Success after IF

sponges placed during IUI

OMFG. I had a "sponge" placed today during my IUI. When the nurse told me what she was doing, I thought it was a sponge like the things that go in a nose frida. Small, square, absorbent.

I just removed it and it was a f**cking tennis ball in a plastic bag. The Columbian cartel has gone through less efforts. I feel violated, and by a garbage bag no less.

Why was I not more emphatically warned? 

Re: sponges placed during IUI

• Do you know why they did that?  I did IUIs three times before doing IVF and I never had a sponge placed. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageCJ71903:
    Do you know why they did that?  I did IUIs three times before doing IVF and I never had a sponge placed. 

backflow. They couldn't tell if it was CM or man juice so they plugged me to help keep it in.

I feel like I'm going to throw up from removing it. That hurt A LOT! 

• Loading the player...
  • imagenikinikinine:

imageCJ71903:
    Do you know why they did that?  I did IUIs three times before doing IVF and I never had a sponge placed. 

backflow. They couldn't tell if it was CM or man juice so they plugged me to help keep it in.

I feel like I'm going to throw up from removing it. That hurt A LOT! 

Wow.  That's weird.  They always just had me lay on my back for 15 minutes or something afterwards.  They said that I would have some leakage, but never talked about a sponge.  They should have said something to you.  Hope you feel better.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • 1st off, I had no idea you were doing IUI, where the F have I been?

2nd, that sounds gross! Sorry you weren't prepared. 

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• imagenaflmj:

1st off, I had no idea you were doing IUI, where the F have I been?

This! Best of luck with the IUI; sorry about the sponge- that sounds less then wonderful!!

MoM to twins!! L & O born 11/29/10
  • OMG.  Really.  I had 6 IUI's and never had this, nor even heard of it.  So sorry :(  I can imagine how painful/traumatic that was.  Hope it at least served it's purpose.
    TTC #1 since 6/07, Dx = Ovulatory dysfunction, DOR, and autoimmune issues ~ 4 Clomid cycles, 1 Femara Cycle, 6 Injectible IUI cycles~ 4 Chemical PG's ~ IVF #1 Dec '09 = BFP!! Beta 8dp3dt = 68 10dp3dt = 276 16dp3dt = 1511 ~ First U/S 1/14 = 3 Heartbeats!!! Lost Baby C at 8w5d Emergency Cerclage at 22wks saved our babies lives Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagenaflmj:

I didn't know I was doing an IUI either. So don't feel bad!

It's kind of a crazy story. Basically my clinic wanted to follow my cycle after the 29 day AF and see if my body would restart on its own or if they'd have to medically intervene.
    I had a clinic appointment on Friday and it showed that I was growing follicles, there was a dominant follicle and they thought I'd ovulate over the weekend. We had sex as directed and I was supposed to go back to clinic today for a recheck to make sure that I did ovulate.
    Except...that I messed up the date and showed up for clinic yesterday. And I hadn't ovulated (yet) but my LH was surging and because of the timing, my RE offered to do an IUI for us today. Complete crazy town.  They said my levels looked great, but I'm completely unmedicated and I refused to do progesterone support because if this cycle fails I don't want anything else delaying my next IVF any further. 

I'm in shock. Maybe this is divine intervention? Or maybe it's just another thing I need to do to make me fully commit to this final fresh IVF.

I've never conceived through anything *but* IVF. Although, I'm feeling somewhat (probably foolishly) hopeful.   

• imagenikinikinine:
    imagenaflmj:

I didn't know I was doing an IUI either. So don't feel bad!

It's kind of a crazy story. Basically my clinic wanted to follow my cycle after the 29 day AF and see if my body would restart on its own or if they'd have to medically intervene.

I had a clinic appointment on Friday and it showed that I was growing follicles, there was a dominant follicle and they thought I'd ovulate over the weekend. We had sex as directed and I was supposed to go back to clinic today for a recheck to make sure that I did ovulate.

Except...that I messed up the date and showed up for clinic yesterday. And I hadn't ovulated (yet) but my LH was surging and because of the timing, my RE offered to do an IUI for us today. Complete crazy town.

They said my levels looked great, but I'm completely unmedicated and I refused to do progesterone support because if this cycle fails I don't want anything else delaying my next IVF any further. 

I'm in shock. Maybe this is divine intervention? Or maybe it's just another thing I need to do to make me fully commit to this final fresh IVF.

I've never conceived through anything *but* IVF. Although, I'm feeling somewhat (probably foolishly) hopeful.   

OK, I thought I was so out of the loop. Hoping that that IVF is not needed! 

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• well the surprise IUI is exciting!  Wishing you lots and lots of luck sweetie.
    Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • imageohiostategal:
    well the surprise IUI is exciting!  Wishing you lots and lots of luck sweetie.

Thanks! for the first time the holidays will be a nice distraction (and I may not even POAS!) 

• imagenaflmj:

This! I hope this IUI turns out to be some divine holiday intervention :) But this sponge thing... I've never heard of it! I thought the sperm swam towards their target before anything could leak out. I've always just laid down for 15 minutes after an IUI and then gone on my way. I am sorry they violated you! Why is nothing ever as easy as it is supposed to be?
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • WTF, I have never!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
    "Someday we will look at our babies and know it will be worth it. If it was easy, we would not have had our babies, the babies we were meant to have." From Amy052006
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Holy crap! I have never done an IUI (DH and I were straight to IVF candidates), but I've never heard of that! OMG - I would have been shocked!!

I hope your lady bits recover ok! :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"