would say not to eat sugar the day of. 

• imageBitsKD13:

As I've said before- yes GD can suck but the risks to both your health and your baby are too big to take.  This isn't like tricking a drug test to get a job- it is so much more important for you to have the info you need for a healthy pregnancy and baby. 

Exactly this. I do not intend on tricking the test. If I have GD I'd like to know so I could treat it effectively. I guess I was just asking because i received no guidelines on what to eat before hand. Thanks everyone!

•  

I didn't have to fast before doing the test but I had to wait 2 hours after eating before taking the test. And I had McDonalds for breakfast (I know not the best breakfast but I had really been craving it) before taking the test and passed.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image
  • I go in next week for mine, my appt is at 8:00am and my Dr said I didn't have to fast, she said obviously just don't woof down a donut or cocoa puffs on your way in!

I will still be off on Christmas Vacation...so chances are I will sleep in and end up not eating before I go in to do the test anyways.

BFP #2 7/20/11 ** EDD: 3/28/12: IT'S A BOY!
    BFP #1 12/30/10 ** EDD: 9/6/11** H/B stopped at 10w 6d conf on 2/22/11 ** D&C 2/24/11.
    Congrats to my Labor Buddy LoriJ11, baby Elise born 2/24/12
  • I had to fast 2 hours before my 1 hour test. I wasn't expecting to take it that day and I had a candy bar a couple hours before the test and things turned out fine.
  • I didn't pass my first test, and I didn't get any guidelines as to what to eat the day of the test and I didn't have to fast.  My appointment was at 4:30 and I'm actually kinda pissed that I didn't go in in the morning.  I'm taking the 3 hour one on Friday, but my first test numbers came back at 145 and my doctor's cut-off was 140... booo!!!!
  • I was told not to fast at all, to eat my normal breakfast, as long as it's not 3 donuts! And to not eat or drink after I drink the glucola, so for that one hour.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was told by Quest to eat my normal meal before going. My appointment was in the afternoon after having blueberry waffles and an apple cinnamon bagel... I was told today I passed so I think it should be fine to eat beforehand.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • They gave me no instructions, but I had 1 cup of coffee at 7:30AM, 1 egg w/cheese at 10:30AM and 1 small, plain chicken breast at 12:00. I took my test at 2:30.

But, since I failed, feel free to take my input with a grain of salt Wink

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"