Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Choking on Solids = Gagging/Vomit?

My son has been eating solids for about a month now and has been doing great with it. We introduced avocados last week thinking he'd love them and he started gagging after the first few bites, choked, and threw it ALL up... it even came out his nose, poor baby :( I am assuming it was just too thick but I'm scared to try it again since he had such a bad reaction the first time... has this happened to anyone else?

Re: Choking on Solids = Gagging/Vomit?

• Choking =/= gagging. Completely different things.

I'd venture to guess that it was gagging because of the texture. DS did the exact same thing the first time I gave him avocado.

I thinned it out with a little water and had no further issues.

• We do BLW and she has thrown up once. Don't remember what the food was, but she kept shoveling it in and the gagging ensued when her mouth was too full. She continued eating afterwards as if nothing had happened (not the regurgitation mind you, I did clean that up first). Hasn't happened again. I just figure it is a learning process. Practice makes perfect.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO gagged on peas. But I don't blame her. Peas are nasty! lol

She also has started gagging on oatmeal sometimes and doesn't seem to want to eat it. I don't know what has gotten into her since it was the first thing she was introduced to and she used to love it. But I try to mix it with her fruits and veggies some so she is still getting it.

But we haven't been doing solids for long, or very regularly, so she hasn't ever thrown up from it yet. It could just be the thickness, like you said. Or she didn't like the taste.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Avocado is a weird texture for them. Hannah gagged and spit it up the first time we gave it to her. We just waited a bit and tried again Saturday. She's now a huge fan and gets pissed if you don't feed it to her fast enough. She's a chunk. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • try making it much thinner...i put mine into the baby bullet but a food processor would work too. he gags on his too - poor guy!!

he finds mashed banana's too chunky sometimes! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • =( My lil guy was ok with avocado (he didn't love it but he ate it), but he had a very similar reaction with creamed corn. Scared the poo poo right out of me. It was the 6 month Gerber food but both times I tried he coughed and gaged and threw up a lil. I'm a chicken and won't be trying that again until probably 8 months.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"