2nd Trimester

What do you think of having 2 middle names?

After reading a recent post, it just got me curious:  What do you think when parents give their child 2 middle names?
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: What do you think of having 2 middle names?

• I am not a fan, probably becasue we have a long last name...
  • I don't like it, even having a short last name.
    Little one is here.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think if you have a shorter last name it works. We are giving all of our children 2 middle names. My first and last name are so short, that I need something in between! :) I like the way they sound.
    A - 4/27/12     D - 7/14/14
  • My kids will have two middle names - the second being my last name.  That was our compromise, since my husband and I do not share a last name, and our names are too long and too awful together to hyphenate.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• I was given both of my grandmother's names as middle names and I always thought it was pretty special. There are times when it's kind of annoying though... most official forms/documents/cards only leave space for one initial so I always have to pick one!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • I plan on only doing 1 middle name dh and I agree on very few names so that works best for us LOL... My SIL has given all 3 of her children 2 middle names our last name is only one syllabul and the names work.  I guess it all depends on the person! Where you thinking of any names in particular?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• I had have an ex with two middle names, ' _________ Kevin Alexander'  I sort of wondered why his mom chose those two names.  He always left the Alexander part out on documents too.
  • My sister gave my nephew two middle names and I love it. Ethan John Brian. I think it works because they are short names and they have a short last name too.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • I have two middle names and my maiden name was 3 syllables! It flowed well.

Heather Leigh Ann __ __ __. Leigh is my mother's middle name and Ann is in honor of my paternal grandmother.

My sister has two first names and one middle name. she's Kelly Jo Ann. So her first name is Kelly Jo. (My paternal grandmothers name is Joann. 

We aren't doing it for our children, but I'm not opposed to it in general. It is a little frustrating that almost NO official offices will accept two middle names, but in that case I just use LeighAnn (one word, two capital letters) with the initial L. Gets the point across and it sounds the same if you say it aloud. LOL 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We will be using two middle names.  I wasn't all that into that idea, but it's a tradition in my husband's family, and he thinks it's important.  So I'm for it now.  I think it all depends on the names.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageStacigirl413:
    I plan on only doing 1 middle name dh and I agree on very few names so that works best for us LOL... My SIL has given all 3 of her children 2 middle names our last name is only one syllabul and the names work.  I guess it all depends on the person! Where you thinking of any names in particular?

No, I was more curious what other people thought of it.  My husband and I had our name picked for both genders within a week of finding out.  I'd never heard of two middle names before, until reading a previous thread.  We are using DH's grandpa's name as a middle name and after I read the thread, I toyed around with using his other grandpa's middle name as well, but the name would be too long, I think.

I was just more wondering if it was a popular thing to have 2 middle names :)  Seems to be about 50/50

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • We are considering two middle names. We have some very important people in our lives that have passed on and would love to honor their sort-lived lives with the beginning of another. I think it's all a matter of personal preference. If you like it, go for it, doesn't really matter what anyone else has to say. We all have our own reasons... Stick out tongue

• imageDinabethL:
    I think if you have a shorter last name it works. We are giving all of our children 2 middle names. My first and last name are so short, that I need something in between! :) I like the way they sound.

Great choice!  Our DD is Abigail Anne! 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekibby1234:

imageStacigirl413:
    I plan on only doing 1 middle name dh and I agree on very few names so that works best for us LOL... My SIL has given all 3 of her children 2 middle names our last name is only one syllabul and the names work.  I guess it all depends on the person! Where you thinking of any names in particular?

No, I was more curious what other people thought of it.  My husband and I had our name picked for both genders within a week of finding out.  I'd never heard of two middle names before, until reading a previous thread.  We are using DH's grandpa's name as a middle name and after I read the thread, I toyed around with using his other grandpa's middle name as well, but the name would be too long, I think.

I was just more wondering if it was a popular thing to have 2 middle names :)  Seems to be about 50/50

I understand what you mean.... Me and my husband seem to be more concerned with nicknames that people can call the baby rather than their actual name LOL I know we seem crazy....

If its a boy my husband and I decided on Ryan as a first name (just like it) but Michael as his middle name thats DH name.  If its a girl we like Aubrie Leni (again Aubrie we like adn Leni was my DH fathers name obviously Lenorad but he passed away when my husbad was 11 so we thougth it would be nice to have him apart of this).

What names are you guys thinking about?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Whatever you like is what you should do. I was not a fan at all until now. We are thinking about Stacy Jane as two middle names. DH's sister name, she died when she was 15 and we both like the names.
  • imagewife07mom09:
    silly and confusing for the poor kid

This. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it's too much.  It kind of screams, we couldn't agree on a middle name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are in the process of adopting our 2wk old grandson and he has 2 middle names after each of his great grandfathers.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image
  • I guess I don't really understand it.  It seems like a mouthful usually and on forms there's usually only room for one name so most people won't even know that the child has two middle names.  If you can't pick I'd save one of the names for a future child.
  • Personally, I'm not a fan. I think we should each have a first name, middle name and last name with no hyphens or connecting names for the first or middle names (like a friend's daughter is Juli Katherine and Juli isn't a typo and must be called that so that mom doesn't get upset).  Of course, I am a pretty traditional, conservative person overall.
  • We are doing it if they are girls, one middle name will be Ruth Rose and the other will be Olivea Rose.  All three names are after important grandma's in my and my husband's lives.  I think it's a great way to honor your family without giving them the same first names as others in the family.  For boys we are only thinking one middle name but that's probably because we can't even come up with first names!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My SIL has two mn and hates it.  Seeing her frustration with it was enough for me to not want to do it. If the names have a special meaning, then go for it. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • If we have a girl, she will probably have 2 middle names because I want to honor my cousin who passed away and also no matter what I have, I want to name him/her after my grandpa while he is still alive.  So if it's a girl, she'll be named after both, if it's a boy, just after my grandpa.  I really don't care what anyone will think of her having 2 middle names.  It will be extremely special to her when she's old enough to understand :)
  • Totally NMS. Forget about having anything monogrammed! I just don't see the point, it's more of a hassle for the child when they get older. 
    border=
    DD 10/31/09 - BFP 3/22/11 M/C confirmed 4/9/11 at 8w4d - BFP 10/5/11 EDD 06/16/11 BabyFruit Tickerimageimageimage

*Vote on our Baby names*
  • My little brother has 2 middle names and it has caused nothing but problems his entire life. Depending on the form he's filled out, he's used so many different variations of middle names and initials that now he has like 6 'aliases' with the united states government. It makes legal documents very difficult for him...
  • imagek8trz1024:
    My little brother has 2 middle names and it has caused nothing but problems his entire life. Depending on the form he's filled out, he's used so many different variations of middle names and initials that now he has like 6 'aliases' with the united states government. It makes legal documents very difficult for him...

Well, perhaps he shouldn't fill out forms so inconsistently! LOL

When I fill out forms I put both names together and Capitalize each word. LeighAnn. If I can only put an initial I put L. Every time.  That way it is consistent. It's his fault if he can't put the same thing on two different forms.

It's weird to me that people have a hard time with it. It's not confusing to me. At all I was never confused by it, even as a small child.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageStacigirl413:
    imagekibby1234:

imageStacigirl413:

I understand what you mean.... Me and my husband seem to be more concerned with nicknames that people can call the baby rather than their actual name LOL I know we seem crazy....

If its a boy my husband and I decided on Ryan as a first name (just like it) but Michael as his middle name thats DH name.  If its a girl we like Aubrie Leni (again Aubrie we like adn Leni was my DH fathers name obviously Lenorad but he passed away when my husbad was 11 so we thougth it would be nice to have him apart of this).

What names are you guys thinking about?

For a girl: Audrey Marlene

I was named Audrey when I was first born, but my dad wanted me to be named after him at the last minute so they changed it.  My mom loves the name and so do I.  Marlene is my middle name.  I know some people think it's egotistical to use your own name in your child's but my mom really wanted me to use it and I like it as well.  I was going to use my mom's middle name (Anne), but my mom thought it sounded too country lol.

For a boy: Elijah (Eli) Fay

DH and I love Elijah and Eli.  Fay was his grandpa's name (he passed) and so we chose that.  My husband was actually closer with his other grandpa who passed a year earlier, but his first name was Thomas and I didn't care for it.  DH didn't know that gpa's middle name until a few weeks ago and I found out it's Edward which I love, but I feel like Fay goes better with Elijah.  Plus, we already told everyone the names we have picked out, so I feel like I can't change it anyways.  I played around with Elijah Edward-Fay, but our last name is three syllables and A LOT of letters, so I think it's just too much and doesn't go well together.

I love Leni as a girl's middle name.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My daughter has two middle names Ayanna Nicole Lynn. After my sister that has passed away and my mom. I love it!!!

• imagemamabear0813:

imagek8trz1024:
    My little brother has 2 middle names and it has caused nothing but problems his entire life. Depending on the form he's filled out, he's used so many different variations of middle names and initials that now he has like 6 'aliases' with the united states government. It makes legal documents very difficult for him...

Well, perhaps he shouldn't fill out forms so inconsistently! LOL

When I fill out forms I put both names together and Capitalize each word. LeighAnn. If I can only put an initial I put L. Every time.  That way it is consistent. It's his fault if he can't put the same thing on two different forms.

It's weird to me that people have a hard time with it. It's not confusing to me. At all I was never confused by it, even as a small child.

I had two middle names, still do but I had to drop one when I got married to add my husbands name since it was 2 letters to long for S.S. That being said I have always had the same middle initial or name on my paper work and never had a problem. I mean yes some forms don't have enough space for your full name but you just put One name or an initial instead.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're planning on 2 middle names. I think the ones that are against it have some interesting POVs but it seems like there are ways of solving all those problems. I plan on using the same form of my child's name throughout his life, and only using the second middle name within the family (on cards, privately, things like that). So his initials will always be DC_ not DCM_. It seems like if a person chooses to be consistent (or their parents choose it for them) it will eliminate a lot of the hassle. And i understand if its not your thing, but I don't think its fair to call it silly or mean to the child. Our middle names have a lot of meaning tied into them and I consider it a gift to my child. Just b/c its not your thing doesn't mean that it's wrong.
  • Do not like. But not my child so more power to the people who do it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • We wanted our children to have a family name, a name we chose, and a part of our names. 

So if we have a boy it will be Henry Daniel Joseph (Henry being the name we chose, Daniel is my Dad's name and Joseph is my DH).

If we have a girl it will be Cecilia Grace Lynn (Cecilia being my DH's grandmother's name, Grace the name we chose, and Lynn my middle name).

• I had two middle names. It was always a pain and I think it was silly, so I dropped one when I got married.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageeasjer05:
    My kids will have two middle names - the second being my last name.  That was our compromise, since my husband and I do not share a last name, and our names are too long and too awful together to hyphenate.

I'm doing the same thing!  We're expecting twins, and may want a few more kids in the future. But I kept my name because it is awesome, and I want my kids to have it too.  At the very least, it will be easier to pick them up from school, right?

• I'm considering doing 2 middle names. One of them after my favorite cousin who is awesome and doesn't have any kids of her own. We have an easy 2 syllable last name so it won't be that big of a deal. Plus if our girl doesn't like her first name (sort of old fashioned) she can go by either one of her middle names...

Her name is going to be Vivian Lyza Raquel.

Now if we could only think of a name for our boy...!!!:)

Expecting Boy/Girl Twins in February 2012!!:)
  • I have 3 middle names... then again I'm from Belgium and people don't find it strange at all over there. It's in fact traditional... your godmother's name, your godfather's name, dead relative's name. I'd love to do this as well but judging from a few reactions I guess it really isn't done over here.
  • Both me and my brother have two middle names.  I'm Sophie Kathleen Lily, he's Alexander Edward Jon.

I guess I've never thought anything bad about it because I've grown up with it, but from my perspective it's not a hassle or anything.  In fact, sometimes I feel quite special because I don't know anyone other than us who has two, and a lot of other people think it's pretty cool (:

The only think that slightly annoys me is when I have to put an initial in somewhere and they only leave space for one. 

• I have two middle names - which my mom hyphenated.  I am not a fan and did not do that with our children.  We also have a long last name, but I still would not have done it if we had a shorter/easier last name.   
  • My son was named after his father and 2 middle names they are all so common we never use them both. His name is Steven Christopher John and his last name is super common too Clark. I learned from that one.
    **MC 2/03** **Jazmen born 1/29/04 passed away 1/31/04** Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Beta 1/24/12= 22 Beta 1/26/12= 149 Beta 1/29/12= 1299 U/S 2/11/12 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My son has two middle names. I knew I wanted his middle name to be Michael, after my dad, but when I presented the idea to my fiance it seemed like it "wasn't fair" or something, so we added on Raymond, after his dad. I love my dad, of course he is MY dad, and admire many of his qualities. Many of those great qualities I hope for my son to have as he grows into a young man. As for my father in law, eeehhh. It's easy for me to not care for him as much, he isn't MY dad. Not the greatest guy, and not much I admire about him, but whatever. Oh well. At times I wish I wouldn't have settled, but I think it made my fiance happy, and sometimes it's all about compromise. :)....On the other hand, my mom gave my brother the middle name of Michael, after our dad, and wanted to give him the second middle name of Sherman, after our grandpa. She was told that it seemed too long, so she settled for Michael S., for short. Now she regrets it.

Proud Momma of Parker, born May 9, 2009! TTC baby #2 since November 2011! BFP on 3/16/2012!!! :DImage and video hosting by TinyPic imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"