Babies on the Brain

8 months pregnant bridesmaid

I am a BM in a wedding in late March when I will be about 36 weeks pregnant. Anyone have any idea what size I should order (how many sizes up from my pre-pg size)? I gained 45+ lbs with my son but I believe I only went up one size, if that is any help. Is there some rule of thumb?

We're going through some BM dress website, so I don't have a bridal salon person to ask. Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 8 months pregnant bridesmaid

• How long can you wait to order the dress?

• Ay, I'm not sure.

I would definitely go bigger than you think you will need an get it altered. 

And, just my personal opinion - but you should try to get a maternity one. One of my BFF's was in a wedding last summer and she was 8  months. She didn't get a maternity style dress, she got the same one we were wearing - which was tea length. It was SUPER short in the front. Yikes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imageJessis62781:

How long can you wait to order the dress?

Sadly, I have to order it by tomorrow.

• If there is a maternity option for the BM dress, I'd choose that in your current size.  If not...I'm not sure.  I worked at David's Bridal about 8 years ago, and I can't recall what we used to do in those situations. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd order a couple sizes bigger with plans to get it altered to whatever size you end up by then.   You may be perfectly fine and "all-baby", or you may be swollen beyond belief.  Who knows at this point.  

I'd call around and get the altering scheduled, so you are sure to have a person ready to do it a week or 2 before the wedding - you'd hate to scramble on that one.

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • imageAlex17:

Ay, I'm not sure.

And, just my personal opinion - but you should try to get a maternity one. One of my BFF's was in a wedding last summer and she was 8  months. She didn't get a maternity style dress, she got the same one we were wearing - which was tea length. It was SUPER short in the front. Yikes.

Ugh, I wish. I don't think this one comes in maternity sizing. Fortunately, it's long and empire waisted. I was thinking of going up two sizes from my pre-pg size....

• imagestaycee:

I'd order a couple sizes bigger with plans to get it altered to whatever size you end up by then.   You may be perfectly fine and "all-baby", or you may be swollen beyond belief.  Who knows at this point.  

I'd call around and get the altering scheduled, so you are sure to have a person ready to do it a week or 2 before the wedding - you'd hate to scramble on that one.

All of this.

• I wouldn't worry about the size as much as the material. I could wear some of the same dresses as pre-pregnancy up through 38 weeks pregnant (and my belly was HUGE) as long as they were flowy, stretchy, and not too short.

But if you are shopping maternity dresses, I'd order the same size pre-pregnancy if it's small, medium, large sizing. If it's 4, 6, 8 sizing I'd order one up.

• I would way WAY overestimate the sizing (if you can't get a maternity style). At my friend's wedding a few years ago one of the bridesmaids was newly pregnant and was going to be 7/8 months along at the wedding - she was a 6/8, they ordered a 14 for her (it's easier to take in than take out!).
  • imageBecky19:
    imageAlex17:

Ay, I'm not sure.

Ugh, I wish. I don't think this one comes in maternity sizing. Fortunately, it's long and empire waisted. I was thinking of going up two sizes from my pre-pg size....

ooh, ok. I would seriously go up at least 3 sizes, especially depending on the material. If it's too tight you are screwed. But too big you can just get altered.

And ditto staycee. I'd get the alterations lined up soon so you aren't worried about that later.

• imageGina418:
    I would way WAY overestimate the sizing (if you can't get a maternity style). At my friend's wedding a few years ago one of the bridesmaids was newly pregnant and was going to be 7/8 months along at the wedding - she was a 6/8, they ordered a 14 for her (it's easier to take in than take out!).

OMG. I was thinking of going two sizes up. Maybe I should go four sizes up?! Good grief.

• imageAlex17:
    imageBecky19:
    imageAlex17:

Ay, I'm not sure.

ooh, ok. I would seriously go up at least 3 sizes, especially depending on the material. If it's too tight you are screwed. But too big you can just get altered.

And ditto staycee. I'd get the alterations lined up soon so you aren't worried about that later.

Okay, 3 sizes is a good call. That should give me plenty of wiggle room. Pun intended, haha.

• I was 22 weeks at my BFF's wedding.  

I ordered 2 sizes up.  

It barely fit (the side seems were stretching as much as they could).  

I would order up 3 sizes.   

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would go WAY big. It's so much easier to take something in and I would hate to stress about the dress not fitting.

Ditto staycee on setting up the alterations asap so they can be done as close to the date as possible.

TTC with severe MFI since 9/08 IVF w/ ICSI #1 May/June 2010= BFP twins
    Callan George and Bennett Charles born and died 11/7/10
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    FET #1 April 2011= BFN
    FET #2 July 2011= no transfer because my lining sucked
    FET #3 February 2012= BFP! 1st beta 9dp5dt=314 2nd beta 11dp5dt=977 1st U/S 3/20 Twins- Heart rates of 111 and 138 Pregnancy Ticker
    Living After Losing
  • order up quite a bit.. at 36 weeks pregnant..i was HUGE...and you really have no clue how big you will be..easier to take in.
  • I'd go up a few sizes, and probably add some inches to the length, too. That way you'll have extra fabric to cover the belly without worrying it will end up too short.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Okay, I just ordered it and went like a million sizes up :( Thanks all! This should be a fun adventure. Let's hope this works.
  • I was 8 months pregnant in my best friend's wedding and I ordered 3 sizes up. The dress had an empire waist and was flowy; however, I realized there was a satin slip that didn't bother me when I was newly pregnant and ordering the dress. I'm glad I went three sizes up and could have gone 4 really. The satin slip was constrictive on my belly since it didn't stretch at all. I had to have the bust taken in a huge amount, but that was fine. I'd go up three or even four sizes just to be sure. It doesn't take too long to do alterations if you set the appointment up ahead of time and make sure you have enough time for adjustments (my last alterations appointment was a week before the wedding to make sure the dress fit properly).

• This post freaks me the hell out. I am in my brother's wedding in April and will be 28 weeks pregnant. I only ordered 2 sizes up, and its a short dress to begin with.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCWinfree85:
    This post freaks me the hell out. I am in my brother's wedding in April and will be 28 weeks pregnant. I only ordered 2 sizes up, and its a short dress to begin with.

HUGE difference between 28 weeks and 36 weeks pregnant. Also it matters if this is your first pregnancy. My first pregnancy I was still fairly small at 28 weeks - nothing but a cute bump. This time around I am enormous and only halfway there. You should be ok :)

• I will be 38 weeks in my best friend's wedding next May, and we haven't had to order our dresses yet but I know it's coming soon, and I'm dreading it. This is my first baby and I have no idea how big I will be at that point.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageCWinfree85:
    This post freaks me the hell out. I am in my brother's wedding in April and will be 28 weeks pregnant. I only ordered 2 sizes up, and its a short dress to begin with.

This is me exactly..I'll be 28 weeks at my friend's wedding in April.  I ordered 3 sizes up, but am still nervous because it's a shorter dress.  We'll see!  The bride has been awesome though and said if it doesn't fit I can just wear something else. I really don't want to have to do that though..esp since I already paid for the dress! ;-)

• My husband and I have just decided to start trying and I am in a wedding at the end of May this year as the Matron of Honor. While I love the bride, she is VERY picky and I'm worried her reaction. If she doesn't kick me out of the wedding, I will have to figure something out for my dress. At this point in time, the most pregnant I can be will be around 7 months. I typically wear a size 8 and I ordered one size bigger already. I'm thinking I should call and change it to two sizes larger? This will be our first baby so I have no idea what to expect/how I will carry! It is a flowy-ish dress with a higher waist, but it is about knee length. Any words of wisdom?
  • This post is older than Jesus. Why is it being rehashed?
  • My husband and I have just decided to start trying and I am in a wedding at the end of May this year as the Matron of Honor. While I love the bride, she is VERY picky and I'm worried her reaction. If she doesn't kick me out of the wedding, I will have to figure something out for my dress. At this point in time, the most pregnant I can be will be around 7 months. I typically wear a size 8 and I ordered one size bigger already. I'm thinking I should call and change it to two sizes larger? This will be our first baby so I have no idea what to expect/how I will carry! It is a flowy-ish dress with a higher waist, but it is about knee length. Any words of wisdom?
    First- it's super creepy to  respond to a 2 year old post.  

Second- Wait and see if you do get pregnant, then worry about it.  Cart way before horse here

Third- I don't think I would want to be in a wedding of someone who would kick me out if I was pregnant.  One of my BM's was pregnant.  I was thrilled for her and worked with her to find a way to make her dress work. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was really confused by the posters names until I read the dates.

OP it's better to start a new thread rather than bump up a super old one.

View Full Size Image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"