1st Trimester

Cold Cut Question

So my doctor told me to avoid cold cuts as much as possible or, if I want to eat them, I should heat them until they're steaming. I don't eat a lot of cold cuts so it didn't occur to me to ask this until much later but...

Is it ok to heat it until it's steaming and then put it in the fridge to cool back down for a bit? I mean... if there is listeria, the heat should kill it... can it come back that fast?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cold Cut Question

• This is what i used to do..
  • You could do that. I never avoided lunchmeats though.
    Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told no cold meat....no chicken salad, no cold leftovers, etc. So, I wouldn't chance it.
  • Yes, that would be fine.  I wouldn't let it sit in the fridge for days though, that would be something I would do to eat later that day.
    Married February 26th, 2011 TTC #1 since May 2011
  • My OB told me to do exactly that! She recommended that I buy from the deli counter since it was better quality meat with not as many preservatives. Then to heat it in the microwave until it's piping hot, then I could chill it in the fridge. You just want to get rid of the listeria that can be present from handling. Just remember to always wash your hands good before handling food.
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I didn't eat any cold cuts until after 12 weeks with my first. Then I craved them bad. I just followed a moderation rule. We're both fine and he's totally healthy.
    Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
  • I was told to warm the meat with this pregnancy. I was never told this with my last and I ate sandwiches. Everything is moderation. I am sure letting it cool is completely fine, the heat has already killed the bacteria.
  • Cold cuts are just no good for me.... I have picked up fitpregnancy and they have some great recipes....
  • imageGhostMonkey:

imageMrsT0522:
    I was told no cold meat....no chicken salad, no cold leftovers, etc. So, I wouldn't chance it.

WTF? Your doctor is nuts.

Yeah this is strange..... I have heard the deli meats but left overs??? Your left overs should be covered and they are left overs (you already ate it so heat it up and eat them again...) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagehmartinez0809:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageMrsT0522:
    I was told no cold meat....no chicken salad, no cold leftovers, etc. So, I wouldn't chance it.

WTF? Your doctor is nuts.

Yeah this is strange..... I have heard the deli meats but left overs??? Your left overs should be covered and they are left overs (you already ate it so heat it up and eat them again...) 

I think the doctor meant don't eat leftovers cold....heat them up and eat them again.  

imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Yes, no COLD left overs...like no cold pizza, etc... She said to heat all leftovers, and refrigerate anything within an hour or throw it out.
  • My first doctor said I could eat lunch meat and hot dogs and all that that you hear not to eat. He said just eat it in moderation. He said if you were going to only eat one hotdog every other day that would be fine but to eat 3 in a day that might be pushing it. He was very laid back and my son is now 17 months and growing perfectly and hitting all his milestones way in advance. I also ate the lunch meats and was fine.
  • I'm a food microbiologist. If you heat the meat to kill the bacteria, chilling it should be ok as long as you don't wait too long to eat it again. If you didn't kill off all the bacteria, they can start to make a comeback in the fridge.

Also a note about the "fine in moderation" argument. You are not at risk because lunchmeat and hot dogs are inherently "unhealthy" foods so limiting intake will help. I hear many women say that "they ate lunchmeat all the time and their kids are fine". It's not a cumulative thing that will make your child less active or dumber or something. It's an all or none thing. The Listeria will not harm your child moderately over time, it will kill your baby upon acute infection. Those with Listeriosis develop febrile illness in the mother and spontaneous abortion of the fetus. Believe me,  you'd know if you had it and it only takes once. So please don't go with the "moderation" argument. Follow rules about Listeria-prone foods (in particular) or you are gambling with the child's life. While it is highly unlikely you will encounter infected products, don't risk it. Other forms of food poisoning are harmful because of dehydration in the mother (among other things), but Listeria monocytogenes crosses the placenta and will attack the baby.

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"