Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

How soon after tylenol can I give ibuprofen

I can't remember what the timing was. DD has a fever of 103 and it came down .2 degrees with tylenol in the last 45 mintues. I know I can give her motrin/ibuprofen but I can' remember how far apart the dosing should be. TIA! Also does anyone know at 18 months how often they should have a wet diaper. It has been four hours and she is refusing to drink more than a sip or two an hour.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How soon after tylenol can I give ibuprofen

• Options

imagemertense:
    I can't remember what the timing was. DD has a fever of 103 and it came down .2 degrees with tylenol in the last 45 mintues. I know I can give her motrin/ibuprofen but I can' remember how far apart the dosing should be. TIA! Also does anyone know at 18 months how often they should have a wet diaper. It has been four hours and she is refusing to drink more than a sip or two an hour.
    Technically, they have completely different mechanisms of action and are metabolized in different organs. Meaning you COULD give it immediately. But if it continues, I would call your pedi for advice instead.

I don't know on the wet diapers thing.  My almost- 13 month old is at about 5-6 wet diapers/day. 

• Options

Now, I'm no doctor, but my son just went through a whole week of 103 - 105.6 fevers. Our pediatrician told us to alternate Tylenol and Advil (Ibuprofen) every three hours round the clock until the fever broke. If, at any point, the fever hits 106 or does not respond (even dropping a few tenths of a degree) after an hour of medication and a cool bath, bring her into the ER. Even getting it down .2 degrees shows that it is responding. Its when it stays the same or goes up that there is a problem.

As for the wet diapers, try your best to keep her hydrated because fevers can really zap it out of them. Pedialyte will give you the biggest bang for your buck ounce wise. They told me that at this age (almost 14 months) he should be having at least 4 wet diapers per day. 

I hope she feels better soon!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I follow the label, so for tylonal it's every 4 hours, advil every 6. So if you just gave Tylonal I'd give Advil in 4 hours, then Tylonal again in 6.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sorry your LO is sick. Mine is too with the fever and we just begun alternating because the tylenol alone wasn't lasting long. My Dr. Sears book says that tylenol is out of the system in approx. two hours so if that doesn't work in an hour or two it's okay to give the ibuprofen.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options

They are 2 totally separate medications.  You can give tylenol every 4 hours, Ibuprofen every 6.  When LO is sick and has a high fever, we give both at the same time then, give additional doses when they are due.  The timing between the 2 meds doesn't matter...just because you gave tylenol doesn't mean you have to wait 4 hours to give Ibuprofen.  You just can't give another dose of tylenol until 4 hours later.

I hope that made sense.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    They say you can altetnate b/t the two every 3 hours.
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"